Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hate to disagree with you, but I must. As for training pilots I did that including LA and NY. Over and over I trained pilots transitioning to PIC in Boeing and Airbus products. Over and over I had to do remedial training in basic 'stick and rudder' skills and cope with inadequate knowledge of aircraft systems. Of course nearly all of them did not grow up in military training, nor were they with major US airlines. Bluntly, I am referring to the masses who do not have proper backgrounds nor training. We all know where most airline accidents come from. We also know fly-by-night freight operators also have those poor accident rates.

The point I am addressing is mass market adoption with poor command of the technologies they use. By definition most of us are fairly technologically literate and we are mostly early adopters. Neither we nor other well trained, disciplined or qualified people are the ones I am discussing.

The solution is proper working FSD, that no longer requires supervision.

Ultimately that is where we are heading, FUD works in the short run, but in the long run the quality of the product is what counts.

Any name change would simply invite more FUD. When I zoom out on the big picture, FUD isn't working.

I got the feeling someone is very nervous about this week’s FOMO and the ER next Monday.

Ever since Tesla has FSD beta on the road, every single news outlets should have been pre writing the “first FSD death” articles, and waiting for the time to publish which never came.

Sometime over last weekend someone decided to unleash these articles on an obviously false event. Now they flushed MSM’s last bit of credibility down the toilet, and next time people would call out their crying wolf.

They wasted a silver bullet on a Q1 report, wondering why?

Anybody from Germany want to comment on a poll showing that the greens are leading ? What will it mean in terms of environmental policy and specifically Tesla ?
There is a lot to be said about the greens. In short, they plan for no new ICE on streets in 2030 which is a positive. In terms of transition to sustainable transportation, they have the highest competence from all parties but make still a lot of mistakes about PHEVs or Hydrogen to mention just two.

Not sure anything will change...but:

In that article is this paragraph: "Gensler, who was sworn in to the SEC on Sunday, was a professor at the MIT Sloan School of Management before joining the commission. He was also the chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) during the Obama administration, a Treasury Department undersecretary during the Clinton administration and a partner at Goldman Sachs for almost two decades."

A fairly common pattern was seen today - jump out to an early lead, squander it, then tread water around break even. This time they pulled off a narrow win to get back on the right track. Compared to the season norm, recent games have had much tighter ranges between the highs and lows.

Today
Score: 718.99
Margin of W/L:
Attendance:
High - Low:

Season
Record:
38-36
Total margin of wins:
Total margin of losses:
YTD gain/loss:
13.32 1.89%
Best Win: 110.58 Mar 9
Worst Loss: -68.83 Jan 11
Last 10: 6-4
Streak:
W1
Avg margin of victory: 23.07
Avg margin of defeat:
Avg Attendance:
Avg Attendance of Last 10:
Avg High - Low:
Avg H - L of Last 10:

as OP said words matter ... and the name "AutoPilot" implies way too much at this point in time

Not to anyone who understands what the word means in its other most common context- aircraft.

In fact- in that context it's Ford, who calls their system Co-pilot, that is far more misleading.

Autopilot in an aircraft always requires a human to be paying attention and prepared to take over at any time. It can't fly the plane by itself.

An actual co-pilot can fly the plane by themselves.

I grant you there seems a depressingly large number of people who don't know what words mean (look at how many had to look up redound! :p) but I see no reason to change a fundamentally accurate description of a feature for them.

Not sure anything will change...but:

In that article is this paragraph: "Gensler, who was sworn in to the SEC on Sunday, was a professor at the MIT Sloan School of Management before joining the commission. He was also the chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) during the Obama administration, a Treasury Department undersecretary during the Clinton administration and a partner at Goldman Sachs for almost two decades."
So the fox will be guarding the hen house aka business as usual for the Shorty Enrichment Commission.

IHS Markit has been tracking customer loyalty for over two decades and Tesla nabbed three spots on the 25th annual loyalty list. The California automaker had the highest conquest percentage (for the second year in a row), highest alternative powertrain loyalty to make, and highest loyalty rate to a make among Asian Americans.

Not sure if this was posted, If Tesla hits 1M deliveries in 2021, that means it is just entering the s-curve of scaling production up. Exciting times ahead.

Tesla supplier chain orders hint at 1M-vehicle potential in 2021

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 3.39.12 PM.png

8547.jpeg

Last edited:
Additionally, for those old enough to recall when "Cruise Control" appeared as an option on cars, there were were incidents where drivers engaged cruise and then fully expected the car to drive itself (rather than merely keep the speed constant as intended).
Cruise control was introduced by Chrysler in 1958. Ironically, it was not called "cruise control", it was called "Auto-Pilot"!

1618959052216.png

Yes, in 1958, before automation had any pretensions of steering or braking the car, it was called "Auto-Pilot". Apparently, that name was too "dry" sounding so they switched to the more luxurious sounding "Cruise Control".

Cruise control was a luxury only item until the oil embargo and high gas prices of the 1970's made it a very sought after feature to reduce gas expenses. People were installing their own vacuum controlled automatic throttles. It was not a quick, easy or cheap mod to make and on most cars it would only work on gentle to moderate up hills depending upon the power of the engine . On downhills the car would still gain speed regardless of the set speed, sometimes allowing dangerously high speeds to be reached if there was a corner at the bottom of the hill.

Ahh, the good ol' days when American Corporations would never misleadingly advertise a mere throttle assistance aid with a word implying it could pilot you on a non-stop flight to Europe. But humans were less gullible in those days and didn't need well-meaning people to point out that it couldn't pilot the car, it could only regulate the throttle. ;)

Tesla's system, while still just a driver's aid, really can pilot the entire car by operating brakes, steering AND throttle. That still doesn't mean it doesn't have to be supervised. 🤪 All Autopilots require human supervision until full autonomy is reached. We still don't have fully autonomous oil tankers, cruise ships or airlines, even though every last one of them have multiple redundant autopilots installed (in case one of them breaks). Very expensive autopilots. A pilot is still required but an autopilot can make the task considerably easier, safer and more pleasant. Autopilots are here to stay.

Last edited:
And with that, my faith in Wired Magazine is gone...

View attachment 655537

They lost my respect many years ago. Absolute trash. What these publications don't realize is Tesla is going mainstream, right to the most profitable demographic. Attacking Tesla is a bad business move. Stupid actually. But many businesses without good vision will fail this decade. Ch-ch-ch-changes.

In relation to the marketing/ advertising debate.....
My wife received a briefing at her work yesterday the firm has entered into a "Corporate Partnership" with Tesla.
As result staff members get what I would describe as "modest discounts and incentives", the cost to Tesla would be minimal, certainly much less than regular advertising.
I will not give any clues, as the organisation is large enough that it isn't hard to guess.
The briefing at the one site may have involved more than 50 staff members...
The corporation owns multiple sites, and IMO the "Corporate Partnership" could extend to Solar and Batteries plus paid destination charging at those sites.
Word of the deal will get out, it is fairly likely that the corporation themselves will publicise it, especially if they are installing solar and batteries at their sites.
This is what effective marketing looks like.