Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought nobody got private discounts, not even Maye Musk.

Everybody pays the same price.

End of quarter deals are available to everybody.

* Reducing the price of untitled cars for excess mileage or minor dings, scratches or other cosmetic imperfections are "price adjustments" to reflect condition of the vehicle according to Elon. Not discounts.

I thought nobody got private discounts, not even Maye Musk.

Everybody pays the same price.

End of quarter deals are available to everybody.

* Reducing the price of untitled cars for excess mileage or minor dings, scratches or other cosmetic imperfections are "price adjustments" to reflect condition of the vehicle according to Elon. Not discounts.
For the first few years, Tesla owners got discounts on merchandise (corporate jackets, etc.). That may be what they are talking about. Or I could be completely wrong. Maybe they will knock a few dollars of the next batch of Teslaquila... :)

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
as OP said words matter ... and the name "AutoPilot" implies way too much at this point in time ...been using AP for 4 years and it still does a lot of scary stuff IMHO... it has improved considerably ....my wife who is a decent driver and generally an early adopter to technology refuses to use AP because it still requires close supervision and does weird stuff that scares her out of using it ...

AI/FSD is huge for the future of Tesla/TSLA .... i would prefer they slow roll it ...users will understand the functionality and they wont care what it is called once it works ... so if you under-promise on the name of the feature the FUD headlines will be that much harder ... Tesla finally learned to under promise on the vehicle deliveries ... they probably need to do same with AP/FSD...

I think AI/FSD FUD after driver deaths with FSD enabled(which will happen eventually) is one of the biggest risks TSLA faces before it breaks out again for its run at $2T market cap... real deaths and associated FUD could potentially stall/setback FSD rollout for many years ... people are weird that way in interpreting risk... think covid vaccine/nuclear power/plane crashes.... just saying
That’s being overly dramatic. If you actually pay attention you can predict with very high certainty when AP is going to have a problem. I do it all the time. I’ve made a game out of it. Every once in a while I get it wrong and AP handles a situation it didn’t on previous occasions. I’ve not be wrong in the other direction to date. I can even predict when there’s an above average chance of phantom braking.

Times when I won’t use AP is when I don’t trust the driving of the humans around me; speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, impatient, clearly agitated, tailgating, running up bumpers, aggressive braking or acceleration, texting, wandering in and out of their lane, yelling at their kids, fixing their hair etc... I know exactly what the car will do on AP, the humans not so much.

Regarding words, names and trademarks -

First - and I do say this not with humility but with pride - I think that most here recognize, and some acknowledge, that I wear the mantle of TMC’s word maven. The most “Disagrees” I’ve ever garnered was, in fact, for a post in which I declared “Words matter.”

Now, I understand, appreciate but disagree with the crux of @jbcarioca’s post. @Unpilot, @StealthP3D, @Krugerrand and others disagree for different reasons; mine are encompassed in my reasonably longstanding Sig-line. In that the new TMC format truncates signatures, I’m repeating it in-post:

”To NHTSA, NTSB and German Courts: Ban the deceptive word ‘Automobile’!”

Now, before someone jumps in with historical claims of intent: no - you cannot claim that “auto” means “horseless”, because it does not, regardless of whether that was indeed the intent of the word’s originators. However, even if you wish to take that line, it thereupon opens the use of the prefix to mean exactly what Tesla chooses it to mean.

And yes, I am being tongue-in-cheek with my call for proscription. Rather, I am using my line’s obvious facetiousness to shame them for their two-facedness. It is utterly incumbent to the point that ===>NO<=== deviation must occur upon those in authority and those charged with upholding and interpreting the law that they remain consistent in their dictates and terminology. One cannot, I aver, turn a blind eye to the idiocy of “automobile” and then proscribe “autopilot”.

With that, I would address @jbcarioca’s concerns by suggesting that rather than capitulating and altering its name, there should be a movement, one in which Mr Musk should aggressively participate, to excoriate those criticizing “autopilot” by revealing this double standard - this duplicity.
Whatever name you give to a technology, there will always be a category of number one class idiotic human beings who will misuse the technology, I do not think the words matter to that category of rear passengers driverless while on autopilot.

To all the other intelligent human beings using their brains to understand technology and the dangers related to it, words matters. However, the majority of this class probably understand the limits of the autopilot technology even if it would be better named or poorly named.

I agree that words matter for the majority of intelligent people.
Sex, Drugs&RnR while driving rear passenger seat on autopilot matters more for the other category.

About the whole Autopilot thing - I think most of the FUD and misleading headlines are not actually trying to harm Tesla. Some outlets definitely have an agenda and many exaggerate for clicks, but I think the biggest factor is that they just don't understand the tech. And that, to me, is extremely bullish. Once you understand the tech and the company, you understand how big the potential is. The fact that so many people don't get that yet means there's a lot of upside ahead.

IHS Markit has been tracking customer loyalty for over two decades and Tesla nabbed three spots on the 25th annual loyalty list. The California automaker had the highest conquest percentage (for the second year in a row), highest alternative powertrain loyalty to make, and highest loyalty rate to a make among Asian Americans.

"Conquest Percentage" sounds like the coolest statistic ever.

Not sure if this was posted, If Tesla hits 1M deliveries in 2021, that means it is just entering the s-curve of scaling production up. Exciting times ahead.

Tesla supplier chain orders hint at 1M-vehicle potential in 2021

View attachment 655532

View attachment 655534

One of my favorite quotes from futurist Ray Kurzweil (in his book The Age of Spiritual Machines):

"Exponential trends are immensely powerful but deceptive. They linger for eons with very little effect. But once they reach the "knee of the curve," they explode with unrelenting fury."​

[my emphasis, cuz I love that phrase]

For the first few years, Tesla owners got discounts on merchandise (corporate jackets, etc.). That may be what they are talking about. Or I could be completely wrong. Maybe they will knock a few dollars of the next batch of Teslaquila... :)
I would be happy if they HAD a batch of Teslaquila and could keep it in stock longer than 20 minutes so I had a shot at ordering one.

Hypothetical analysis:

Let's say you're looking at the world and seeing climate change require a new energy and transportation infrastructure to usurp the one society is largely relied on in the industrialized age (one in which everything is dependent upon for an individual to find wherewithal to live a good life). What would a resilient world look like that's capable of living in the new normal?

My opinion:
- Healthcare for everyone
- Access to running shelter, water, electricity, and internet
- Access to transport yourself and family wherever whenever
- Access to create any life for yourself regardless of starting point

Poverty level for the United States (arguably the best country on the planet) is $25k in annual income...which is better than the average of most of the sub-regions on the planet outside of the G20 [1]. To get to a great place, I'd say getting to at least the poverty level for every person in the world makes sense as a starting point for a conversation. It's estimated that the world population at saturation is ~10B people on the planet (right now it's ~8B).

That means an economy that can support $250T in world wide (i.e. "national") income across every country on the planet becoming industrialized on the same level as the United States (or $200T right now). World GDP would need to be bigger than that in order to support that level of income [2]. 2020 World GDP stands at $83T [3]...in essence there's ~3x to go just to get to the US poverty level.

Why am I posting this in the Tesla investor forum? With a lot of Elon Musk's ventures such as Starlink (internet), Tesla (electricity + transportation), Starship (transportation)...he's creating huge, huge avenues of growth for the world that we've never seen before in the now (not the future) and it's toward a more sustainable future for the planet. I'm very excited for the future after doing this hypothetical thought experiment, hopefully it makes sense to folks and its NOT nonsensical.

[1] Global Finance Magazine - World Wealth Distribution And Income Inequality 2021
[2] How Do You Calculate GDP With the Income Approach?
[3] World GDP Ranking 2021 - StatisticsTimes.com

This begs the question: What does Elon consider a "little" rig? 🤯

This is little:

031f0a7151e8ceaef357d5cddba9c1df.jpg

This is heavy: Falcon Heavy (business end)

Super Heavy will be out this Summer. ;)

Cheers!

Don't think this has been posted yet.

Obviously any ranking like this is inherently controversial, and many on this forum feel Tim Lee has an anti-tesla bias. That said, I think the article's fundamental framing of the issue misses at least one point. Namely, Tesla is already "winning" in the sense that their revenues related to their self-driving software offering already exceeds everyone else, with the possible exception of Mobileye. The fact that they are monetizing their progress long before realizing a certain threshold status (level 3, 4, 5, whatefer) suggests they have a fundamentally more robust business model. At my day job, the ability to monetize while making partial progress toward a goal is a hallmark of our investment thesis for early stage companies.

Speaking now to my individual experience, even the level of 8.2 FSD Beta as captured in the many videos is already something I consider worth what I paid for FSD 2.5 years ago. Just makes my driving experience that much better. YMMV, and I of course expect additional progress given what has been promised. But measured as a pure value exchange it's already been worth the price I paid.

OK, so it's just a poll - but it seems to be to be a very clear signal that _many_ voters are tired of a government that gives low priority to the environment.

Apart from electric cars this could relate to phasing out coal and especially (open pit) lignite power, better conditions for bicycles, some kind of limits on how SUVs dominate the city centers. Many Greens dislike cars of any kind, so it is not given that a Green government would (further) improve conditions for electric cars.
I'm about as far as one can get from being current on German politics but my common sense, seat of the pants impression is that a consortium of middle/center parties that balance science-based environmentalism and a true concern for the well-being of people and the environment with intelligent economic development would be optimum for Tesla to flourish in Germany and the rest of Europe. And that the Green party might be too extreme.

I say this because Tesla would also flourish in a pure capitalistic economic system where people are entirely unconcerned with the environment (beyond the personal benefits of driving a car that doesn't produce a cloud of toxic gases around it and in the city they live). The fact that Tesla checks even more boxes (global warming, reduced dependence on foreign energy, etc.) just makes the investment that much more compelling.

In relation to the marketing/ advertising debate.....
My wife received a briefing at her work yesterday the firm has entered into a "Corporate Partnership" with Tesla.
As result staff members get what I would describe as "modest discounts and incentives", the cost to Tesla would be minimal, certainly much less than regular advertising.
I will not give any clues, as the organisation is large enough that it isn't hard to guess.
The briefing at the one site may have involved more than 50 staff members...
The corporation owns multiple sites, and IMO the "Corporate Partnership" could extend to Solar and Batteries plus paid destination charging at those sites.
Word of the deal will get out, it is fairly likely that the corporation themselves will publicise it, especially if they are installing solar and batteries at their sites.
This is what effective marketing looks like.

Wink if its Dick Smith. ;)