Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not good, I guess the seat sensor may not be a thing?

They're a thing, they just don't do what some people think they do.

If you remove the driver weight at very low speed, the car throws itself into park as runaway protection. Folks often discover this feature in the drive-through when grabbing their wallet.

At higher speed it does not because it'd be highly dangerous to slam to a stop at speed because the driver lifted his butt to get something out of his pocket.

That said- the CR test makes no mention of the seatbelt.

The only way it could've worked as they described was the tester buckled it behind themselves with nobody "held" by it and left it that way when they moved out of the seat- because if you disconnect the seatbelt with AP engaged the car FREAKS THE HELL OUT beeping like mad and flashing the red TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY on the main screen (I actually double-checked this 2 days ago on my own car and confirmed it).

Note, too, he couldn't pull this off from an original parked state into AP- he had to first get the car up to speed to turn on AP with a driver in the seat (and the belt buckled though they don't mention it). Then TACC speed control down to 0 with AP still on, THEN move out of the drivers seat and TACC speed control back up.

(and not on a residential street that would've been top speed restricted either).

They're a thing, they just don't do what some people think they do.

If you remove the driver weight at very low speed, the car throws itself into park as runaway protection. Folks often discover this feature in the drive-through when grabbing their wallet.

At higher speed it does not because it'd be highly dangerous to slam to a stop at speed because the driver lifted his butt to get something out of his pocket.

That said- the CR test makes no mention of the seatbelt.

The only way it could've worked as they described was the tester buckled it behind themselves with nobody "held" by it and left it that way when they moved out of the seat- because if you disconnect the seatbelt with AP engaged the car FREAKS THE HELL OUT beeping like mad and flashing the red TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY on the main screen (I actually double-checked this 2 days ago on my own car and confirmed it).

Note, too, he couldn't pull this off from an original parked state into AP- he had to first get the car up to speed to turn on AP with a driver in the seat (and the belt buckled though they don't mention it). Then TACC speed control down to 0 with AP still on, THEN move out of the drivers seat and TACC speed control back up.

(and not on a residential street that would've been top speed restricted either).

More clickbait by CR . . .

Safe to post this here as it may impact stock?

Aren’t these the same dopes that said having a camera in place was a privacy issue? And sure I can come up with a dozen ways to bypass the idiot checks, but that’s on me. The driver assist systems are not made to be poka-yoke. We have to assume licensed and responsible folks are involved.

Side note. I unbuckled my belt while on NOA and system had a hissy fit!

Indeed, but with nearly 16k open interest at $750 this week, might be a struggle to progress much higher - whatever, will be a fascinating couple of days of ticker watching

You keep posting this, and in fairness I've been posting the opposite, but if that's how it worked MM's would have trillions instead of just a few handfuls of billions. They would love to hold TSLA under $750 at close tomorrow, that doesn't mean it's in their best interest expend effort 100x their loss in order to do so.

What we're seeing this morning is wildly expensive, essentially selling shares cheap that you know are going to rise and will have to eventually buy back. Millions and millions of them. That only goes so far until the algo turns red and it's logical to reverse course. I expect that will be happening about.........[any minute now].

Reactions: capster

I'd give credence to the uproar if Autopilot was an actual hazard to the public, yet these same journalists don't point out how incredibly dangerous all other cars are with human drivers.

Safe to post this here as it may impact stock?

Aren’t these the same dopes that said having a camera in place was a privacy issue? And sure I can come up with a dozen ways to bypass the idiot checks, but that’s on me. The driver assist systems are not made to be poka-yoke. We have to assume licensed and responsible folks are involved.

I would say it's fine to post here, but it has no bearing on the TX crash since we've confirmed autopilot was not in use.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Here’s a question for the investor mee

Most of the software folks are easily getting in the high $100k to $200k region, without a doubt. Labelers are probably $50k-80kish. Remember they are in a high cost of living state. But I don't think the team is quite that large. Do you have a source on that?

Either way, once FSD is ready the margin will be extremely high. At some point it will only require a skeleton crew to maintain it.
The question was spawned from THIS POST asserting 800 folks total...

i don't know what the industry is like out there, but those salaries wouldn't be remotely competitive in Northern VA for a good software developer in that field.
I've heard it said that Tesla may draw folks more for being cutting edge and with stock comp.

If THIS is accurate then may not be too far off:

Code:
Software Development
Senior Software Engineer
13 salaries reported
$153,754 per year

Software Engineer
7 salaries reported
$123,580 per year

Software Developer
27 salaries reported
$116,290 per year

Software Test Engineer
5 salaries reported
$123,805 per year

Technical Program Manager
13 salaries reported
$132,222 per year

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: capster and AZRI11

Lmao. "“It was a bit frightening when we realized how easy it was to defeat the safeguards, which we proved were clearly insufficient.”" Wait until you tell them what happens in literally every other vehicle with or without cruise control when you set it to accelerate and leave the driver's seat.

Impossible to fool other system? Anyone tried using a life size doll head taped to the seats?

Also I would wonder what is more dangerous. Taking a 5 step process to defeat ap or randomly having eye tracking system disengage while cruising on the highway?

Those "Safeguards" are MORE than sufficient. If people want to try and game the system by going through all of those steps, the manufacturer simply cannot and should not be held responsible.

This discussion should have ended a long time ago .... blaming Tesla for this person's actions is ridiculous.

You're preaching to the choir in this thread, but we don't matter. What's important is what the general population comes out of this believing.

In fact, situations like this ... it'd be nice if the company HADN'T made an enemy of practically all media, and maybe even had some sort of Department designed to Relate to the Public. Might be useful, is all i'm saying.