Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ll find out how clever the writers at SNL really are, or whether they’ll just be skimming recent mainstream media for material.
Mainstream material is critical to be relevant and funny, so I’m hoping they just show how talented they are by making him funny.

90277b513b3392266b1c8ea2783109f7.png
Guaranteed

Will Tesla release an ASIC tied to Powerwall to use excess electricity rather than selling back to the grid for a paltry rate?
Generally the excess energy would come from solar, not the Powewall. So if they were putting ASICs in every Powerwall they probably wouldn't want to sell Powerwalls without solar because there wouldn't be excess energy. Hmm...

There's absolutely special buckets of road money.

For example

In NC each dollar collected in gasoline taxes goes directly to one of two different highway funds (the split between them also set by law) and that money can ONLY be used for that purpose.

For the vast majority the EV tax is cheaper.

Someone posted the state by state list of EV charges earlier, in virtually every case it's quite low compared to the gas tax for an average # of miles in an average ICE vehicle.

To give an example again from my state- it's $130 for an EV.

The gasoline tax is 36.1 cents per gallon. The average ICE vehicle in the US fleet gets ~25 mpg, and drives (outside of covid) about 13,500 miles per year.

That's 540 gallons of gas, which is $194.94.

So about 1/3rd more the average driver pays in fuel taxes than I pay for the EV registration tax.

-----
EDIT- actually it's even worse for the ICE driver.... there's also the 18.3 cent FEDERAL gas tax, there's no equivalent for EVs there... so at 540 gallons of gas that's another almost $100 a year in FEDERAL gas tax the EV driver doesn't have to pay.

Meaning the gas car on average is paying almost $300 yr, vs the EV driver paying the $130 tax.
-----

Obviously there'll be exceptions (esp. for low-miles drivers in a Prius or something since the EV tax is flat and the gas tax is effectively per mile based on MPG) but for most? The EV tax is lower currently.

As more EVs get on the road that's likely to have to change though because the roads still need funding.
So Norway must be near or past the tipping point of needing to fund roads from something other than gas tax. What do they do?

I find it pretty simple. We want cleaner air so provide incentives accordingly. Higher tax on polluters. So raise gas tax. Raise tax on electricity produced non-sustainable ways and remove subsidies.
All overtime of course. This isn't hard folks.
We all need to breathe; even lobbyists....I'm told, but have no direct, concrete evidence to support this conclusion. Further studies would be required to completely dispell rumors to the opposite.

So Norway must be near or past the tipping point of needing to fund roads from something other than gas tax. What do they do?

I find it pretty simple. We want cleaner air so provide incentives accordingly. Higher tax on polluters. So raise gas tax. Raise tax on electricity produced non-sustainable ways and remove subsidies.
All overtime of course. This isn't hard folks.
We all need to breathe; even lobbyists....I'm told, but have no direct, concrete evidence to support this conclusion. Further studies would be required to completely dispell rumors to the opposite.
12,69% electric cars in Norway. Source: Elbilbestand

Idea: After opening skit, cut to band on stage, voiceover says "and here's tonight's guest Elon Musk," an updated Cybertruck rolls onto the stage (i.e. a reveal) and Elon climbs out of it to do his speech
Used to work in that building and that might be difficult getting something the size of a CT up to that floor. Maybe if they did a virtual set on the ground sure. Though I have seen a car sitting on it's side in the hallway outside the Fallon studio but that was a smaller sedan.

Generally the excess energy would come from solar, not the Powewall. So if they were putting ASICs in every Powerwall they probably wouldn't want to sell Powerwalls without solar because there wouldn't be excess energy. Hmm...
You missed the part where all new solar installs are coupled with Powerwall. It simplifies the installation with regard to inverters. This dovetails nicely.

Choose your “burn” option: grid or mining depending on localized re-sell rates.

Last edited:
Texas will be on the list next year at either $100 or $200 depending on which bill gets passed. $100 is only a bit over what the average driver pays in gas tax so it's not the end of the world. $200 is punishment for EVs.

So I have a 2 driver household, if we go somewhere together one car gets more mileage than the other. If I buy a 3rd vehicle it gets less mileage than the other two.

$100 per year is more than I paid as a Prius driver in gas taxes for the primary car
$100 per year is 3 to 4 times the gas taxes I would have paid for the secondary car (even it was an old beater like a Saturn SL2)
$100 per year is something like 50 to 75 times the gas taxes I would pay for a tertiary car (even if it was a pickup truck that got 20 mpg).

One of the big advantages for an EV is that I don't have to do oil changes or have gas go stale so a car can sit unused for weeks at a time and still be expected to be drivable and safe to use the next time I need it. But an EV tax that is flat rate like that prohibits me from keeping a spare car that's an EV and I really don't want to maintain a gas car anymore.

All that gets even worse if the annual fee is above $100.

Last edited:
Idea: After opening skit, cut to band on stage, voiceover says "and here's tonight's guest Elon Musk," an updated Cybertruck rolls onto the stage (i.e. a reveal) and Elon climbs out of it to do his speech
And then Miley Cyrus swings in on a wrecking ball and breaks the Cybertruck’s windows.

Jeez, reading the Twitter comments on SNL feed.

Feeling a little naive on just how unpopular Elon is irl...

I'm taking the blue pill and staying right here in my cosy echo chamber!

View attachment 656680

SNL is heavily followed by Leftist Twitter because the show mercilessly skewered Trump during his presidency. Leftist Twitter is not real life. For evidence of this, look no further than who it supported for the presidential nomination, and who actually won (among many other policy position examples).

You missed the part where all new solar installs are coupled with Powerwall. It simplifies the installation with regard to inverters. This dovetails nicely.

Choose your “burn” option: grid or mining depending on localized re-sell rates.
Brett Winton at ARK has been promoting excess wind and nuclear used for BC mining for a while now.

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
There's absolutely special buckets of road money.

For example

In NC each dollar collected in gasoline taxes goes directly to one of two different highway funds (the split between them also set by law) and that money can ONLY be used for that purpose.
Special one way, not the other. What happens if they don't bring in enough money? Do they just let the roads fall apart or do they take from the general fund? I guarantee their roads are not fully funded by gas taxes and general funds are required. In years where they do take in enough, then they don't tap the general. Money is fungible, placing things in special categories is rarely a big deal.

I think a lot people saw the dope smoking clip from that Rogan idiot and the breaking the window thing. That’s what attracts clicks.

SNL could be a chance to counteract that and start a new conversation.
Do you think they care though? I've never heard someone say "oh, Teslas suck because that guy did a drug once". Most people are not focused on companies and leadership. They just see shiny things they like and buy them. The connection isn't very strong.

Interesting to see TSLAQ all get bat sugar mad about Elon hosting SNL.

Why is that? What are they fearing? I thought Elon is popular enough that SNL won’t matter that much, did I miss any bullish potential for this?

Or is it because TSLAQ is just a bunch of horrible people?

Yes. But even though I agree, I fixed it for you.

Interesting to see TSLAQ all get bat sugar mad about Elon hosting SNL.

Why is that? What are they fearing? I thought Elon is popular enough that SNL won’t matter that much, did I miss any bullish potential for this?

Or is it because TSLAQ is just a bunch of horrible jealousy people?
They want him in prison. During the Model 3 reveal, they had convinced themselves that the SEC was going to take him off stage in handcuffs. SNL gives him legitimacy in their minds.

So, yes. Horribly jealous people. And dilusional.

Brett Winton at ARK has been promoting excess wind and nuclear used for BC mining for a while now.
It would go a long way to just cease mining. There are only a small portion left anyway and no one even knows how many exist. It would be easy to do and vastly help the Eco image. Easy Peasy.

They want him in prison. During the Model 3 reveal, they had convinced themselves that the SEC was going to take him off stage in handcuffs. SNL gives him legitimacy in their minds.

So, yes. Horribly jealous people. And dilusional.
Basically Qanon. Waiting for the storm.

It would go a long way to just cease mining. There are only a small portion left anyway and no one even knows how many exist. It would be easy to do and vastly help the Eco image. Easy Peasy.
My understanding is that “mining” includes transaction logging/verification. That’s going full blast.

Last edited: