Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So much to say, so little time. I do with Elon would let the other members of his team answer the majority of the questions as he has a tendency to get ahead of himself.
let's be realistic. as interesting as it is to talk about I^2*R of high voltage lines (being sure to add that it works for copper OR aluminum), he does not do all that well staying on point in these calls. He obviously delivers for shareholders where it matters, but could stand to improve in this area.

First recent call I remember where Elon was obviously in a different location. A little disconnected as it did not seem obvious who was supposed to answer. Much better when he is in the same room with them.
They know what all but the last few questions will be. You would get an F on a schoolwork with that little preparation. Except for the statement about the Houston accident (from Lars?) nothing seemed prepared about what to say or even who would answer. As usual.

**Barfs**
Lol. Wow. I’m still 100% Gung Ho, but very odd presentation of nearly every aspect of that ER.

Can someone recap on my recap:
FSD Delay?
4680 Delay?
S/X Delay?
Solar roof Smoother installs with Powerpack?
Bitcoin will Hold & accept?
Energy is a large prospect still?
Crash Debunked?
OP Ex going to drop?

What Elon is saying is HUGE about re-wiring for powerwalls/solar.

This will pass over most people's heads, but this is HUGE for install time.

Example, in our house Tesla had to re-route EVERY SINGLE circuit from the main panel to their own new panel. The new setup allows them to bypass that kind of installation and instead to essentially put the PW2's+solar in line with the main grid entry point and not touch the main panel.

In the example of our house it was a 5 day install for my house (early on in PW2 deployment back in 2017), this part of the install was at least 1/2 of that time.

TL;DR - this will let Tesla and 3rd party installers to ramp up installations. And I bet (my take) is that it will allow for implementation of possible Vehicle 2 Grid and Virtual Power Plant operations.
I wholeheartedly agree, esp. re. VPP -> Prev VPP post

Last edited:
First recent call I remember where Elon was obviously in a different location. A little disconnected as it did not seem obvious who was supposed to answer. Much better when he is in the same room with his team.

Hard to concentrate with Pete Davidson mooning you.

pete-davidson-arrives-at-the-2017-mtv-video-music-awards-at-the-forum-on-august-27-2017-in-ing-jpg.657275

**Barfs**
Lol. Wow. I’m still 100% Gung Ho, but very odd presentation of nearly every aspect of that ER.

Can someone recap on my recap:
FSD Delay?
4680 Delay?
S/X Delay?
Solar roof Smoother installs with Powerpack?
Bitcoin will Hold & accept?
Energy is a large prospect still?
Crash Debunked?
OP Ex going to drop?

And yet.....despite all those delays you mentioned(and we can question if they're actually delays later), as someone pointed out about something I talked about weeks ago, Tesla's P/E is now down to the 700's after this ER. Even if they barely ship 2-3k new S's in Q2, combined with the expanded production of the 3/Y especially in China and further gross margin expansion, Tesla's P/E will drop to around 500 on Q2 Earnings.

Now imagine what's going to happen to Tesla's P/E in Q3 when S/X are both in volume production again and there's further expansion in MIC Y.

Automotive Margins - 26.5%

Regulatory Credits - 518M

Wow! Here it is 2021 and it's amazing how those non-recurring regulatory credits just keep occurring! Tesla is amazing! Over half a Billion dollars!

Now that's the kind of "shrinking", non-recurring revenue stream an investor can really love! One that keeps growing as it keeps occurring!

Wow! Here it is 2021 and it's amazing how those non-recurring regulatory credits just keep occurring! Tesla is amazing! Over half a Billion dollars!

Now that's the kind of "shrinking", non-recurring revenue stream an investor can really love! One that keeps growing as it keeps occurring!
A real metric that illustrates the lack of ZEV competition compared with expectations. (i.e., it’s getting worse for them).

I hope this call finally puts to rest the rampant speculation on this board about all those models that soon will have 4680s. It will be 1,5 to 2 years before we see meaningfull quantities of those cells go into Plaids, Model Ys, Cybertrucks, Semis and so on. But not to worry, the current batteries are great, reliable and cheap - look at those auto gross margins - and next year production of those batteries will double. Tesla will grow incredibly fast, even without 4680 being ramped yet.

Wasn't the greatest earnings call (you could tell Elon was worked up on a few things), nor the best report... but Q3 or Q4 is shaping up to have a massive jump. Not sure which, but 20k S/X and an extra 40k 3/Y from either improvements in China or a new factory (ies) will have quarterly revenue pushing 15b. When Berlin/Austin really get going Q4-2022 Q2, we are looking at 20b. The party is just getting started and sadly we have to deal with the small talk for a while longer.

Whoah! Check this guy out. He's chalking out 100 x 100 mile region in Nevada on his solar bicycle to say exactly what Elon said today. That's all the solar we need to power the USA. (Although I thought Elon said for the planet). Anyway, still digesting this fact... then got an idea.

And this is 100 x 100 mi on the map, about (100 crow mi from Phx to Tucson).

1619478478626.png

• Apr 13, 2021
CoinBase IPO (tomorrow) taking BTC to new highs -- 63K, so Tesla BTC investment on track to double.
Should - Master of Coin take some chips off the table? ( I would, but Tesla has said they will not be converting BTC to cash)
  • Apr 13, 2021
That's not actually what Elon tweeted. He said that when somebody buys a Tesla product with bitcoin, that payment would not be converted into fiat currency.

That doesn't mean that Tesla won't ever buy and sell bitcoin, it's just a separate decision from a product payment. I don't think Tesla plans to hoard bitcoin like digital gold, I think they plan to use it as currency (but with a different dilution / inflation risk profile).

Cheers!
  • Apr 26, 2021
Bitcoin position trimmed by 10%.

That's a lot less than I think people here thought they sold.

Yeah, not all all of us here... ;)

Cheers!

Wasn't the greatest earnings call (you could tell Elon was worked up on a few things), nor the best report... but Q3 or Q4 is shaping up to have a massive jump. Not sure which, but 20k S/X and an extra 40k 3/Y from either improvements in China or a new factory (ies) will have quarterly revenue pushing 15b. When Berlin/Austin really get going Q4-2022 Q2, we are looking at 20b. The party is just getting started and sadly we have to deal with the small talk for a while longer.
While the ER Call was pretty Meh........not sure how you're getting that the earnings report wasn't anything but amazing

- Gross Margins improved without S/X
- S/X had a direct 200 million hit to earnings.
- Elon's pay package had a bigger hit than expected which simply means less of a hit in the future
- When S/X are actually back to full production, that 200 million hit turns into anywhere from a 300-500 million swing (200 million hit + the actual profits from selling 20-25k S/X's in a quarter).

For Tesla to actually beat Non-GAAP and expand margins with that 200 million hit thanks to S/X downtime is pretty amazing.

While the ER Call was pretty Meh........not sure how you're getting that the earnings report wasn't anything but amazing

- Gross Margins improved without S/X
- S/X had a direct 200 million hit to earnings.
- Elon's pay package had a bigger hit than expected which simply means less of a hit in the future
- When S/X are actually back to full production, that 200 million hit turns into anywhere from a 300-500 million swing (200 million hit + the actual profits from selling the vehicles from selling 20-25k S/X's in a quarter).
Yeah I dont see why people dont see stuff like this. Also throw in the Elon compensation being more then expected, yet the cap stays the same. This simply means that the executive compensation plan will be fully paid out sooner. I think most of it will be gone in Q2 and Q3 leaving a massively profitable Q4. Capital expenditures for Austin and Berlin will also be drastically lower later in the year.

Elon said they are higher power, not higher energy.
Thanks, I fixed it.

Late 2018, we needed 2 powerwalls minimum to fire up an A/C unit. Maybe one does it now.
It also means we paid too much for ours, but at least we got to use it this long already. All through the pandemic. It was total peace of mind actually.

Interesting to hear that Elon expects S/X production rates to go up to 2000 and maybe even 2400 per week. With a few weeks downtime that would be 100,000 to 120,000 cars per year, more than ever before. They might get there some time next year. But if they want to keep selling that many cars for several years in a row, I expect that the many internal changes they are now focussing on will also have to be followed by a more distinct exterior refresh.