Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those who understand what is happening can do something to help, at many levels.
I've long thought we need a practical FUD_fighting thread here. Posts would be nothing more than links to easily upvoted/commented articles / tweets that the folks here can add their virtual weight to. Posts where people are asking honest opinions on issues surrounding EVs, or where people are being attacked by FUDsters on twitter/facebook/reddit wherever.

Most of us have actual day jobs, and not enough time to go searching for these battles, but up/downvoting appropriate posts and comments is trivial for me if people link to them from an uncluttered, easily viewed thread of such content.
TMC has a lot of members, we should focus our efforts. tweets and retweets are free :D

That's been repeatedly debunked.

<citation needed>

Because no, I don't think it has.

Also, there are a LOT of millionaires who drive Camrys, Hondas, Hyundai, etc. and for whom a Model 3 or a Model Y is not even a stretch

A well optioned Camry (or Accord, or comparable Hyundai) costs a similar price to an SR+ 3, that's not a "stretch" anyway.

The discussion specifically, in case you didn't read it all- was versus cars like the Corolla that can be had for about 20k. I've seen no evidence, let alone 'repeated debunking' that folks are commonly cross shopping those with a new Tesla.

That's why Elon keeps repeatedly telling us the cars are still too expensive and lots of people still can't buy them as a result.

On pricing models:

As a company, Tesla has many product lines. In coming up with future pricing and/or market caps, each line contributes. Each business line likely has different probabilities of coming true. For instance, in seems like their can be high confidence or high probability of Tesla selling 1M cars this year and 2M cars some near term year. I would assign a lower probability to robotaxi network contributing.

The thing to me is to assign probabilities for different things to happen, then come up with a future price to justify holding now. There are many ways to value the total probability of events.

Which model should be used? Why?

I've only used the Specific Multiplication Rule of Independent Events

The systems by Huawei and Mobileye that will be available at the end of 2021 and work anywhere in China with no geofence disproves this logic.

Something that currently is not actually there doesn't prove anything.

When it's actually deployed to consumers and working as advertised THEN it proves something.

(If it misses the date-or does not work as well as advertised- that proves something else :))

You are mistaking Tesla and Elon musk’s yearly proclaimation for other people.

This is called assuming facts not in evidence.

So far neither has deployed a consumer L4/L5 system.

Both have claimed they're really close to doing so, and both have shown impressive demo videos.

Lots of OTHER companies have also claimed to be "close" over the years and shown impressive demo videos- and still don't have a consumer product on the market.

It's totally understandable if someone is no longer willing to give Elon the benefit of the doubt given the frequency of missed dates.

It's totally irrational to simply take another companies word that they "secretly" solved the problem dozens of other companies- including those backed by Apple, Google, and others have been working on for over a decade, especially without any public-facing fleet or data collection to work the problem- and that it'll be out shortly.

This is NOT a small smear campaign - there is a HUGE amount of underlying oil & gas /coal/ cars/ ethical-brain-impaired-wealthy financial support for the FUD campaign. THOSE are the actors to confront. "Win the war, not endless small battles". Sun Tzu

Tesla could also, as another TMC member suggested, appoint as de facto Pravduh spokesperson Raub Maurer of YouTube Tesla Daily - also feeding him early Tesla news

Those who understand what is happening can do something to help, at many levels. Retweeting intelligent posts on Biden's Twitter, shopping wisely/ ethically, voting, donating, educating ... pushing for an amendment requiring voters to submit to a citizenship aptitude test regularly (we do require an aptitude test for driving, not?) ...
The war is already over, these last few "battles" are just generals going thru the motions hoping for small personal victories. We need to focus on cell production.

This statement is in present tense:
Bladerskb said:
The myth that Lidar and/or HD maps, slows you down or prevents you from scale needs to die.

This statement references future events that have not yet happened to "prove" your point:
The systems by Huawei and Mobileye that will be available at the end of 2021 and work anywhere in China with no geofence disproves this logic. The Huawei system uses three lidars and while the mobileye supervision system doesn’t use lidar, they both use HD map.

See the problem?

This is making Gary look like so gullible it's hard to believe he's not joking. I thought he prided himself on having good analytic ability?

He needs to explain why he appears to believe there was no one in the driver's seat! From where I sit, there's not a single good reason to believe the seat was empty at impact.

Not a good look.
Steering wheel is the smoking gun. I wish people would just use Occam's razor here. Person without seatbelt was thrown around vs coming up with Rube Goldbergian scenarios.

I don't think when Elon said the sale was to "prove the liquidity" of BTC, it meant the same thing some of us are thinking. Call me a fanboi, hell I call myself a fanboi, but the man thinks on another plane of existence. He probably was just trying to dumb it down for us. "Think of an easy word that is close enough to describe it. Liquidity it is."

Note 3 – Digital Assets, Net

During the three months ended March 31, 2021, we purchased and received $1.50 billion of bitcoin. During the three months ended March 31, 2021, we recorded $27 million of impairment losses on bitcoin. We also realized gains of $128 million through sales during the three months ended March 31, 2021. Such gains are presented net of impairment losses in Restructuring and other in the consolidated statement of operations. As of March 31, 2021, the carrying value of our bitcoin held was $1.33 billion, which reflects cumulative impairments of $27 million. The fair market value of bitcoin held as of March 31, 2021 was $2.48 billion.

From Tesla's 2021 Q1 10-Q: (pg. 22)

2018 CEO Performance Award

The achievement status of the operational milestones as of March 31, 2021 is provided below. Although an operational milestone is deemed achieved in the last quarter of the relevant annualized period, it may be certified only after the financial statements supporting its achievement have been filed with our Forms 10-Q and/or 10-K.

CEO Comp.Milestones.2021Q1.png

(1) Achieved in the first quarter of 2021 and expected to be certified following the filing of this Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q.

Attn: @The Accountant

That's been repeatedly debunked. A lot of Tesla Model 3 buyers do the "stretch" to get into a BEV with lower operating costs. Also, there are a LOT of millionaires who drive Camrys, Hondas, Hyundai, etc. and for whom a Model 3 or a Model Y is not even a stretch - it's just a very inexpensive car to operate. Millionaires like that. That's how many of them became millionaires!
My wife fits this. Even though we have a net worth of 7-8 digits for 15 years spending money on high end brands has been like pulling teeth. She loved her Camry and no car could compare to her until we started buying Tesla's. She was never really happy with our Lexus, BMW or Mercedes purchases.

Who knows if this will come to pass, but it seems like it would have both short and long term implications for Tesla’s demand.

“Coming this summer: Gas stations running out of gas”

Basically, too few properly certified drivers available for tanker trucks to distribute fuel to stations. I sure hope it happens. It would be a convenient illustration of how fragile ICE infrastructure really is. And how that “5 minute fill up at the pump” argument in favor of ICE misses so much nuance.
Hey, got a light? I read earlier that gasoline burns.

"Kloza thinks the national average will flirt with $3 a gallon this summer, and could top that level if any hurricanes hit the Gulf Coast or there are any other disruptions to supply, such as a refinery fire."​

NOT ADVICE!

Hey, got a light? I read earlier that gasoline burns.

"Kloza thinks the national average will flirt with $3 a gallon this summer, and could top that level if any hurricanes hit the Gulf Coast or there are any other disruptions to supply, such as a refinery fire."​

NOT ADVICE!
Do you say that there is no match for big oil? ;)