Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I loved my B-Class electric. Fantastic city car.
I love my '08 Benz CLK350 - best mechanical ICE of its generation, works flawlessly - *and* was made the year 2008 when Mercedes saved Tesla by contracting them to produce the electrical power train/ battery for the electric Smart - also investing $50M in Tesla. So maybe the EOQ is paying a courtesy visit and being smart again getting a Tesla charger deal. Would serve the mission well, stop the current multiple charger standards nonsense.

Highly doubt the MoC title was simply because Zach bought some Bitcoin. There is something nifty going on behind the scenes here, but is probably in early stages.

The talk about TSLA shares being certified with blockchain technology is interesting.

I'm no expert on the rules that public trading exchanges like NYSE and NASDAQ impose upon their listed companies but it seems there would be little point in certifying the shares with blockchain as long as they are still listed on a major exchange. Because those exchanges are set up to allow the "temporary" creation of shares under the guise of efficiency and expediency.

However, blockchain technology opens the door to a mass exodus from the established exchanges to a more modern exchange with all the corruption and fat cut out. Disruption may be at hand within the next several years and TSLA and SpaceX may be leading the charge! I don't see SEC rules as being a serious impediment to the establishment of a new exchange using blockchain technology and that may be exactly what Elon is exploring. Due to cost reductions in technology, the barriers to entry have never been lower.

Last edited:
True, but even the Master of Coin needs to answer to the Techno King! ;)
Remember, Saylor's MSTR CEO offered to explain its strategy to Elon, and SpaceX 's treasurer attended a MSTR seminar. The BTC moves were not done without solid prelim footwork. So I trust the Tesla folks on that - all the while being entertained and rewarded at the same time, possibly - knock on wood.

The talk about TSLA shares being certified with blockchain technology is interesting.

I'm no expert on the rules that public trading exchanges like NYSE and NASDAQ impose upon their listed companies but it seems there would be little point in certifying the shares with blockchain as long as they are still listed on a major exchange. Because those exchanges are set up to allow the "tempory" creation of shares under the guise of efficiency and expediency.

However, blockchain technology opens the door to a mass exodus from the established exchanges to a more modern exchange with all the corruption and fat cut out. Disruption may be at hand within the next several years and TSLA and SpaceX may be leading the charge! I don't see SEC rules as being a serious impediment to the establishment of a new exchange using blockchain technology and that may be exactly what Elon is exploring. Due to cost reductions in technology, the barriers to entry have never been lower.
Synthetic shares might be a bit tougher if a new blockchain exchange is designed to prohibit such foolishness.

It might be refreshing to see a market where stocks trade only when ownership can be established via something like blockchain.

I'm no expert on the rules that public trading exchanges like NYSE and NASDAQ impose upon their listed companies but it seems there would be little point in certifying the shares with blockchain as long as they are still listed on a major exchange. Because those exchanges are set up to allow the "tempory" creation of shares under the guise of efficiency and expediency.

With Binance you can trade tokens that are backed by actual Tesla shares. That basically allows 24/7 of TSLA trading with no interference from clearing houses, market makers etc. Volume is obviously tiny but it's almost like an entirely new exchange. No more of this ridiculously long settlement period crap. I'm still waiting on verification to try it out. :rolleyes:

With Binance you can trade tokens that are backed by actual Tesla shares. That basically allows 24/7 of TSLA trading with no interference from clearing houses, market makers etc. Volume is obviously tiny but it's almost like an entirely new exchange. No more of this ridiculously long settlement period crap. I'm still waiting on verification to try it out. :rolleyes:

TSLA tokens do not trade 24x7 .. " Stock tokens are tradable after 2 minutes open and before 2 minutes close during market hours "
I wouldn't give Binance too much credit re helping get a less screwy market. No guarantees I can see that they can help correct the current SEC failure to act according to its stated mission. In fact the more intermediaries the more chances of things going awry - like phantom shares, shares used for shorting without compensation, or plain business failure - not to mention outright theft, since it's now so easy to walk away with billions on a flash drive.

Bad News: The NTSB might not release results for a number of weeks (even though they probably already know what happened, for the most part)..
In the article NTSB states "a preliminary report typically comes out in a month, but we are working hard to get it out as soon as possible". We're already a week and a half since the accident so that would suggest the report should be out within the next 2 weeks.

I wonder...
Tesla already has fractional shares for sale at Binance.
What if Tesla a) made its own trading portal/platform and b) made 'shadow' shares with a 1-1 fraction? (Seems silly, but to drive home the point that it is, in fact, an alternative to ordinary exchange listing)

As a start, it is only just another way to trade Tesla shares. But other might join, due to the fame of Tesla and Elon.
Over time, features can be added to the platform.
Lets imagine that people get used to it, it has a great UI. It has very low transaction costs.
Years go by.

Questions:
How many years or transactions - or both would it take for such a portal to gain enough trust for investors before Tesla can begin to cut the ties of traditional listing?
Is the current de-facto ability for MMs to issue almost limitless amount of virtual shares tied to being a public company under (lax and badly supervised) SEC regulations or being listed at the traditional exchange - or both?

Who knows if this will come to pass, but it seems like it would have both short and long term implications for Tesla’s demand.

“Coming this summer: Gas stations running out of gas”

Basically, too few properly certified drivers available for tanker trucks to distribute fuel to stations. I sure hope it happens. It would be a convenient illustration of how fragile ICE infrastructure really is. And how that “5 minute fill up at the pump” argument in favor of ICE misses so much nuance.
Regardless of the causes, the administration would be blamed and people would believe that.

Wow, everyone saw something different on this, how funny!
I saw Mercedes Engineers, one of them owning a Tesla, all taking the Annual Factory Tour to see how they can improve their own margins.

I saw it as Mercedes Marketing team doing a phenomenal job of product placement.

"Where can we get the best exposure for EQS 'spy shots'?"
"Nurburgring? nah, not a sports coupe"
"out on our test track? nah, no one seems to care"
"Aren't there half a dozen drones flying over the Tesla Fremont Factory at any one time?"
*lightbulb!!*

True, but even the Master of Coin needs to answer to the Techno King! ;)

Yeah, I think what will happen is that in about another 1-2 yrs, all of of Elon's tranches will vest and he'll transition back into the role he loves, Chief Product Architect and Chairman of the Board. This'll let him spend his time productively on the big, multi-year kind of projects that will move Tesla forward, while satisfying the requirement for him to remain in that role for 5 yrs after the certification of his final tranche. Just in time for a Mars mission. ;)

As I've written here before Zach is a natural fit for the CEO role, and I think its his if he wants it: a natural communicator, a talented financial engineer, he'll be a formidable force for Tesla going forward.

Cheers!

TSLA tokens do not trade 24x7 .. " Stock tokens are tradable after 2 minutes open and before 2 minutes close during market hours "
I wouldn't give Binance too much credit re helping get a less screwy market. No guarantees I can see that they can help correct the current SEC failure to act according to its stated mission. In fact the more intermediaries the more chances of things going awry - like phantom shares, shares used for shorting without compensation, or plain business failure - not to mention outright theft, since it's now so easy to walk away with billions on a flash drive.
That's strange. Thanks for the correction. No reason they couldn't be.

The true benefits would be to get off the existing exchanges. As long as shares are still traded on those exchanges, the impact of any side-trading using blockchain trading would be almost nothing.