Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagreed with you because I've owned high growth stocks in which the management was always trying to engineer perfection in terms of public appearances. Yes, it can help boost share price during good times but when the sugar hits the fan and everything isn't perfect, then the share price gets mercilessly punished. If you want drama and huge swings, that's the way to go. But in the end the company is not worth more or less than the actual results so I would prefer to have management focus more time on the nuts and bolts of the business and less time and energy on glossy presentations that add no true underlying value to the company.

Elon Musk is much more of a very valuable strategic thinker than a good talking PR man. Trevor Milton was a good talker. Maybe his image can be given a makeover so Tesla could hire him to run the ,calls and pump up the share price. ;) Personally, I like hearing it straight from the mouth of the central nervous system of the company. It no longer bothers me that he rambles on - it's more like he's sending a message, which is to say he doesn't respect the financial types that analyze our business because they have repeatedly shown they can't understand, even when you show them directly what you are doing. He's more than earned the right to that.

Management's time and energy are extremely valuable things that are finite and they need to be used where they will do the most good, not to the immediate share price, but to the growth of the business and underlying mission.

.. and you do know Elon was busy at the SpaceX SN15 test firing range, right about that time too - probably also juggling future plans all at the same time - no way I'd want some staid acting suit rehashing useless WS jargon - the reason Elon mumbles is ... he's figuring out the most appropriate messaging level for the moment /audience. For a great inside view of what he does all the time, check out Eric Berger's recent book Liftoff - fast read of the early days of SpaceX.

This is unexpected. A net of 3 ETFs have unloaded their TSLA holding since April 6th.View attachment 653768
In about 3 weeks, a net of +2 ETFs put TSLA on their portfolio. Interesting tidbit: IYK (iShares U.S. Consumer Goods ETF) had always been at the top of the list in term of weight in TSLA. That's no longer the case. That position now belongs to VCAR (Simplify Volt Pop Culture Disruption ETF)
It is a relatively young fund, incepted 12/28/20, focusing on Consumer Discretionary equities. It's top (only) holdings are quite perplexing.
1619728184058.png

The 10-yr treasury yield shot up again at the opening this morning, but has pulled back significantly from the early high. High yields particularly hurt the net asset valuations of growth stocks like TSLA. The production outlook from Ford is a further drag on auto stocks today. And in the morning a number of large retail stockholders may have been scared away by Biden's request that Congress raise the capital gains tax rate. That retail dumping may already have run its course, and institutions could now be taking advantage.
these "chip shortages" are company and application specific ... these chip FUD hit pieces are designed to separate weak longs from their shares... Ford did not forecast properly for demand and this is supposedly what OEMs are good at ... they are doomed

In about 3 weeks, a net of +2 ETFs put TSLA on their portfolio. Interesting tidbit: IYK (iShares U.S. Consumer Goods ETF) had always been at the top of the list in term of weight in TSLA. That's no longer the case. That position now belongs to VCAR (Simplify Volt Pop Culture Disruption ETF)
It is a relatively young fund, incepted 12/28/20, focusing on Consumer Discretionary equities. It's top (only) holdings are quite perplexing.
View attachment 658133
Call me crazy, but now every time i see the word "Consumer ______"...it leaves a sour taste behind.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

To the Journalists Doing Lazy Math:
I took the time to breakout Tesla’s Q1 Income Statement by Segment and guess what? Excluding Regulatory Credits and Bitcoin gains, Tesla actually makes money on every car they sell. The Auto segment made $140m in Q1 excluding Reg Credits and the Bitcoin gain. And this is without Model S&X production. Had Tesla sold 15k Model S&X in Q1, the Auto segment GAAP Income would have been well over $400m.

View attachment 658112

View attachment 658113
Excellent -thanks - used there to debunk that Autoline #smear - note, the Motley Fool via MSN for once agrees Tesla's $293 Million of Free Cash Flow in Q1 Was an Incredible Year-Over-Year Improvement

Last edited:
Ok, I must know. How did you call that TO THE PENNY? Did you put in a buy order for 10M shares?
I cheated a bit as picked the day's low as the price was wandering on. Meanwhile, I bought this AM at 693 and did not see that cliff ahead. Here's to timing, cheers! Like stranded on an island, raft drifts by... "Hey look... it's a raft!" and then floats away.

The entire first half they just fell deeper and deeper into a hole. At the start of the second half they started to crawl their way back, but by the start of the 4th quarter it was apparent the hole was too deep so they pulled the starters and took another loss. This three game losing streak is the longest this season since early March when they lost 5 in a row between 3/2 and 3/8. Season ticket holders aren't worried about fans jumping off the bandwagon and looking forward to when the team is at full strength again.

Today
Score:677.00
Margin of W/L:-17.40
Attendance:28,712,510
High - Low:33.75
Season
Record:41-40
Total margin of wins:920.40
Total margin of losses:-949.07
YTD gain/loss:-28.67-4.06%
Best Win:110.58Mar 9
Worst Loss:-68.83Jan 11
Last 10:5-5
Streak:L3
Avg margin of victory:22.45
Avg margin of defeat:-23.73
Avg Attendance:33,463,289
Avg Attendance of Last 10:31,470,428
Avg High - Low:40.52
Avg H - L of Last 10:27.54

Ford took a $6B loan from US Government in 2009 and still has yet to fully pay it off, otherwise they would have went bankrupt too. GM and Ford are in the same boat and they have again become to take on water.
Hmmm $49.6 Billion to GM vs $6 Billion loan to Ford

Ford was working in 2007 in prep of the 2008 crash, they saw it might be coming. GM was drunk driving with eyes closed. Really there is no comparison. The US should have let GM fail and sold off bits.