Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are credits not considered revenue?

Actually, the 2018 CEO comp plan is based on Market Cap starting at $100B then in increments of $50B per tranche to a max of $650B, AND with each tranche requiring at least 1 of 16 listed Operational Milestones (8 based on annualized Revenue, 8 based on EBITDA):

CEO Comp.Milestones.2021Q1.png

So there are 12 tranches total based on Mkt Cap, plus Elon needs any 12 of the above 16 operational milestones. Elon's plan is already 'passed the post' for Mkt Cap on his first 11 tranches (all thru $600B as of 2021-Q1), with the table above showing which tranches have vested due to achieving the milestones.

Newzphlash: the twelveth m/c level will likely be reached next week. Paging @The Accountant

It's all explained quite clearly in the 10-Q. Highly recommended reading. Just use your browser's Search function to find the relevant section:

"2018 CEO Performance Award"

P.S. Note that Mkt Cap is based on the 30-day and 6-mth average Closing SP, and the number of outstanding shares (currrently ~963M shares per the 10-Q).

P.P.S. I estimate that Tesla will pass $125B in annualized revenue as soon as they are producing 1.6M vehicles per year (400K in a quarter). With Berlin and Texas spooling up production in 2022, I expect this to happen by H2 2022. If EBITDA takes care of itself, then Elon's entire CEO performance plan could vest and be certified just over 1 year from now. Then he's got to serve at least 5 more years either as CEO or Executive Chairman and Chief Product Architect before he's allowed to sell the first share (except for purpose of paying taxes on the tranches as they are certified by Tesla's Board) :D

Last edited:
these "chip shortages" are company and application specific ... these chip FUD hit pieces are designed to separate weak longs from their shares... Ford did not forecast properly for demand and this is supposedly what OEMs are good at ... they are doomed
They did correctly forecasted their demand will decline, so they scaled back their parts orders and used that as excuse to shutdown factories.

Same goes to all OEMs.

If there is a shortage of new ICE cars on the dealer lot, I would agree they under estimated demand, but so far I didn’t see that, even while they are shutting down factories left and right.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zero CO2
Here's yet another reason to switch to electric cars:

If the power goes out, you can run an electric car's heater to keep warm, inside the garage, without poisoning yourself.

Here's yet another reason to switch to electric cars:

If the power goes out, you can run an electric car's heater to keep warm, inside the garage, without poisoning yourself
Few understand this.....

We might have a new, integrated Powerwall product, "Powerwall+".

znb1r8nzl6w61.png

KEY FEATURES • Integrated battery, inverter, and system controller for a more compact install • Integrated soft starter capable of powering motors and air conditioning units1 • A suite of application modes, including self-powered, time-based control, and backup modes • Wi-Fi, Ethernet, and LTE connectivity with easy over-the-air updates

Found on Reddit here:

They did correctly forecasted their demand will decline, so they scaled back their parts orders and used that as excuse to shutdown factories.

Same goes to all OEMs.

If there is a shortage of new ICE cars on the dealer lot, I would agree they under estimated demand, but so far I didn’t see that, even while they are shutting down factories left and right.
i say disagree because it was clear many months ago that car demand did not deteriorate ...in fact by 2Q20 latest 3Q20 it was clear demand was there for autos ... they did not have buffer stock or place the appropriate POs with the semiconductor vendors .... this is more likely scenario ... poor supply chain management

Reactions: traxila
The current CEO of Tesla comes from a financial background and has degrees in financial stuff... no engineering.

You don't have to have an engineering degree to be an engineer. And don't forget his Physics degree. And while he may not have gone to school for engineering, Yale University and the University of Surrey in England have both bestowed upon him Honorary Doctorate Degrees in Engineering Technology and Aerospace Engineering, respectively. For example: