Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But can you choose to have a mirror image of the map? I can't find it on my car, and even if I could I wouldn't use it because I'm not used to seeing maps this way.

Tapping the compass button toggles between 3 modes- Car facing is always up, big overview view, and North is always up (ie west is always on the left, east always on the right- seems to be exactly what you are describing as "mirror the map")

Read page 129. It describes the 3 modes you can toggle between for the map orientation.

I'm not trying to argue, all I'm saying is I think VW should've oriented the map for the American market in the way Americans are used to viewing maps, nothing more.

Again I'd be very surprised if the VW doesn't work exactly the same way as the Tesla (and every other brand of nav I've ever seen going back 20 years) in allowing you to switch between the north-always-up and vehicle-facing-always-up perspectives.

EDIT- I decided to look.

Sure enough- page 240 of the ID4 manual- exact same settings toggle for North always up or Vehicle direction always up is available.

Either "Align the map to the direction of
travel (position, zoom and angle)."

or

"Align the map to north"

• Informative
Reactions: wtlloyd
What strikes are the cover calls?
I closed Jan 22 1200's at ~ upper 30's with 80% gains. Sold Jan 23 1700's for ~ 67.
I wanted to lock in my gains.

I have another set of Jan 23's 1700's which I sold for $205 but that was under different circumstances when SP was super hot and in the 880's.
(So current price not necessarily the best price, but something I can manage with more shuffling)

California Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, District 80, who sent an offensive Elon baiting tweet last year has spelled out what she actually meant: "Eff the People of California": (no sunshine for you!)

Assemblywoman Who Said “F*CK Elon Musk” Backs A Proposal To Kill Rooftop Solar In California | Cleantechnica.com

You can't make this sugar up. :p

Yep, she's one of our reps for the area, sadly.

You look through her election finance reports, the big utility SDG&E made large campaign finance contributions to her campaign, so this appears to be her "paying them back."

And if you read her "reasoning" for proposing the elimination of net metering and imposing large connection charges is because of "equity". I kid you not, she's saying it's not fair to poorer customers that cannot afford to install solar (while she completely ignores that there are programs available for lower-income households to get assistance installing solar and virtually no out-of-pocket costs).

Didn't see the latest FUD from Germany posted, looks like the German auto's are doing everything they can to slow down Tesla over there.

"The State Office for Occupational Safety and the agency tasked with fighting illicit work were investigating whether minimum wages are being paid as well as whether rules on working hours and conditions for construction workers’ housing were being adhered to, the news outlet reported."

You look through her election finance reports, the big utility SDG&E made large campaign finance contributions to her campaign, so this appears to be her "paying them back."

And if you read her "reasoning" for proposing the elimination of net metering and imposing large connection charges is because of "equity". I kid you not, she's saying it's not fair to poorer customers that cannot afford to install solar (while she completely ignores that there are programs available for lower-income households to get assistance installing solar and virtually no out-of-pocket costs).
And of course conveniently leaves out that ubiquitous decentralized renewable energy very likely leads to an END TO ALL INEQUITY. Small omission.

This is about what I would expect. Not very "overwhelmingly positive."

View attachment 659670

View attachment 659671

View attachment 659672
You really think so?
OK, allow yourself to consider the sample population..better yet go on twitter or facebook or whatever... find a leader in commerce or government. And then read the opinions....but before you do understand that these "public" forums are heavily censored to promote peace and harmony to sustain and increase their revenues so the "population" is not near so negative as the real world... nor as sensible or knowledgeable of the world around them.
Go ahead...hmmm... take a few names..Bezos Gates Zuckerberg what would their poll numbers be? Try Sanders, Trump, Putin....even Biden...
So NO! considering the bunch of idiots that make up the population and how they form irrational and uninformed opinions based first and often solely on some primal distrusted and hatred of any other person especially those that are successful or threatening. And, if true, those numbers would be highly encouraging to an individual that sought public adulation/acceptance. Extremely encouraging actually.
Not that Elon gives a rodent's rectum.

Last edited:

Nice, so because poor people can't afford it, make it more expensive for everyone else. Not to mention it's not like that money is going to taxes where it could theoretically be used to lower solar for less wealthy residents; the money will just go straight to the utility companies profits.

It's kind of hard to imagine this passes the full house, much less the Governor's desk. Any Cali politics watchers care to comment?

But can you choose to have a mirror image of the map? I can't find it on my car, and even if I could I wouldn't use it because I'm not used to seeing maps this way.

I'm not trying to argue, all I'm saying is I think VW should've oriented the map for the American market in the way Americans are used to viewing maps, nothing more. I feel as if it's safer and more intuitive, not that one way is more superior or anything, I'm sure I could get used to anything with a bit of time.

I won't post about maps further.
North is up is how Americans are used to viewing maps. The goofy way is fine for the turn by turn, but it's easy to become disoriented when the map is always turning.

New article in The Atlantic. The author does a good job describing the EV experience of a new EV driver and has a some insight into Ford's choices and plight. This Is Not a Review of Ford’s New Electric Mustang
Meh, plenty of convenient omissions and inaccuracies in there. Maybe I've got my Tesla-colored glasses on, but it reads like an ad for Ford. At least they prefaced the article with a headline saying they're not gonna look at the fundamental performance and value relative to other options.

Model 3 starts at $40,190? I'm seeing $38,990 for standard range on the website, even after recent price hikes. And isn't there still a $36k variant you can order off-menu?

The Mach-E "costs" $35,395........after undetailed tax credits. Implying the Ford is always going to be cheaper, not just for the 5 minutes before Ford can hit 200k EV units.

Nice, so because poor people can't afford it, make it more expensive for everyone else. Not to mention it's not like that money is going to taxes where it could theoretically be used to lower solar for less wealthy residents; the money will just go straight to the utility companies profits.

It's kind of hard to imagine this passes the full house, much less the Governor's desk. Any Cali politics watchers care to comment?
This kind of legacy pushback is bad for overall efficiency, but tremendous for Tesla from a revenue perspective. Fairly straightforward services can be provided, from the Powerwall+ platform, to shield homeowners from these tactics.

Resistance is futile.

Tapping the compass button toggles between 3 modes- Car facing is always up, big overview view, and North is always up (ie west is always on the left, east always on the right- seems to be exactly what you are describing as "mirror the map")

Read page 129. It describes the 3 modes you can toggle between for the map orientation.

Again I'd be very surprised if the VW doesn't work exactly the same way as the Tesla (and every other brand of nav I've ever seen going back 20 years) in allowing you to switch between the north-always-up and vehicle-facing-always-up perspectives.

EDIT- I decided to look.

Sure enough- page 240 of the ID4 manual- exact same settings toggle for North always up or Vehicle direction always up is available.

Either "Align the map to the direction of
travel (position, zoom and angle)."

or

"Align the map to north"
One public post on this after PMing with OP:

Sure, but in this case the map was left-right flipped (original post was written backwards) so East on left, West on right with North to the top and South to the bottom which should not happen under any mode. Either the SW inverted the X axis, the library didn't handle negative longitude properly, or the viewpoint on the 3-D render was below the ground plane looking up.

Didn't see the latest FUD from Germany posted, looks like the German auto's are doing everything they can to slow down Tesla over there.

"The State Office for Occupational Safety and the agency tasked with fighting illicit work were investigating whether minimum wages are being paid as well as whether rules on working hours and conditions for construction workers’ housing were being adhered to, the news outlet reported."

It's confusing to me that they aren't also probing whether there is sexual intimidation and sexual harassment going on at the Tesla site.

I mean, don't they even care about women's rights? 🤪

Sure, but in this case the map was left-right flipped (original post was written backwards) so East on left, West on right with North to the top and South to the bottom which should not happen under any mode. Either the SW inverted the X axis, the library didn't handle negative longitude properly, or the viewpoint on the 3-D render was below the ground plane looking up.

Or someone just rotated the map on the touchscreen.

Which you can do in either car.

Tapping the icon that swaps orientations to get back to the one you want resets this in either car.

Again having now looked at the nav section of both manuals, the available views are exactly the same as far as directional orientation.

The orientation of the map on the ID4 must be the direct result of the software Hell VW developers have been going through.

So, yeah, below the ground plane, looking up. ;)