Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My take re SNL: Much better than expected, actually really great, from an Elon (and Tesla) PR perspective

(I found most skits on YT but didn't bother with VPN so I might have missed a few pieces)

Chad on Mars: Elon is the commander.: He is in charge. Elon wants Mars to work and people to be safe. But when Chads are around all bets are off.
Sub-text: Elon is a true leader and not an evil billionaire.

The news re. Chinese rocket: A rocket blew up but for once it is not Elons fault.
Sub-text: SpaceX is actually doing better than than China. (Skit also written before they stuck the landing with SN15, so... even better)

Opening monologue : I predict it will be studied as a masterpiece in PR/re-branding.
  • Humanizing:
    • Self-ironic joke about talking in monotones and being on the spectrum.
    • Great respect and warmth&love for mother. Awkward but loving.
  • Re-iteration his great and positive vision: I believe in a renewable energy future. I believe that humanity must become a multi planetary, space faring civilization. They seem like exciting goals, don't they?
  • The twitter defense: For all the people I offended ... [comedic pause, setting up expectation of apology]: I re-invented electric cars and I am sending people to Mars on a rocket ship. [Elon looking at people with a pre-punchline challenging gaze] Did you [really] think I was also going to be a chill normal dude?"
Sub-text: Elon is a weird but great guy trying *really hard* to make the world a better place.

Mic drop.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the sax bumper music.
Lucid will sell based on the interiors, not on range or anything else.
It is GM vs Ford from the 1930s all over again.
GM/Lucid flatters the customer more.
Ford/Tesla is about efficient production leasing to lower prices.

10 year time horizon.
Lucid might be better than Audi.

Maybe it was reading here that the show was cringe worthy lowered my expectations to the floor but I thought Elon killed it. Particularly the monologue. He was likeable, vulnerable , and charming. Hard to hate that guy.

Too bad Karen isn't here to comment on Iceland Public Access talk show skit. 🇮🇸

I thought the worst sketch was Super Mario . Until Grimes showed up.

No, the show wasn't very funny. SNL isn't very funny. For ~20 years now.

Given the extra eyeballs and automotive advertisers that Elon brought maybe he will be asked back in a few years.

Also it looks like it was the FIRST time that SNL actually published a live feed for international viewers...Reference "‘SNL’ is a global phenomenon and this livestream marks the first time audiences around the world will experience the show simultaneously along with the US,”"

looks like SNL pulled some Elon weight....or Elon pulled some SNL weight? Curious from anyone outside the US what the viewer count is at?

This link doesn't work for me:

1620552011180.png

I believe they took it down after broadcast started. I couldn't see it earlier this morning either. I just watched the sketches on the SNL YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/snl/videos.
for me they won't show up .. and on every direct video-link here in the thread i get an "not available in your country".
I guess i really have to get a VPN .. -.-

Reactions: JRP3
The one that had me do a double take...Father Durdur(?)View attachment 660719
This was an amazing send up of “Mare of Easttown”. I am familiar with this area/accent and watch this HBO series. The local accents the sketch amplified wur (oops “were”) very well done. It was one of the better sketches I have seen. Elon closes things as the Doge errr Father durdur suspect.

Reactions: AZRI11
Also it looks like it was the FIRST time that SNL actually published a live feed for international viewers...Reference "‘SNL’ is a global phenomenon and this livestream marks the first time audiences around the world will experience the show simultaneously along with the US,”"

looks like SNL pulled some Elon weight....or Elon pulled some SNL weight? Curious from anyone outside the US what the viewer count is at?

I went back to bed about halfway. At that time the view count was at around 280k I think.

Six hours later it had been taken down and replaced by the individual sketches which I can view fine here in Scandinavia. Based on the past these seem to be taken down after a few days as well so don't wait too long.

I usually sleep well - but last night I woke up an hour before SNL - in the middle of the night over here in Europe. So I watched it as an early morning live show. :D

It was interesting how Elon showed us a different side of himself. I just have to love this guy! And if anything I feel more reassured to be all in with my TSLA investments after this. 🤠

...and I guess I have to follow Chad's investment advice and buy memorative shares when the price hits

16017 (boobs at pre split price)

I need more coffee!