Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It always annoyed me we insisted on using vehicle-optimized cells in stationary storage products. I'd like to see them get even less efficient and cheaper if possible, we got plenty of space for megapacks.
They have always used a different formulation for storage than they use for vehicles...

Watching the SP since Q1 ER, it’s very clear to me that the market is now playing “chicken“ with the stock. You never know when they will swerve. As they drive towards each other, the catalysts continue make it more dangerous for the MM. They’re still playing their games and making $$. But each Q the numbers improve substantially. PE ratios are dropping. Tesla will not need to swerve because they’re in the semi. The real risk for the MM is if one of the bigger and/or unexpected catalysts hit (Ie FSD) before they swerve. And they WILL swerve.

I don't believe battery production estimates- even the most optimistic ones- support those expectations (2027 in particular).

IIRC Elon said he thinks 30 million EVs a year industry wide before 2030 was possible (with 2/3rds of those being from Tesla) but that's still only about 35-37ish percent of worldwide car sales per year.

Especially since many companies are shipping more of the small # of EVs their battery supplies allow for to the EU since the fines are higher there for being out of compliance with emissions limits.
There are 2 ways to raise EV percentage.

Increase EV production, or reduce ICEs...

If it's obvious that ICEs are a dead-end, they'll only be bought if the old one stops working, which could suddenly expand the renewal cycle a lot.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
There are 2 ways to raise EV percentage.

Increase EV production, or reduce ICEs...

If it's obvious that ICEs are a dead-end, they'll only be bought if the old one stops working, which could suddenly expand the renewal cycle a lot.

2027 (the 50% date being discussed) is still 8 years removed from the 2035-ban-ice date (and outside of "discussion" even that date isn't actual law hardly anywhere right now)...

Most folks in the US get rid of new cars after just under 6 years, so I don't see "8 years before a largely hypothetical right now ban" causing a massive drop in total new car sales.

And it would need to be a MASSIVE drop, given the shortage of batteries that'll still exist compared to the # of EVs that'd otherwise be needed to hit 50% in the US market by 2027.

As I say, you MAYBE could hit 50% EVs in the EU by 2027... existing sales are already ~20% lower than the US for all vehicles so fewer batteries needed to hit target- they're more accepting of shorter range urban EVs so less batteries needed again- they have harsher emissions penalties- and EV adoption rate is already much higher there than here.

But enough batteries to get to 50% in the US by then? Ford's gonna need to do a lot more than "study" building battery factories pretty much right now (not to mention the dark place Toyota has its head on this topic)

Daily Mail - today: NY Wild for Cybertruck

Excerpt:

Hundreds of New Yorkers lined up outside Tesla's Manhattan showroom to get a rare glimpse of a Cybertruck prototype ahead of the company's CEO Saturday Night Live appearance.

The futuristic Cybertruck then hit the streets of NYC to the amazement of many bystanders.

funny caption on that pic, Apparently the dailymailUK staff don't know much about vehichles

The all-electric truck's body (pictured) is based on a 1976 Lotus Esprit sports car Musk owned in 2013 and the rest of the design pulls inspiration from vehicles in 'Blade Runner,' 'Mad Max,' 'Back to the Future' and 'Alien'

eh, yeah, that's a No. The truck isn't based on a Lotus Esprit from the 70s.

2027 (the 50% date being discussed) is still 8 years removed from the 2035-ban-ice date (and outside of "discussion" even that date isn't actual law hardly anywhere right now)...

Most folks in the US get rid of new cars after just under 6 years, so I don't see "8 years before a largely hypothetical right now ban" causing a massive drop in total new car sales.
So everyone still gets to replace their current car at least once until 2027 and then run the next one into the ground...?

And if the hypothetical ICE ban turns into a real date. The industry will milk their investment and new models will start to be much less compelling upgrades quite a bit before that...

dip-2.jpg

Some quick notes on President Biden's remarks on the economy:
- To prosecute ransomeware criminals
- Creating 500k jobs/month vs 60k jobs/month in the 3 months prior to his admin
- Trend is in the right direction for employment growth
- Economists predict yuge growth this year
- 34% adults are fully vaccinated now

- Steps to maintain progress
1. States and local gov can apply for relief from rescue plan;
2. Sending relief checks to restaurants/hospitalities;
3. Programs for employers to hire back laid off works part time without workers giving up unemployment benefits;
4. Provide help for people struggling with child care to help people get back to work - funds to allow expansion and availability of child care;
5. Anyone collecting unemployment who is offered a suitable job must take the job or lose benefits (with a few COVID19 exemptions)

Employers can step up:
1. Tax break to employers if they give workers paid time off for vaccinations
2. People who come back to work should be paid a decent wage after the last Congress relief of $1.4T

funny caption on that pic, Apparently the dailymailUK staff don't know much about vehichles

eh, yeah, that's a No. The truck isn't based on a Lotus Esprit from the 70s.

OK, I was thinking this was talking about the old buy the body insert the modules method from early Tesla but I think they are talking design cues

1620670059909.png