Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"the actual earnings growth in dollars, not the percentage, will be huge and drastically cut the P/E multiple down with each earnings report"

I dont disagree - that is the reason I said the PE multiple won't stay at the multi hundreds level and that Tesla will grow into the current valuation at a PE multiple somewhere between 50-100x in 2022.
For context, I expect:

Full Year 2021 ~$4 Billion Net income (~350% growth over 2020)
Full Year 2022 ~$12 Billion Net Income (200% growth over 2021)
Full Year 2023 ~$20 Billion Net Income (66% growth over 2022)

So if you look at 2023, a 50-100x PE multiple equates to a $1 Trillion - $2 Trillion market cap.

And I wasn't implying he's trading or suggesting others take steps based on his view. I was trying to clarify what "his" buy point would be.

Well, you could read what I wrote here at TMC on Aug 30, 2018 when asked a similar question:

"Its cheap. Anytime a stock is below its 200 day moving average that stock is cheap. But also for TSLA, it's far below its "intrinsic value", which is the PV of projected 5 years of cash flow."​

Investing hasn't changed in 3 years. The only thing that's different now is that Tesla's fundamentals are far, far better. As good as we could dream of 3 years ago, in the thick of prod. he11.

Cheers!

The International Energy Agency (IEA) has raised its forecast for the global growth of wind and solar by another 25% compared to figures it published just six months ago.

Overall, the IEA says that renewables accounted for 90% of new electricity generating capacity added globally last year and that they will meet the same share in each of the next two years.

Wind and solar are now expected to surpass even the “accelerated case” outlined by the agency in November 2020 …, in which they matched global gas capacity by 2022.

"Tesla had earlier considered expanding exports of its China-made entry-level Model 3 to more markets, including the United States, sources told Reuters, a plan that had not previously been reported."

Last edited:

"Tesla had earlier considered expanding exports of its China-made entry-level Model 3 to more markets, including the United States, sources told Reuters, a plan that had not previously been reported."
U.S. electric car maker Tesla Inc has halted plans to buy land to expand its Shanghai plant and make it a global export hub, people familiar with the matter said, due to uncertainty created by U.S.-China tensions.

Tesla had never declared an intention to acquire the land

🤨🤨🤨

EA51AD1B-1FF6-477B-B464-0A77D0A6B698.jpeg
84BF7E00-117C-4C0C-84F9-295ED81ACC1A.jpeg

I must admit, like others this has been severely painful to experience. I was on the wrong side of leverage when the drop began in late January. I am now severely stressed out by some Jan 22 700calls that I bought on margin back in November. Just a few weeks ago 700 by January would have seemed safe...now I am not so sure...
January is a long way away. Not saying the stock will rise between now and then, but there's plenty of time for that to happen, and a LOT of good catalysts from Tesla to held it along

Of course if the stock just keeps following macro and it growth stocks keep getting hammered, then all bets are off

Portfolio margin, I assume? I'm on Reg T through IBKR and have received no such message (the account is 100% TSLA).
The underlying part is this

. However, any increase to the Initial Margin Requirement will adversely affect your ability to open new margin increasing positions and withdraw funds. You will receive an additional notification detailing the schedule for a similar increase in the Maintenance Margin Requirement. At this time, the only impact will be on the Initial Margin.

That is my understanding

I'm in a similar position where IB will be significantly reducing my initial margin requirements (equivalent to if the stock proce dropped to around $165). With IB the impact is complicated by the opaque way they calculate margin. Their Risk Navigator can be used to simulate the change against an individual portfolio, (which I haven't done yet but will do). For me I'm expecting to have my account locked out from withdrawing any cash or doing anything else that could increase margin requirements.

A quick update on this margin situation with IB.

I went through the process to check post 13May margin with their Risk Navigator and also spoke to an IB rep on the phone. The end result is that my initial margin is likely to go up around 4.4%. So hopefully a bit of a nothing burger for me as I still have a lot of margin available. Obviously things may vary for other portfolios so best to check for yourself if affected.

• Informative
Reactions: Criscmt
Elon tweeted a poll asking if Tesla should accept dogecoin as payment. 75% said yes out of 1.5M votes. 140K likes in 2 hours. If they accept, I hope this will not negatively affect $TSLA.
Absolutely this negatively affects Tsla. He is forcing people who don't believe in meme coins into owning it indirectly as shareholders.

If Elon wants to prove a point about fiat currency, create another business and have at it hoss.

Portfolio margin, I assume? I'm on Reg T through IBKR and have received no such message (the account is 100% TSLA).

Thanks for posting. This explains much.

I'm on Reg T too, received no notices, and saw a negligible change in initial margin requirement under the new rules via their alternative margin calculator.