Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B87EBE60-0644-47FE-AFE9-4703516CFD4F.jpeg

Well, I didnt buy stock, but doing my part for Q2/Q3. Likely our model 3 is totaled (we're all fine), so I went ahead and dropped $100 to get in line for a Y.

View attachment 661654
Congrats! We just ordered our first Tesla last Saturday, a LR Model 3 (white but with the 19" wheels, black interior, NO FSD- yet). My wife is a freelance sign language interpreter and the mileage/travel expense savings are paying for most of this car. We expect delivery in mid-June.

Some good news on the insurance front. A regulatory filing from Tesla's underwriter in Texas has unveiled they are planning to stratify drivers into 10 buckets depending on their driving data. Those in the safest bucket will see insurance rates at a 70% discount compared to those who opt out of data sharing.

Some good news on the insurance front. A regulatory filing from Tesla's underwriter in Texas has unveiled they are planning to stratify drivers into 10 buckets depending on their driving data. Those in the safest bucket will see insurance rates at a 70% discount compared to those who opt out of data sharing.

Still in planning stages, Tesla site shows only California. But I can sure live with a 70% discount.

It is possible that Tesla demand is ever so slightly soft in China right now after all the recent negative press.

For new orders on Tesla China website:
Model 3: 2-4 week delivery
Model Y: 3-5 week delivery

It appears China Q2 is not sold out like the US production reportedly is.
Tesla haven't pulled any demand levers over there to signal any problems with demand.

FCEV don't need batteries

Yes, Toyota's FCEV need batteries. You can't store energy from regen braking as hydrogen; it's stored in a lithium-ion battery (I suspect Toyota uses the same Li-ion bty pack in their FCEV as in their hybrids).

Here's a schematic view of the Mirai FCEV: (the large silver box is the fuel cell, the slightly smaller one to the rear is the lithium-ion battery pack)

toyota-2020-mirai-technology-power-control-unit-m.png

For Toyota, FCEV are entirely compliance cars. They are less efficient than BEVs, but they keep Toyota's sunk capital costs afloat for their ICE engine lines. Eventually, investors will yank Toyota's chain hard enough to force adoption of reality, but that doesn't mean Toyota will do it willingly, or soon.

Last edited:
Tesla haven't pulled any demand levers over there to signal any problems with demand.
They wouldn't necessarily want to yet - at present any excess production capacity they can instead send overseas. Once export window closes for Q2 (which closes in early June for close export markets like HK, Korea, Japan) - that is when they would consider pulling demand levers.

Reactions: ZsoZso
Thank you. I did reference ibkr rates. I’m waiting to hear what my rate adjustment will be (will advise). Hopefully they can come close; as I’d rather not switch brokerages.

I don’t do options so it’s really just a matter of paying my tax bill without selling shares at these unreasonably low prices.
I wanted to access a Schwab Pledged Asset Line (renovation project), but was told I don’t qualify because I have an international account.🤬 However, they did adjust my margin rate when I hinted at moving my seven figure account to another brokerage. I think this is a good rate:

Our pricing team is offering Fed Funds + 1.35% on your margin (total rate 1.6%). This is in process and should update by tomorrow.

Today TSLA managed to hold above its current 200-day SMA (simple moving average) of $581, and well above its 2021 MAR 05 low of $539. That SMA was last touched in 2020 MAR 18-19 when it was at $74, during a dive at a time that the impact of the pandemic started to become obvious. TSLA then rebounded magnificently for ten months. Investors were fearful 14 months ago, which of course was a time to get greedy.