Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we do see that there are 29K Put contracts open at the $400 Strike. This will indeed be a powerful lure for options writers (mostly Market Makers), but there are also substantial numbers of Put contracts open at 500, 550, and 600 Strikes.
Question: why does having a lot of puts at $400 make it a lure? (If by lure you mean attractive stock price to approach?) Anything above those keeps them from being executed, so it seems more like it would be more of a support point than attraction point.
Is there a secondary effect involved?

Pomp just on CNBC taking shots at Elon. Claiming EM is holding/sitting on billions and not selling. Pomp implies EM is misleading. I guess Pomp considers himself more honest.

My read is that there is an implied threat in there toward EM businesses. Maybe I am misreading him.

That's not looking too shabby

premarket2.PNG

Interesting video, thanks for posting.

Noteworthy events/quotes, with comments inside <>

14:14 Phone supporter: "Please remain seated In case the car starts moving again."
<"In case .. ". What? Don't they have override mode?>

17:10 Customer: "Now its is blocking the entire road...!"

21:20: Customer: "It backed out. Now it is blocking the whole lane instead of half of it." <SIC>

24:42: Customer: "It really does not like these cones!"

25:08: Customer: "Now the hazards are on."
<Good. Though also implying that they were not on the first stop. Bad!>

26:34: <Lot of jerking at steering wheel. Car escapes again>
Customer: "I don't even know what is going on anymore!"

28:25 Phone supporter "The car should not take off"
<Well, it better not, the emergency driver is trying to get into the car...!>

29:18: <Emergency driver does some kind of handover to obtain control. Due to video edited to hide emergency driver it is hard to see what and how>

30:20: Emergency driver: "We have been following you for a while, because it was having problems. I don't know why this construction zone was not taken off the map".
<Interesting ! So, if the map is wrong, then the car gets in trouble? Tesla used to rely on maps for self-driving up til around 2017, but decided to skip them. Perhaps wisely ?>

32:50: Customer: "Do you pick a car and follow it all day or do you stay in an area or ...?"
33:06 <Emergency driver dodges questions about how many emergency drivers there are and how they pick cars.>
Not sure how much weight I put on Tesla stop using maps. From the numerous FSD beta videos I have seen, it's mostly incorrect map data that causes Tesla to want to make turns its not suppose to, turn on blinkers randomly, trying to run through road closure signs or accelerating toward space not drivable.

Question: why does having a lot of puts at $400 make it a lure? (If by lure you mean attractive stock price to approach?) Anything above those keeps them from being executed, so it seems more like it would be more of a support point than attraction point.

EDIT: h/t to @mongo for the correction: the large PUT open interest at strike prices between $400 and $600 represents strong support levels for the SP, which is the opposite of what I wrote in my comment above. Apologies (I got "moneyness" backwards). The net effect of this correction is that there is strong support for the SP at much higher levels. ;)

While I'm no Options trader (thanks for the question though), my understanding is the wider the gap betwen the Closing SP at Options expiry, the more Options writers (mostly MMs) have to pay out for PUT contracts. So the motivation is to move the SP to lower the amount owing to PUT holders.

Of course this depends on who ACTUALLY wrote the put contracts, which we can never know. It's a tacit assumption that it was mostly MMs, but even then there are ~28 different MMs for TSLA, so if even 1 or 2 have dramatically different stakes, it could affect their motivation to move the SP.

The balancing force would be open CALL contracts at the same strike, but as we can see from the chart below, there are very few open calls below the $640 - $660 strike prices

I'm very open to other interpretations, this is far from simple tea-leaf reading. Here's today's Open Interest update issued at 07:00 EDT (we do see that Max Pain moved up $15 to $465 since yesterday, even with the down day for the SP)

OI.as-of.2021-05-13.for3rdFriJun2021.png

Paging @Lycanthrope or other Options experts. TIA. ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
While I'm no Options trader (thanks for the question though), my understanding is the wider the gap betwen the Closing SP at Options expiry, the more Options writers (mostly MMs) have to pay out for PUT contracts. So the motivation is to move the SP to lower the amount owing to PUT holders.

Of course this depends on who ACTUALLY wrote the put contracts, which we can never know. It's a tacit assumption that it was mostly MMs, but even then there are ~28 different MMs for TSLA, so if even 1 or 2 have dramatically different stakes, it could affect their motivation to move the SP.

The balancing force would be open CALL contracts at the same strike, but as we can see from the chart below, there are very few open calls below the $640 - $660 strike prices

I'm very open to other interpretations, this is far from simple tea-leaf reading. Here's today's Open Interest update issued at 07:00 EDT (we do see that Max Pain moved up $15 to $465 since yesterday, even with the down day for the SP)

View attachment 661868

Paging @Lycanthrope or other Options experts. TIA. ;)

Cheers!
Agreed, but for puts the stock price needs to be below the strike to pay out, with the lower the price (wider gap) the more the loss to the writer.
So writers like a SP lower than the calls and higher than the puts (max pain). A high open interest put wall would set a floor for SP as it renders more calls OTM but creates more ITM puts. Getting to 400 SP would result in a lot of payout on the $600 strike puts with little impact on the call side, so it doesn't seem beneficial (on average).

(I like a $600 floor better too vs $400 , no bias or anything ;))

Agreed, but for puts the stock price needs to be below the strike to pay out, with the lower the price (wider gap) the more the loss to the writer.
So writers like a SP lower than the calls and higher than the puts (max pain). A high open interest put wall would set a floor for SP as it renders more calls OTM but creates more ITM puts. Getting to 400 SP would result in a lot of payout on the $600 strike puts with little impact on the call side, so it doesn't seem beneficial (on average).

(I like a $600 floor better too vs $400 , no bias or anything ;))

Oh yes, you're quite right, thank-you. This is the issue of "moneyness" as well illustrated by this example from Investopedia.com:

Example of Moneyness​

"If the current price of XYZ stock is $50, a call or put option with a strike price of $50 would be at the money. Exercising the option would result in a breakeven for the investor. A put with a strike price of $75 would be in the money because it would allow the holder of the put to sell the stock for a higher price than it is currently trading. On the other hand, a call with a strike price of $75 would be out of the money because there is no reason the holder of a call would want the opportunity to purchase XYZ stock for $75 when they could get it on the open market for $50."​

Thanks again for the correction (always helpful). :D

It's clear that these high PUT steps represent levels of strong support for the SP as we march toward June 18, 2021 (the big Q2 Options expiry day).

Cheers!

I've observed that MM's are pretty happy to have sold puts executed, they don't fight hard for the stock to rise up to Max Pain, but they tend to be quite intolerant of selling shares via calls

Basically all part of the current strategy of stealing cheap shares from weak longs

from email to customer who received the message ordered his Model S late last year
“Due to high volume of Model S orders Tesla has at this time, we currently don’t have an estimated delivery date for you but that should change within the next week, as soon as there is an estimated delivery date provided internally for you order, I will reach out ASAP.”