Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In general, rather than another 5 for 1 stock split, can we collectively support the idea of Tesla doing a 2 for 1 split on a yearly basis to routinely clear out the barn ?

If they've done one 5 for 1 split in 11 years they would have to wait every five years to do a 2 for 1 split at a similar long term effect.

If you make it a 3 for 2 split (1.5 to 1) then you could do it every 3 years.

If you make it a 4 for 3 split (1.33 to 1) you could do it every 2 years.

If you make it a 5 for 4 split (1.25 to 1) you could do it every 1.5 years.

If you make it a 6 for 5 split (1.20 to 1) you can do it every year.

All of these are until the growth stops and at some point you have to skip a year or just stop splitting and let it rise.

2 for 1 or 5 for 1 splits have to be very rare to not get ahead of the growth story, like clockwork annual splits would have to be very small, odd multiple splits, probably not as big an effect as you are looking for.

A stock split isn't going to get us to retirement, it's autonomous driving we need to look forward to.
A lot of people here have that sentiment, and it's likely true in the long term, but the first few FSD crashes will come with so much FUD this'll seem like nothing.

I suspect share price will be impacted quite a bit to the negative as the fossil world takes one last hail mary run at Tesla before the great decline.

On the other hand, a share split seems to force naked short shares to be made real. That would do QUITE A LOT for our retirement funds should it hut toward the end of this year.

Your cost basis of an "investment" should have nothing to do with the decision to sell or hold (beyond tax considerations). If you think it'll be worth more in the future, enough so that it makes sense to hold it, then hold it. If not, then sell it. Tax considerations are the only thing your purchase price has to do with it.

I never bought crypto because I had no idea whether it would be worth more or less in the future, and I still don't.
I feel like you’re saying take my losses because I can write them off. I’ve never had taxable losses before. Everything I have is in tax differed retirement accounts. Can I write the Bitcoin losses off of my income?

100% right. Elon's involvement in crypto is a disaster for Tesla shareholders. Stay out is fine. Stay in is fine. Come in, cause a lot of drama, uncertainty and then getting out in this fashion is a cluster.

I'm thinking a 1% or 2% up day might be possible if macro cooperates. Should be 5% or more based on S deliveries and their positive impact on Q2 gross margins.

This crypto expedition by Tesla is a millstone around the neck and it will be depressing prices for awhile. Yes you can use it to buy the dip.. but RIP call buyers and put sellers.

BS. Bitcoin energy consumption, Doge energy consumption, crypto energy consumption has always been known to Elon.

Multiple intentional rug pulls were done by Elon to the crypto community. Some winners. Some losers.

I don't see a net positive from these actions for Tesla or TSLA.

Bitcoin was fine before Elon ever got involved and will be fine after he exited. It steadily marches towards maximum circulation and daily supply reduces by 50% in the next 3 years. You'll find previous postings, I've stated that one should maintain at minimum 1-3% of net worth in Bitcoin. My stance hasn't changed.

If some institutional investors lightened up because of Tesla’s BTC stake (possible judging from past price action) and decide to now come back in because said stake appears to have been sold, they will vastly outweigh any damage from shorting.

I agree 100% by the way - this whole thing was a total cluster.

I feel like you’re saying take my losses because I can write them off. I’ve never had taxable losses before. Everything I have is in tax differed retirement accounts. Can I write the Bitcoin losses off of my income?

Sure- same as other capital losses (and thus with the same caveats about amounts, holding periods, offsetting, carry-over, etc)

Here are 3 other photos from the day trip. Looking a little left. Looking south along the long dimension and charging at 828 mph in Waco.
View attachment 662874View attachment 662875View attachment 662876
Apologies on foamed Dawn that gets dispensed on everything when I walk back from the truck stop etc. Should have cleaned the screen. Point of note: COVID is tiny and has a lipid layer. Small things have high surface area to volume so I figure stoichiometrically the virus replicates until it runs out of lipids, as those get used up first. Dawn does not like lipids and lipids don't like Dawn. I use that foaming bottle as a scare crow.

More info (even if it is from FoxBusiness):

And the commenters gobble the propaganda slant 'woke' right up. Sickening

Actual photo of the fund picking stocks yesterday...

1621230107749.png

Elon at 50m Twitter followers.

This is not an April fools joke!
By the time most of you will have woken up Elon will be at 55m followers. At this rate Elon will be at 90m followers on the 1st of April 2022. Still not an early April fools joke!
Is that your estimate of TSLA's market cap or the price per share? I'm trying to decide if you're a bull or not.
Market cap. I am a bear and here is the proof: Model assumes a p/e ratio of 50. That is a 1200% reduction on today.

You have to keep things sensible to avoid the dreaded quadrillion, which most people don't even think exists as a number. $0.125q just looks like a rounding error.

Elon just clarified Tesla hasn’t sold any more Bitcoin, causing it to rise 5% or so. Maybe they will cancel their cyber truck cancellations
This is consistent with the earlier statement,,

In spite of all the drama the only real change is Tesla no longer accepting BTC payments for cars, apparently that is due to increased emissions, caused in part by more mining and the higher price ... (I may not have that 100% right .... this area is murky).

The implication is Tesla will accept BTC payments and sell BTC when emissions are lower, and.or Tesla will start accepting payments in Crypto coins with lower emissions.

So it is consistent with the mission, to deal with Tesla, Crypto communities need to embrace lower emissions...

My take is that the BTC community is inflexible and BTC is in efficient, but if we wait long enough, all Crypto will have low emissions.

In the meantime Tesla will continue to grow cash reserves and/or invest in new factories, they may diversify to hold other Crypto.
But we can expect the BTC position to stay relatively constant and smaller part of their liquid assets.

If there is an emergency need for more cash, they might have to sell BTC or raise capital, that scenario looks very unlikely.,

Looks like some BTC fans are showing their displeasure by cancelling their cybertruck reservations. I don't think that will hurt Tesla as much as they hope it does.

Thank you! That's the best news I've heard all weekend! I wonder how many of them had reservations in front of mine? Probably more than a few!

I couldn't wait so I broke down and purchased a 1:10 scale Cybertruck to hold me over. 🤪