Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Barron's - half hour ago: Tesla Stock Is Getting Shorted Again. Why It Could Be Time to Buy.

Excerpts:

Monday, investors found out that Michael Burry of “The Big Short” fame owned more than 800,000 put options on Tesla stock. A put options gives the holder the right to sell shares at a fixed price. Put options become more valuable as a stock price drops. It’s another way to place a bearish bet against any company’s shares....

New Street analyst Pierre Ferragu might be the reason shares are rallying Tuesday. He published at research report defending Tesla’s profitability.

Bearish analysts typically point out that Tesla’s profits include zero emission credit sales. Tesla earns the credit by producing more than its share of EVs and sells them to auto makers that don’t meet mandated quotas. Credits should fall when other auto makers are making more EVs, but Barron’s has written the credit criticism is unfounded.

His position was based on dumb research. He literally announced that he was shorting Tesla a week BEFORE the S&P inclusion date. I know not everyone can time the market but come on! He very easily could have shorted in the 600+

I think all our old $TSLAQ friends are out of money so we need some new blood in the game. I just can't figure out why his bet is so puny. Didn't he make billions from the mortgage crisis? I'm not sure he can fully replace all our broke $TSLAQ friends with such a small bet but it's the effort that counts!

Last edited:
I am pleasantly surprised by the green considering; that I was expecting that the usual media suspects to pile on the sensationalized BS headline of "cars piling up @ Fremont".

This one's a head scratcher. Happy if they don't and have changed their ways, but you know, leopard, spots, etc.

Oh well, have some buy orders in; in case they do.

Here's a shot of my couch in the mean time.

1621360449711.png

I suspect y’all have noticed; but it’s not been mentioned. There has been a nice volume spike on a (rare) green day. 22m shares traded so far. And it’s barely nap/lunch time on ‘the street’. Bullish.

hopefully some tracking funds buying. Seems logical. (Silly me, trying to use logic 🤣)

I would be prepared for the possibility of a trip lower once the "feeding" at current prices tapers off. I only see two ways we could have put the bottom behind us:

1) Macro markets go on a strong bull run
2) Tesla releases great news soon

Thus far it is appearing that President Biden will not support any US manufacturer that is not unionized. He seems also to aggressively deny that Tesla exists.
I wish it were not so, but it seems clear that he will do all he can to limit the US incentives to unionized traditional manufacturers. Just think, he's promoting the F150 Lightning, a vehicle that does not exist. He's ignoring the only domestic US developer and producer of BEV.

I wish I were wrong. As it stands his policies will exclude Tesla from all incentives, at least if he stands solid with 'union only'. Of course that leaves out not only Tesla but every US producer other than GM, Ford and Chrysler. Hopefully something changes soon.

Thus far it is appearing that President Biden will not support any US manufacturer that is not unionized. He seems also to aggressively deny that Tesla exists.
I wish it were not so, but it seems clear that he will do all he can to limit the US incentives to unionized traditional manufacturers. Just think, he's promoting the F150 Lightning, a vehicle that does not exist. He's ignoring the only domestic US developer and producer of BEV.

I wish I were wrong. As it stands his policies will exclude Tesla from all incentives, at least if he stands solid with 'union only'. Of course that leaves out not only Tesla but every US producer other than GM, Ford and Chrysler. Hopefully something changes soon.
You might want to do some due diligence here. Even GM and Ford would be affected by the EV credit only being made by union workers.....The Mach E is built in Mexico.....Also ya know.....the fact that this a federal piece of legislation. They would be discriminating against Tesla if they said only union built...which means it will never hold up in court.

I'm amazed so many are buying into this idea that Tesla is going to get excluded

Good point - and let's be clear about what this also represents (much more than just a 'union-issue')...........President Biden IS throwing support only to those US auto manufacturers that make ICE vehicles that support the fossil fuel industry with his offer. He is being careful to ensure that we do not strand those stranded assets too fast.

Last edited:

Language is written by the Congress and you can be assured CA/TX HoR and Senator will have issue with it being union only

I don't think he will have any sort of ability to make that a rule. They could try to limit price, but that will lock out GM and Ford EV trucks/hummers.

My suspicion, is that he will talk the talk and the bill will quietly wind up helping Tesla as much as any other.

I think Biden's just talking up the union worker angle because he is speaking at Ford. I seriously doubt they'd prohibit Tesla from taking advantage of a Federal EV incentive program. The Mach-E is built in Mexico you know!

Wish it were so, but it seems that Biden truly is a union guy to the core... Not good. Terrible in fact. Tesla will of course succeed, because it is Tesla, and because the Ford and GM core is fundamentally crap, but IN SPITE of Biden.

I am absolutely sure it's not going to be "only union" cars get the incentives and Tesla will be included.

1. I'm sure Tesla has been in discussions with the administration and they have been slowly creeping up their prices.
2. I fully understand why in all the speeches Biden would say union a million times and talk about Ford and GM. Biden needs to make EVs not seem like rich people toys but things that everyday Americans build for everyday Americans. aka...Union, GM, Ford. We know what the facts are but the image is at least as important.
3. Being upset on a lack of a short term TSLA bump is silly. Don't be like I used to be, a trader. Hold and live free. Biden and his administration is well aware that this is Elon's world and we're just playing in it.

160311-muskobama-630x453.jpg