Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could it be the button? Will report back.

Edit: Oddly; updates are usually estimated at 30 minutes. This one 50 minutes.
View attachment 663804

Got that yesterday, just bug improvements.

For what it's worth, I got to test out autopilot/FSD using this build a little today, but no idea if it is associated with pure vision. I do believe that there are Autopilot/FSD improvements in this build. Here are the two things I definitely noticed in this build:

1. Previously, the UI would show you multiple lanes on freeways/highways (maybe sometimes on city streets as well, but definitely not constantly). It now consistently does the same for city streets as well.
2. If you are in the far right hand lane on a city street, and the lane widens to allow for an 'invisible right turn lane', autopilot will now hug the lane marker on the left side to allow cars to pass and turn in the invisible right turn lane.

Lightning F-150 looks good for a truck....like a truck. More truck drivers want what they have had than want to change.
I am one that like how a truck looks. But then I liked how it looked because it is a functional-look.
I hated the cyber look till I found out it is even more "Form Follows Function."
If Ford just gives Americans what the unveiling states this will seriously advance the demise of the ICE.

‘Lectric F-150 is objectively better than ICE F-150 — Ford has Osborned their leading product. I hope they can actually make a few.

This looks like a good standard truck, and the frunk is very nice. The Transport looks good, too. That advances the mission, perhaps at the cost of Ford’s profitability.

Not a very flashy production, but at least they tried. Ford is not quite dead yet. Hope that battery plant works out...

(I own a 2015 F-350 being traded in for my now-estimated October MX Plaid order, which may be neck-and-neck with my CT order)

Lightning F-150 looks good for a truck....like a truck. More truck drivers want what they have had than want to change.
I am one that like how a truck looks. But then I liked how it looked because it is a functional-look.
I hated the cyber look till I found out it is even more "Form Follows Function."
If Ford just gives Americans what the unveiling states this will seriously advance the demise of the ICE.
It gets more people driving EVs, and interested in EVs....

There are several ways Lightning F-150 buyers get eventually converted to Tesla buyers...
  1. While waiting for the Lightning F-150, a Cybertruck becomes available sooner.
  2. A friend / relative buys a Cybertruck and then they compare specs and performance.
Ford may be hoping customers waiting for a Lightning F-150 convert to a ICE F-150, but a logical thing to do is look at other EV truck options... Tesla, Rivian, etc.

So Ford has to scale production to match demand, or they risk customers moving to other brands... it is all over for ICE,

People are going to compare, and functional performance will count. If the Cybertruck sets a high bar, other EV trucks need to match it.

The F150 Lightning had No mention whatsoever of DC fast charging power.

also the touchscreen is only included on higher end models.

Bunch of media outlets (presumably embargoed till now) have more details on charging-

When the truck is connected to a 150 kW DC fast charger, you can expect to add 41 miles (66 km) of range in 10 minutes to the standard-range battery, and it should charge from 15-80 percent in 44 minutes. If you can only find a 50 kW DC fast charger, expect to wait about 91 minutes for the same charge. The extended-range pack will add 54 miles (87 km) in 10 minutes when DC-charged at 150 kW, with a 15-80 percent charge taking 41 minutes (or 122 minutes at 50 kW).

So looks like roughly half the speed of say a Model 3, even like for like (sticking to V2 supercharging at 150kw) and nearer 1/3rd the speed compared to a V3 charger.

Then they get into AC charging which as someone hinted earlier is... also pretty awful honestly...

For AC charging, F-150 Lightnings will be supplied with a 240 V, 32 A mobile charger, which will just require a compatible socket. This will add 14 miles (22.5 km) of range to the standard battery in an hour and should charge the pack from 15-80 percent in 14 hours. For the extended-range pack, expect to add 13 miles (21 km) of range each hour, with a total charge time of 19 hours.

An optional 48-amp connected charge station adds 19 miles (30.5 km) of range per hour for the standard battery and takes 10 hours to fully charge the truck. It will add 20 miles (32 km) of range per hour for the extended-range battery, but expect to wait 13 hours to go from 15-100 percent state of charge.

Finally, Ford is including an 80-amp home charger called Charge Station Pro as standard with the extended-range battery; the company has partnered with Sunrun to handle installation. This charger will add about 30 miles (48 km) of range per hour, with a 15–100 percent charge time of just eight hours. (The 80-amp charger will not charge a standard-range F-150 Lightning any faster than the 48-amp charger.)

For contrast the 32 amp UMC with the Model 3 adds nearer 30 miles of range to an LR per hour... a rate the F-150 apparently can't manage until you go all the way up to the 80 amp charger.

Now, most folks charge overnight anyway, so it may no appear as big a deal as the DC speed... but especially that base 32 amp charge speed you can't get a "full tank" overnight if you use most of your range during the day- it's simply too slow.

230 battery/14 miles of charge speed is 16.42 hours

On the longer range model looks like you can get a full charge in a full overnight... but sounds like you'll need to have a 100 amp circuit dedicated JUST to that (100 amps with 20% overhead to feed the 80 amp charger)

Last edited:
F-150 Lightning really highlights how batteries are everything now. With a 150+ kWh pack, they are masking the horrendous efficiency in the powertrain and poor drag coefficient. All of Tesla's technological superiority in cells, inverters, motors, control logic, structural pack, etc, seems moot when you put in such a massive pack. They even bundle a sizzling 80A charger (electrician not included, presumably) to help hide how much juice this thing is guzzling. Home backup power is a nice plus. But the question remains, can Ford source these cells? My suspicion is that they can - once Congress bails them out with an infrastructure bill that pays for the battery plants.