Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, its important for Tesla supporters to recognize what happened in the crypto space this week: there as a DELIBERATE effort to tank the price of BTC (down 20% over a 24 hr period) and (miraculously) the selling stopped exactly at the price level where the instigators guessed that they would force an impairment loss on Tesla:

View attachment 664167

And now (again, miraculously) the price has recovered to $42K (as of 13:00 GMT May 20). It's not hard to imagine two players with separate bitcoin wallets selling back and forth to drive the price down quickly.

But with blockchain, there can be no counterfeiting of the asset being sold, so its a level playing field for buyers and sellers. When others jumped in to pick up bargains, the selling quickly dried up. The law of supply and demand to set the price still applies (outside Wall St. naked shortzes).

If I were Zach (and I'm not), I'd be a BUYER at the lows this week. The carbon intensity of a single transaction for several 10s of millions USD is miniscule, compared to the same amount of carbon released for a transaction of a few 10s of thousands USD (and Tesla's side of the transaction can be renewably clean).

Cheers!
I hope Tesla didn't buy and then tweeted diamond hands. The reason is obvious.

Also my understanding Tesla's just need a software update to enabled this sort of functionality. The real work is the additional electronics needed at the house for power system to accept the juice from the vehicle.
I'm not sure if you are speaking of all Tesla's (as opposed to the CT, which is subject to change). but this is untrue. Existing Tesla HW doesn't support V2G or V2H:

LOL I cannot think of anyone I know who has. Why would they?
I kept my old (nearly worthless) 2003 ICE so I'd have something to drive when I lend my Tesla to help spread the good Tesla word, and then the TSLA word. Would have been a huge waste to take another new Tesla out of circulation sitting here just so I'd have something to drive on those rare occasions.

Tesla offered V2G over a decade ago on the original roadster.

He said US homes would needed added equipment, EU homes would not... but again reiterated nobody used this when Tesla DID offer it, and stationary is the superior solution for a number of reasons.

< 30kwh Powerwall is not superior to a > 100kwh car for some interesting scenarious.

VW is leading entity in Germany to push v2g (not home only) as you could do awesome scenarious - i.e. you could drive near empty to your work, park for 8h and take in renewal surge power, then drive home and feed back to grid over night.

IMHO this needs to work on a broad scale - every house should be pushed for solar+battery + EVs with v2g and then smart software to make it all work

Disagree here, solid axles do have constant ground clearance, but it's constant lower because of the large differentials, especially the rear in the center of the axle. I've had enough differentials hitting rocks, dirt, and dragging through mud. Independent setup allows the diff to be tucked up higher out of the way. The best setup is portal axles like the military Hummer and the Bollinger.
I'd also expect that a left-right independently adjustable suspension setup could have "Maintain Clearance" or "Maximum Clearance" modes wherein when one side articulates upward the other side raises suspension when off road, going over obstacles, etc....

Reactions: JRP3
Here's Tesla mobile service at my house a few weeks ago...
View attachment 664171

Oh, that's Nice. Here's the Tesla ICE van in my neighborhood 3 wks ago:

white-delivery-van-stuck-in-snow.jpg

BTW, it was 0.4 °C overnight, but at least it hasn't SNOWED since TUESDAY! :p

Cheers!

When contemplating Tesla’s executives’ incentive program, consider this just in from another (???🤣???) in the industry:

On a total 2020 revenue of $95,000 (no, that’s not millions but thousands), Nikola, according to its just-released proxy statement to the SEC, awarded six of its executives $567 milllion in stock awards.

This includes $53M to its Chief Human Resources Officer! I wonder how much that is per employee?

Indeed, its important for Tesla supporters to recognize what happened in the crypto space this week: there as a DELIBERATE effort to tank the price of BTC (down 20% over a 24 hr period) and (miraculously) the selling stopped exactly at the price level where the instigators guessed that they would force an impairment loss on Tesla
You lead a rich fantasy life. According to you, everything is a conspiracy by mysterious forces beyond our control. And it's all about TSLA all the time. We're so lucky you are here to explain these phenomena to us.

I hadn’t seen any evidence of Model S with a rear casting. Did I miss something? It’s shown at about 10:50.
View attachment 664100
The spider web inside the rear wheel-well is the signature of a casting. (Billet CNC would be to costly and much slower.)
Whether this is a full size single piece rear casting or just the visible size can't be determined from this picture.

The best part is no part. Building hardware to fix a software problem is crazy. Far better to fix the software.

Solving renewables is solving core competency generic problem. Nothing specific to crypto hardware.

So many Cryptos, Lightning n/w etc -- Better algorithms, better cost structure etc etc. Crypto algos are not core competency, though EM has X/Paypal experience.

Most all hog energy - so just solve the energy problem for them.
Let the Crypto miners buy Megapacks, Solar arrays, Powerwalls ... cheers!!

(+Anything else crypto, should be a different company like Boring, Neuralink)

Last edited:
Reactions: aubreymcfato
I think Elon is stretching the truth a bit. Maybe the original design using the ACP system did but I don't recall anyone with a production Roadster having it.

Also my understanding Tesla's just need a software update to enabled this sort of functionality. The real work is the additional electronics needed at the house for power system to accept the juice from the vehicle.

I'm not sure if you are speaking of all Tesla's (as opposed to the CT, which is subject to change). but this is untrue. Existing Tesla HW doesn't support V2G or V2H:

Couple different things getting discussed here.
1: Vehicle to house via vehicle inverter, direct AC output. I'm guessing this is what the original Roadster could do. The power electronics module (PEM) handled both charging and AC motor drive so pack DC to charge port AC was possible.

Current cars split these two functions and do not have a bidirectional inverter/ charger, as @scaesare points out, which leads us to:

2: Vehicle to house via house mounted inverter, DC output. This is what I assumed @thx1139 was referring to by "additional electronics needed at the house for power system to accept the juice from the vehicle". No additional cost on the car side, just software.

In either case, to be a home backup system requires a Gateway style automatic disconnect switch and coordination with the car. Without that, the best any can do is load/ generation time shifting.

Indeed, its important for Tesla supporters to recognize what happened in the crypto space this week: there as a DELIBERATE effort to tank the price of BTC (down 20% over a 24 hr period) and (miraculously) the selling stopped exactly at the price level where the instigators guessed that they would force an impairment loss on Tesla:

Kind of seems like a coincidence to me. Crypto started rallying again when Elon said Tesla had diamond hands. And if they were going to go all that trouble to tank it, why not tank it even more to cause an even bigger impairment. Plus all the cryptos like Doge and ETH tanked at the same time.

The spider web inside the rear wheel-well is the signature of a casting. (Billet CNC would be to costly and much slower.)
Whether this is a full size single piece rear casting or just the visible size can't be determined from this picture.

Here's another angle. Does not appear to be a single piece rear casting to me.

1621528238154.png

Out 3 units were finally installed May 10th. Almost a year since initial order.
Same here, it took 14 months from the time I signed the contract til my installer was able to procure 3 of them. He said he had >150 on order, but Tesla was only sending him 2 or 3 at a time. But, as you said, I love them, especially when I just found out that they are the new Powerwall+ units! :cool:
I have a feeling that Ford's "can power your house" option is simply a 240 outlet that you can backfeed to a dedicated outlet on your house, just like most of my friends here in South Florida have for a generator for hurricane outages. The transfer switch/grid disconnect would be a nice added feature though. Maybe they could do something sweet like using that Tesla meter adapter that would automatically disconnect you from the grid when you plug the eF-150 power cord into the outlet.

Reactions: Christine69420
Kind of seems like a coincidence to me. Crypto started rallying again when Elon said Tesla had diamond hands. And if they were going to go all that trouble to tank it, why not tank it even more to cause an even bigger impairment. Plus all the cryptos like Doge and ETH tanked at the same time.
An anonymous person from another forum said everything was a setup and intend to make someone liquidated and immediately pull everything back from 30K. That anonymous person actually mentioned the exact timing when it's going to happen and to what levels a day in advance.