Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
someone needs to tell them they are called Megachargers not semichargers.
Why do you assume Frito Lay purchased Megachargers?

I would think it more likely they purchased overnight lower power chargers (like Superchargers)?

although maybe Tesla will provide something like a 1 MW Megacharger that could split power to up to 8 trucks or something?

Reactions: FireMedic
Why do you assume Frito Lay purchased Megachargers?

I would think it more likely they purchased overnight lower power chargers (like Superchargers)?

although maybe Tesla will provide something like a 1 MW Megacharger that could split power to up to 8 trucks or something?

Why do I assume? I did not assume, every article by every source I've seen says it is so. Even other articles by the same site (with a different author) call it Megachargers, apparently that one guy just didn't know.

if you google "semicharger" it all comes back to the one article source (Yahoo and Bazinga have parroted the misnomer) and then jumps back to really old articles and non tesla results.

If that guy wants to rename Megachargers to semichargers he needs to tell Elon Musk. As far as I can tell Tesla isn't using that term.

Last edited:
If it's really mission related then Tesla should make its own coin with top of the line ease of transaction and by using the lowest energy being on renewables. This is the best way to crash 10 thousand other coins out there and have one to rule them all. Don't be giving the coin MOST harmful to the environment legitimacy by adopting it. Elon should be trashing it to the ground. Electricity usage will tank once the coin becomes worthless.

Elon seems to like the idea of digital currency. Great, go create your own with a small team of engineers using first principles and renewable energy. This pump and dump and pump of BTC is the dumbest 4D chess I have ever seen.
I think he is putting people through this so that when he does exactly, or almost exactly, what you suggest people will understand that it is necessary, even though some people really want Tesla to be a straight up automotive manufacturer - with no real mission.

I really hope that Master of Coin disposed of all the BTC long before it cratered like this. As an Investor, I would not be happy if I found out we did all the capital raises to build up our cash reserves only to take $1.5 billion of it and basically light it on fire for some fake digital monpoly money.

I wish they never got into bitcoin but personal opinions aside given btc current price its basically even from purchase. A far cry from lighting it on fire.

I really hope that Master of Coin disposed of all the BTC long before it cratered like this. As an Investor, I would not be happy if I found out we did all the capital raises to build up our cash reserves only to take $1.5 billion of it and basically light it on fire for some fake digital monpoly money.
The whole point of buying the BTC was to hold it as a long term hedge against inflation. They means potentially opportunistically buying or selling small amounts to manage that hedge, but not trading or selling for short term profits. Master of Coin would be delinquent in his duties if he sold their inflation hedge over day to day moves in price.

The whole point of buying the BTC was to hold it as a long term hedge against inflation. They means potentially opportunistically buying or selling small amounts to manage that hedge, but not trading or selling for short term profits. Master of Coin would be delinquent in his duties if he sold their inflation hedge over day to day moves in price.

Given the commodity price inflation from earlier this month one could hope that in those duties he sold some to compensate for rising material prices with that same logic

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Why do I assume? I did not assume, every article by every source I've seen says it is so. Even other articles by the same site (with a different author) call it Megachargers, apparently that one guy just didn't know.
I wrote the article. Yes, Semichargers are the same thing as Megachargers. You can use whichever term you prefer. People should be thankful I coined the term before Nikola did 🤫

Sorry I must disagree. The most pollution reduction is from retirement of the most polluting heavily used vehicles. Ancient deeply polluting vehicles driven for short distances occasionally haven't much value gained by replacing with BEV. In general the highest use is not from high end vehicles. Range Rovers and the like rarely are driven in heavy use. As in most such issues, the facts tend to be found in lots of data.

OTOH replacing most any Uber vehicle or other taxi with a BEV will yield more benefit than in most applications.
But you would be wrong. The context here is federal credits And price limits on vehicles. And federal credits are not going to cause the retirement of the most polluting vehicles because they are owned by people who canot afford new cars either way. Or not at least in the context of federal credits as they are done or will be done.

Which leaves us to the real world USA federal credits and if they should have an income or vehicle price limit. And in that context, an MSRP limit will lead to less pollution reduction per dollar. For your way to work , we need a bonus or sweetener to encourage old heavy vehicles to be scrapped, not an MSRP limit.

• Disagree
Reactions: jbcarioca
Meanwhile, the innovation continues full steam ahead, seemingly unaware of the price of BTC.

"Tesla's new patent, published May 21, describes an invention that relates to cable assembly. According to it, a special module is included in the cable assembly that detects the leak. After detecting a leak, the module can alert the user to stop using the cable to charge the vehicle or automatically stop supplying power to the cable assembly. Thus, leak detection can help avoid faults in cable assemblies that can occur due to coolant contact with electrical conductors, and increase the safety of use of such cable assemblies."

Zoom out, and remember the unrivalled pace of innovation of the generational growth story we are invested in.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, it has nothing to do with BTC or Twitter, but I thought you might want to know about the possible fine.

Not quite.

In our lowest ranking court - a conciliation board - around 30 Tesla owners were granted NOK 136,000 or about $16,200 each in compensation for slower charging speed on their Teslas.

If you sum this up it's more like $486,000 - not $162 millions.

One could speculate that if Tesla paid this compensation to all older Teslas in Norway it would be $162 million in total. But this in this case only the 30 or so original complainants are included.

Some speculate that Tesla will say OK to this to get the case closed. But they could also appeal.

Edit: The board told Tesla primarily to undo the battery charging restrictions - or secondary to pay this compensation. Tesla has not made any comments on this yet.

I am not a lawyer so I hope I got the translation and legal mumbo jumbo across. Some comments from me:

Some older cars with the 85 KWh battery have gotten better charging speed after installing recent updates.

I don't believe Tesla has told us the reason why the charging speed was lowered originally but some think it was to reduce the risk of fires. I know some 85 owners are OK with this. And as we can see some were not.

AFAIK this conciliation board did not dive into the technical aspect of this situation.
Edit: Which is probably why they primarily want Tesla to restore the charging process to a potentially more dangerous version.

Last edited:
Would you be similarly opposed to Tesla diversifying their cash holdings into various foreign currencies?

Yes. Cash does not produce anything. The usefulness of cash is that you can spend it. You need enough cash for operations and investment. Tesla should be using its cash to invest in its mission of electric transportation and renewable energy. If it has more cash than it needs for expenditures and can usefully invest, then pay dividends or buy back stock. Don't leave it sitting in cash, and certainly don't speculate in volatile commodities. Nobody can know whether BTC will go up or down. Anybody who believes it will go up is free to speculate in it. But Tesla has a specific mission, and that mission is not speculation.

The limited amount of cash needed for operations and investment does not need to be diversified out of dollars except if the investment and operations are going to be happening in another country, in which case convert the needed money to the currency of that country.

And if Tesla does need to put some money in a "store of wealth" put it in something stable. Don't speculate with it. Vanguard has several bond funds that pay reasonable dividends and are reasonably stable. That would be a far better choice than BTC. Elon can speculate with his own money. Don't speculate with shareholders' money.

And yes, Tesla started as a speculative company in that like any start-up there was no certainty it would succeed. I put some money into it because I believe in electric transportation and I wanted to support that mission. I was willing to take a risk on electric cars. I was not putting my money into a hedge fund that would seek out opportunities for non-productive speculation. I want Tesla to sell all its BTC and use that money to build electric cars and trucks and batteries and solar panels.