Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AMC is up 88% today, there's nothing rational about it.

I kinda like that retail is clearly getting a good feel for what hedge funds are up to. Nothing wrong with leveraging a situation where shares are so heavily shorted you can squeeze them to infinity.

Let's see how many times they stop trading today.

Reiterating my belief that TSLA is like cash to a lot of these people. It's their stable currency they know will hold the most value long term. Today's 88% profits will flow back into TSLA eventually.

* Edit: Pardon me, up 100%+ today.
Indeed, in recent days meme traders appear to have been piling into AMC and more of their targets, especially today. As you suggest, they might have been cashing in some TSLA to play their game. Hedge fund algobots may have been joining them. I'd expect a return to normalcy fairly soon.

Last edited:
This is a process that allows a company to understand how many of it's shares are being held, without actually being held. AKA 'naked positions'. Here's an SEC doc which talks about this: Comments of J. McFall on S7-08-09

And another: Comments of s. investor of naked shorted stock on S7-08-09

Facsinating topic, but what I find most interesting is the lack of information on the topic as both the above are from 2009 and a Google search of any content from this past year turns up a big fat ZERO.
And a series of weaponized drones begins hovering over your home.......

... i have a feeling you are looking at the TSLA stock price more than you would like to admit.. maybe you are not worrying ...but you certainly are paying attention :D.. i am also a long term buy and hold investor ... but as much as i want to ignore the ticker i cant ....
Haha! Well there's a difference between checking the price once in a while and having your eyeballs physically connected to the ticker with surgical tubing as if every moment is important. I'm more likely to look at the chart once in a while to get a feel for share supply/demand. My favorite TSLA chart these days is the two year chart because it takes us from the 4-5 year plateau to present.

Speaking of which, this Thursday is the two year anniversary of the 2019 split adjusted $36 share price low. The following day I doubled my position at $37, so up 16X in less than two years. Yet people still consider $600 "low"? Hmmm... does not compute. In the weeks leading up to that purchase, yes, I was checking the stock price multiple times a day, but I had buying on my mind. And I was drooling while trying to exercise the utmost in patience. Because I know my ability to buy is finite.

Sometimes checking the stock price is a rational thing to do, at all other times it is simply a bad habit or even an addiction.

Haha! Well there's a difference between checking the price once in a while and having your eyeballs physically connected to the ticker with surgical tubing as if every moment is important. I'm more likely to look at the chart once in a while to get a feel for share supply/demand. My favorite TSLA chart these days is the two year chart because it takes us from the 4-5 year plateau to present.

Speaking of which, this Thursday is the two year anniversary of the 2019 split adjusted $36 share price low. The following day I doubled my position at $37, so up 16X in less than two years. Yet people still consider $600 "low"? Hmmm... does not compute. In the weeks leading up to that purchase, yes, I was checking the stock price multiple times a day, but I had buying on my mind. And I was drooling while trying to exercise the utmost in patience. Because I know my ability to buy is finite.

Sometimes checking the stock price is a rational thing to do, at all other times it is simply a bad habit or even an addiction.

I mean...except for that one time when TSLA went 8x in a year in 2020 after a 4 year delayed gratification.

I’ve seen these patterns before, and then we rally out of the blue.

Hmm, beg to differ. We did not rally "out of the blue": we rallied when Tesla forced MMs+hedgies to cover their naked shorts (which were open for literally years) Once with the stock dividend, 2nd time with the S&P bulk share transfer.

There is no accounting for shares outstanding on Wall St. (Clearing House shenanigans). With the coming stock split announcement, I look for Tesla also to issue some sort of unique ID for each share (ie: a NFT). Anything that can't be counterfeited by market makers who abuse the "Madoff Exemption" aka SEC Reg. SHO.

And I expect this to be greeted with howls of "unfair!" by the worst offenders on Wall St. (fate loves irony). That alone would be worth the effort, almost.

However, it'll be most effective if Tesla does NOT do a cap raise to end the rally. Indeed, Tesla may not even wish to do this until Elon's 2018 CEO comp. plan is fully paid (ie: 12 of 16 milestones are in the books). That may take 4-5 quarters, but by then both Gigas Texas and Berlin will have joined the battle.

This is a juggernaut that is gathering steam (or whatever powers the Robotaxi Network). Hope you have your chairs in place for the big show. Popcorn now on backorder. :D

Cheers!

Last edited: