Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently Jerome Guillen's job went from President of Automotive to VP of Heavy Duty Trucks. So perhaps he saw this as a demotion, and a sign to move on.
Zack and Elon's Technoking/Master of Coin salvo probably covered for it in the previous filing when he changed roles, but I'm guessing he had already turned in his badges, and was serving in what is called in Formula1 parlance a 'gardening leave'. It was time for him to part ways - and there probably wasn't an easy way to do this. And he had taken a sabattical previously too. Doug Field also took one before he left... this usually is how suits part ways.

It's probably the end of an era, Straubel, Jerome et all - part of the OG club at Tesla. I hope Drew and Zach stay around for years to come. Drew, especially.

I know of an electric semi company that needs a bit of help…

Lol, Jerome, JB, Deepak... all moved on as did Tesla (on and UP). But if Kimbal ever leaves the paddock, its game over: (How did SNL not have Kimbal in the "Cowboy Standoff" skit?) :p

xnre66t627g01.jpg

The BIG $$$ in the Supercharging Network business is in Food Service. ;)

Cheers!

I thought Jerome was someone good at the company or something. Not sure what's going on here? But Tesla has long been a company where people burn out hard and then just up and quit. I wonder what this means for Semi though.
It probably means it moves forward. I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say there are other people working on it beside Jerome. Maybe Jerome is the reason it’s been held up so long.

Whatever it is, it’ll be fine.

well, getting the sub 2 second 0-60 and 9 sec 1/4 mile time with 18650 format and 2 motors is quite an accomplishment. no reason to have the cost, complexity and weight of 3 motors when 2 will do it fine. plus some spy shots of possible rear casting to save weight.

I'll bet that these changes actually result in a cheaper car to build.

I'm looking forward to Friday.

Plaid has 3 motors. LR has 2.

Purely anecdotal and not in a great area to compare (Wyoming), but a friend of mine bought a Mach-E and kept telling me that Ford is better than Tesla in all ways.... and that the Mach-E could be driven on the same routes in the same time. Just about 6 weeks later they have found that driving from Cheyenne to literally anywhere north, west or east is pretty much impossible without going far out of your way. Worse than that, the charging experience is mixed and not plug and play as is touted.

Thanks, that's a good data point. It looks like Wyoming has had a number of added Supercharger locations in recent years.

Your friend must be disconnected from reality to believe the Ford is better than a Tesla in all ways:

Range
Performance
Price
Autopilot and other software features

Hmmmm....I always thought those type of people only existed on the Internet, it's quite a shocker to realize they exist in the flesh and blood! Does he have any other unusual traits? ;)

Ironically, whenever somebody leaves Tesla this forum seems to make one of the biggest stinks about it, lol.
Jerome was a pretty big deal with folks here back in the day. Was brought in to fix the customer communication issues and get production moving. To see him get demoted and quit is a big deal IMO. Especially when arrive and communication is still a problem.

Now that Energy guy.......that's nothing. He was barely even onboard. Bad got apparently....or he's fishing for SPAC millions.

Jerome was a pretty big deal with folks here back in the day. Was brought in to fix the customer communication issues and get production moving. To see him get demoted and quit is a big deal IMO. Especially when arrive and communication is still a problem.

Now that Energy guy.......that's nothing. He was barely even onboard. Bad got apparently....or he's fishing for SPAC millions.
I get the sentiment around Jerome and we all love him......but don't kid yourself. The S/X refresh debacle happened under his watch and the longer it's taken them to get the refreshed S/X into actual production, the more obvious the screw up is.

And the person that's been running the Automotive business ever since has been killing it. So no....it's not a big deal except for a person's own personal feelings about how important Jerome has been to Tesla in the past. Which again, he was super important in the past. But in the present.....there's really no impact of this at all. Tesla's automotive division is killing it in every facet except for the S/X.

All speculation on why Jerome left....Reasons we probably will never know. It could have just boiled down to wanting to spend more time with family, or just for mental health sanity.....I know my 9 year old daughter has dramatically changed during the pandemic, being stuck at home and having to see me (her dad) every day... :oops:
that must be brutal :)

As an early Model S owner, I will always appreciate what Jerome did for the company. I hope he left amicably of his own volition but would have expected a bit more of a send off. TSLA has done fine since JB left but this to me is another key departure that I do not like.
Agreed. Jerome’s departure is the worst Tesla news of 2021. And it’s especially sad that he won’t get to preside over first deliveries of the Semi.

Thanks, that's a good data point. It looks like Wyoming has had a number of added Supercharger locations in recent years.

Your friend must be disconnected from reality to believe the Ford is better than a Tesla in all ways:

Range
Performance
Price
Autopilot and other software features

Hmmmm....I always thought those type of people only existed on the Internet, it's quite a shocker to realize they exist in the flesh and blood! Does he have any other unusual traits? ;)
Does he have big mechanical buttons on his smartphone screen and computer monitor? :p

I get the sentiment around Jerome and we all love him......but don't kid yourself. The S/X refresh debacle happened under his watch and the longer it's taken them to get the refreshed S/X into actual production, the more obvious the screw up is.

And the person that's been running the Automotive business ever since has been killing it. So no....it's not a big deal except for a person's own personal feelings about how important Jerome has been to Tesla in the past. Which again, he was super important in the past. But in the present.....there's really no impact of this at all. Tesla's automotive division is killing it in every facet except for the S/X.
We don't even know what the debacle is. Chip shortage? Software delay? Drive trains reliability issues? No one knows and you are pinning this on the Semi guy like it's his fault. The guy is leaving and everyone on this forum feels he went from the savior of Tesla to the burden of Tesla without knowing much of anything.

Last edited:
This is flat out wrong. Discharging/charging (as in the SPEED which is what we are talking about) is affected by the distance electrons need to go in the cell and resistance inside the cell (and other factors well outside of density). A 4680 cell has more potential distance for electricity to travel given identical cell makeup otherwise. This resistance makes heat during charging and discharging. These things do not scale linearly.
You’re arguing with Tesla and math, not me.

Tesla stated a 4680 cell has 5X the energy and 6X the power vs a 2170 cell.

That would mean an 80 kWh 4680 pack can put out or receive 20% more power than an 80 kWh 2170 pack.

Receiving 20% more power means it charges more rapidly.

6X power and 5X energy increase is BY DEFINITION a 20% improvement in cell C Rate.

Last edited: