Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re still in the dark as to whether plaid has 4680.

New battery pack was all that was said. Do we have to wait for Sandy to pull it apart, or will close inspection give it away?

edit: not relevant to sales of plaid, but reveals level of preparedness to ramp cell making at Berlin and Austin.

if the Plaid had 4680s, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops. (also, it'd have more than 390 mile range)

These are 18650s with revised chemistry, wiring, and cooling.

The difference between battery day/semi reveal/Cybertruck and this delivery event is that they didn't give you all the details 5 months prior.

I think you would have over looked the awkwardness of this presentation if everything said today was new never heard before. You would be typing "WTF 1000HP? PS5? Look at that steering wheel!..a second screen?!"

Yup, a simple case where if they had just not announced the refreshed S/X until this event, the perception would be drastically different.

I still think the auto-direction thanks to AP is a step change revolution for anyone that experiences that.......and it was glossed over in like a minute.

I’m a video producer, and I run a global video studio, and I absolutely despise every single live event the Tesla runs. I do live programs several times a week and it takes practice to get it right, but it seems like the guys that they consistently hire to run their programs always have trouble talking to their cameramen and making sure that things run smoothly. Even without Elon there, they should have had someone on the stage going through the presentation (even a fake demonstration with fake numbers) several times so that they knew what cameras to switch to when, etc.

Agreed. Other impressive items: motor tech, reduced cold weather range loss, sound system.

As for the presentation, I dislike the formulaic slow-pan videos and enjoy the awkward stuttering Elon. Seems so much more authentic to me. Don't feel I am being sold.

For years I have looked at what Elon does through this lens: 'One of the worlds most gifted engineers with the sense of humour of a 14 year old'. I find if I keep that in mind I am rarely surprised by his actions.
Yes!! I’d already forgotten about that cold weather improvement! Did he not say there is no more range reduction in cold weather!?

TSLA always drops after events, even if the event was conducted in Steve Jobs Theater on the Apple Park campus by Tom Hiddleston it would have the same result. I'm not fussed, what we really want to know is if/when the V11 UI will hit existing cars and when Tesla App Store and Tesla Games Store will open and I guess that will be left for a future announcement.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Do we have a list of the people that complained after the CyberTruck unveiling as CT being *sugar*? It’s probably really similar with a list of people complaining this is presentation is underwhelming and *sugar*🤣

/s

THE BEST PRODUCTION CAR EVER. Will beat 99.999% of the cars on the road. Nothing special 🙄

edit:

Well we got ourselves into an expectation frenzy. Nothing new but doesn't take away from the amazing car this is. One of the most abused marketing phrases in the automotive world is 'all new'. This is pretty all new except ironically most of the exterior. New motor, new pack, new chassis, new interior, new software, new HVAC. This is Tesla's best foot forward on every aspect of a car. On pretty much any measure the best car in the world. Looking forward to my long range S in August (which for reference will add ~70% more range than my 2012 Model S).

Does anyone know the Cd of the previous Model S and the original fish mouth nose version? How much did they improve it? Pretty impressive considering they managed a more roomy back seat.

Reactions: Thumper
The difference between battery day/semi reveal/Cybertruck and this delivery event is that they didn't give you all the details 5 months prior.

I think you would have over looked the awkwardness of this presentation if everything said today was new never heard before. You would be typing "WTF 1000HP? PS5? Look at that steering wheel!..a second screen?!"
Well, no.

The awkwardness had nothing to do with my opinion. Been here with TSLA and Elon for a long time. Nothing new to me.

I don't think he said none, I'm not sure physics allows that, but the implication was that at least maintaining cabin temperature would not be a significant drag on range.
Common sense says maintaining cabin temperature in cold weather will still impact range significantly but Elon said 30% improvement.

No. Carbon sleeved rotors just increase top rpm. Don’t need 150mph? Then you don’t need this tech and extra expense.

Yeah, more exactly the carbon-overwrap keeps the steel rotors from fragging at high rpm ("20,000 or a little more").

The carbon overwrapped rotors also allow tighter clearances resulting in a more efficicient motor (read: less waste heat at high power output)

There's no point in applying these extras to the M3P or Y since they are software limited to 155 mph. That's how the steel rotor stays together with a single speed drive. At the 20K rpm required at the 200 mph top speed of the Plaid S, the rotors need extra tensile strength.

Whoever was asking if they'll do this on the Semi, uh, no.

this presentation managed to fail even the most modest expectations.

- zero mention of 4680, cybertruck, roadster, or any new product.
- 390 mile range for the Plaid is below the lowest expectations.
- elon was clearly seeing these slides for the first time, and was so awkward it was hard to watch.

overall, just a huge "why did they even bother?" from me.
I agree..

Hope I'm wrong but I think the market will see this as a big nothing-burger. Might see $550 tomorrow (later today). Nothing has changed long term with the company and the future is bright, no doubt. The fickle markets however may very well latch onto the headlines from (pick your favorite MSM outlet) that are sure to come.

Ahh...life as a TSLA investor!

Dan

Is 0-60 really under 2 seconds? Or is that something that’s going to be valid under certain conditions? Has there been any time to show, or it’s just what we’re going by based on what they tell us it is?
Tesla doesn't fudge 0-60 mph numbers. I'm sure it's measured at 90% state of charge and if it was cold out the battery would need to pre-heated. The fastest 0-60 and 1/4 mile times will be in warmer weather and in such conditions people regularly beat Tesla's published specs.

We’re still in the dark as to whether plaid has 4680.

New battery pack was all that was said. Do we have to wait for Sandy to pull it apart, or will close inspection give it away?

edit: not relevant to sales of plaid, but reveals level of preparedness to ramp cell making at Berlin and Austin.
I’m telling you, not 4680s. Let it go.