Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that motor is just... beautiful. I'd like to have one just to carry around with me to show people what a 1,000+ horsepower looks like in 2021. I would hold it like a beautiful baby, just born. "Look how GORGEOUS is this??! :Do_O:)
And didn’t he say you could in fact just pick it up in your hands - indicating it’s not very heavy.

I suspect you’d dress your motor up in its favorite outfit.

Cancelling my Plaid + and X orders tomorrow. I'll keep my Y perf and take my CT when available. To think I almost flew myself out there for this event ... yikes. Elon has cost me millions with his Bitcoin FUD.

Apparently you were not entertained by the show. But what is it that you do not like about the product?

What other mid-large OEM has an answer to the Tesla tri-motor Plaid powertrain?

- Single speed no gearbox
- 0 to 20,000 RPM
- Triple permanent magnet motors
- Torque vectoring
- 0 to 200mph capable
- Deliveries starting TODAY

It's literally checkmate to ICE and every other OEM already. Every other vehicle in this price range has to somehow beat this powertrain. Nobody can say they have a quicker and better performing powertrain for a long time. Unless someone can come out with a cheaper alternative, that alternative will be DOA.

I don’t know about that particular argument. Seems like most Tesla owners and non-owners always want to see more and more range.
And, I don’t know about you, but I don’t get near rated range in our S and X (not newest revision or Plaid, obviously, though).

oh, the irony of dictating to people what they "really need in the real world" when you are selling them a car that goes 200mph and does 0-60 in under 2 seconds.

Last edited:
I don’t know about that particular argument. Seems like most Tesla owners and non-owners always want to see more and more range.
And, I don’t know about you, but I don’t get near rated range in our S and X (not newest revision or Plaid, obviously, though).

In a bubble, “range is king”. Why not 600 miles? Why not 1000?

What’s the percentage of time you end up needing to supercharge on a daily basis?

The days you don’t, you paid extra for cells you didn’t use. Being battery constrained, you took cells away from another car that could have been built.

zero sum game.

I liked the improved interior, and the yoke.
I am not impressed with the emphasis Tesla has placed on its new flagship vehicle on staggering - but useless - performance numbers. Range, not a 0-60 time that 99.44% of all owners never will accomplish and 100% never will need, is king.
I do appreciate the nicely improved Supercharging times.
The virtuosic improvement of the motor demonstrates that it CAN be useful…in some applications. Aviation? But it is not of use either in the LA Basin or in Alaska.
I am happy that Mr Musk acknowledged…seemed to bow to incessant and, from the perspective of a listener, unanimous plea from the audience…that what owners want are waypoints. What the blazes is wrong that it has been so appallingly difficult for Tesla to comprehend that such is a vital part of driving; that it is a laughably standard part of every other manufacturers’ products?
I am not happy that some time back Tesla stopped using an employee for monitoring TMC. We DO spend a lot of time discussing non-essential…non-productive Items, however, the S/N here remains far superior to that of just about every other (my belief is 100% of them) social network platforms.

Wow, that motor is just... beautiful. I'd like to have one just to carry around with me to show people what a 1,000+ horsepower looks like in 2021. I would hold it like a beautiful baby, just born. "Look how GORGEOUS is this??! :Do_O:)

347 hp each. There's 3 of them. If it's any consolation, they're software limited, so you could wick it up if you want to trade power for lifetime.

The Germans are like....ONE SPEED TRANSMISSION TO 200 MPH?!?!?!

The Porsche Taycan famously has a 2 speed transmission to maintain acceleration curve to it's top speed of 155 mph. This is something completely alien to them, like genuinely alien technology they have no comprehension of.
It probably costs Tesla 1/5 the amount to carbon sleeve the rotors as it costs Porsche to add a two speed automatic transmission. And the carbon sleeves add less than a pound of extra weight and no extra friction while the two speed tranny probably adds close to 100 pounds and reduces efficiency by a couple of percent.

I believe Elon actually said the carbon sleeve increases efficiency/power slightly by allowing them to spec a smaller clearance between the rotor and the windings.

No. Spot me the 'regulation' that sets the speed at 40. Nevada does allow self driving cars. Those are not the reasons.

from The financial pickle facing Elon Musk’s Las Vegas Loop system – TechCrunch
Clark County regulators have approved just 11 human-driven vehicles so far, set strict speed limits and forbidden the use of on-board collision-avoidance technology that is part of Tesla’s “full self-driving” Autopilot advanced driver assistance system.

the public documentation is at Accela Citizen Access but I haven't found the speed limit language yet, tons of documents there and some haven't been released yet.

I have to say, this is funny. I've been explaining for over 2 years how SRPM motors are not rpm limited by back EMF like the AC induction motor in the rear of the old P100D.

Have you now got the motivation to read and learn what that actually means? Because that's the answer.

The only new tech in the Plaid motors is the carbon overwrapped rotors to keep them from fragging at 20K+ rpm.

Because PHYSICS.
Obvious in the presentation as well. Gee, stupid me. But please do continue, as I'm also amused.

Bet they are giggling. I'd be giggling if I were there.

The livestream was awful.

I hate that I have to clear my throat, again, but the product is amazing. That's what I'm here for.

But the livestream was awful, cat.
I enjoyed it. It wasn't awful for me. I'll watch it again over the weekend. I dislike the perfectly polished presentations that have been rehearsed a thousand times and in the end appear fake. People were shouting funny comments at Elon, and Elon was laughing, and responding back. Name one other CEO that does this. It was intentionally very casual.

What other mid-large OEM has an answer to the Tesla tri-motor Plaid powertrain?

- Single speed no gearbox
- 0 to 20,000 RPM
- Triple permanent magnet motors
- Torque vectoring
- 0 to 200mph capable
- Deliveries starting TODAY

It's literally checkmate to ICE and every other OEM already. Every other vehicle in this price range has to somehow beat this powertrain. Nobody can say they have a quicker and better performing powertrain for a long time. Unless someone can come out with a cheaper alternative, that alternative will be DOA.
This powertrain is going to be the basis for the Roadster too. An actual small sports car with this powertrain is going to be absolutely wild. But yeah, we're at the limits of traction now so 0-60 can't really be any faster without the SpaceX jets. However I can see the Roadster posting sub-9's to the quarter mile easily. Also the only reason they set the Plaid S top speed to 200 mph is so the Roadster's top speed can be even higher.

The Bugatti Chiron is electronically limited to a top speed of 261 mph simply because Bugatti was unable to find a production tire that could withstand the stresses of going faster. So Tesla needs to literally find or engineer new tire technology before they can release a production car that can go as fast as engineering and testing version of the Chiron did, hitting 304 mph under specific testing conditions with special single use tires supplied by Michelin just for that one test.