Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. And don’t forget more headroom too—that’s significant when it comes to sales. I’m tallish with a relatively long torso and would have bought an earlier S if it hadn’t lacked that bit of headroom that I needed.

Yet, Tesla also achieved record breaking low drag while increasing the headroom. That is amazing.
Yes, took notice of that too. That my head doesn’t brush the roofliner and the fact that I don’t have to bob my head around to see the dash which is always obscured by the top of the steering wheel are my two favourite things about my 3 compared to the S. This new design eliminates both of those concerns… 🤔

Forgive Me Father For I Have Sinned.
I slept on it, watch the presentation again (without the Sonoma-Cutrer) and changed my mind.
The Plaid is actually amazing.
(Can I get before June 30th?)
I’m going to suggest Tesla make you wait for shooting from the hip before letting your brain engage. You’re not new and I was wondering last night if your account had been hacked. You came real close to getting a disagree from me, which I tend to not give to members I enjoy even if I really disagree with them.

Last edited:
Look i'm more than happy to be wrong. If you say I don't know what im talking about and you guys know how to value the share price/market cap then giddy up. Let's see how we go moving forward. I would absolutely LOVE for you to be right.

If you are telling me you know that TSLA P/E is going from 600 to 300 at Q2 then so be it. We'll see in a month or so. And if you are wrong then it'll just be another notch in my "you guys are really optimistic all the time" belt.
You’re almost certainly wrong though you might take consolation in the fact that, as far as I can tell, no one knows how to value Tesla very accurately especially in the near and very near term.

There are too many variables looking long term at the actual business and too many, er, cross currents in it’s reflection in the market in the near.

Still, the long term outlook is almost certainly so bright that I don’t really care what somebody’s model says. I just hold—still haven’t ever sold a share—so I don’t need to sweat the (mostly manufactured) volatility.

I listen to the various attempts at valuation with half an ear as they can be entertaining and sometimes contain useful thoughts.

Curious does anyone let alone CNBC ever mention other price targets from GLJ Research? Does GLJ Research even have price targets for other tickers?
Yes, he does, and in fact he is a surprisingly successful analyst if you remove his TSLA targets and look at the rest. Here is a video that explains it all:

Believe it or not, he used to be the #1 on tipranks and even now he would have a pretty decent rating if he just ignored TSLA and never made any predictions about it.
He is a generally bearish and picks companies he thinks are over-valued. And his sell predictions work for most of his picks with the notable exception of Tesla.
Looking at his history, it seems he picked SolarCity and predicted its demise before Elon decided to bail it out. He started covering Tesla following the SolarCity acquisition, so it seems his deep hatred of Tesla / Elon is rooted in the SolarCity saga, which basicaly ruined his career.

Yes, he does, and in fact he is a surprisingly successful analyst if you remove his TSLA targets and look at the rest. Here is a video that explains it all:

Believe it or not, he used to be the #1 on tipranks and even now he would have a pretty decent rating if he just ignored TSLA and never made any predictions about it.
He is a generally bearish and picks companies he thinks are over-valued. And his sell predictions work for most of his picks with the notable exception of Tesla.
Looking at his history, it seems he picked SolarCity and predicted its demise before Elon decided to bail it out. He started covering Tesla following the SolarCity acquisition, so it seems his deep hatred of Tesla / Elon is rooted in the SolarCity saga, which basicaly ruined his career.

The folks that got burned on SolarCity's survival are like a cute little cursed family, with Chanos as the paternal figure. It's like a disaster movie where the protagonists' best chance of survival is to split up, but goddamn it their love for each other will keep them together and doom them all...

Thats cherry picking. Everyone can be a good analyst with a collection of random stock picks and justify them being a good analyst if you just remove their underperforming stock ratings after the fact.

Yes, took notice of that too. That my head doesn’t brush the roofliner and the fact that I don’t have to bob my head around to see the dash which is always obscured by the top of the steering wheel are my two favourite things about my 3 compared to the S. This new design eliminates both of those concerns… 🤔
And short people will like the steering yoke too. It's for everyone!

Thats cherry picking. Everyone can be a good analyst with a collection of random stock picks and justify them being a good analyst if you just remove their underperforming stock ratings after the fact.
Quite simply you can trust an analyst who just plain lies. I watched that about a week ago and now more then ever it solidified to me that he simply lies.

Yup. And don’t forget more headroom too—that’s significant when it comes to sales. I’m tallish with a relatively long torso and would have bought an earlier S if it hadn’t lacked that bit of headroom that I needed.

Yet, Tesla also achieved record breaking low drag while increasing the headroom. That is amazing.
As I mentioned earlier, my understanding is that gains in interior space come from dash/interior-trim redesign, not larger exterior dimensions.

So the drag decrease wasn't impacted by the larger interior passenger space... just a refinement of the existing vehicle with the same(ish) dimensions.

It looks like Tesla has found that using three smaller motors vs two large motors gives them three major benefits:

Increased efficiency
Torque vectoring
Increased total power output
What other mid-large OEM has an answer to the Tesla tri-motor Plaid powertrain?

- Torque vectoring

Torque vectoring still seems to be glossed over this entire TMC forum. I have personally experienced torque vectoring in a BMW X5 M that would make a 2.5 ton SUV feel and handle like it was a 1.75ton BMW M3 even when pushed at 9/10ths. Besides Rimac and Rivian (with their 4 motors), Tesla is using the outside motor, in a turn, to push the entire vehicle into a turn. ICE had to use sophisticated limited slip differentials and electronic clutches with extra weight to achieve this desired benefit.

Tesla turned a vector problem into a software problem with just two rear motors instead of one. Next catalyst for auto nerds is when Tesla drops a Nurburgring lap with the new Plaid S. Next next catalyst (in 2029) is a FSD Nurburgring lap.

As I mentioned earlier, my understanding is that gains in interior space come from dash/interior-trim redesign, not larger exterior dimensions.

So the drag decrease wasn't impacted by the larger interior passenger space... just a refinement of the existing vehicle with the same(ish) dimensions.
Headroom is an inherent challenge with a skateboard battery in comparison to a vehicle without the battery under the floor. This is why Tesla has gone so far with glass roofs, imho.

The roofline would have to be raised or the floor lowered to get the headroom. Perhaps the new battery pack is not as tall as the previous generation?

I’m skeptical that interior trim changes would suffice because Tesla would presumably have made any such changes earlier on such an important dimension as headroom.

Still a 🤡