Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forget the magnificent Plaid release...$TSLA finally holding above $600....I present to you the best FUD courtesy via sponsors of Big Oil and Legacy OEM:

1623446448536.png

I don't know why Tesla would prioritize Superchargers in states like Texas that make it illegal to buy a Tesla! It only makes good sense to prioritize those states that actually WANT Tesla to sell their cars there. I mean, Texas is a huge state too, they are probably just putting the bare minimum in until Texas shows it's serious about letting Tesla compete on on even footing with ICE vehicles. ;)
Not enough Superchargers for travel are a much bigger impediment to sales than the laws. Texas has the second largest Tesla population next to California. But actually I'm after more north of Texas (Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska, etc.). The Texas laws are mainly annoying for Tesla and barely inconvenience the Tesla customer.

I wasn't planning on replacing my 2019 Ludicrous S until I got the Roadster. I'm worried the Roadster is going to be another couple years, so now I'm considering a new Model S.... I'm hopeless....
I saw a comment that Plaid+ may have been built on the Roadster platform,.

If the Roadster is 200 kWh I wonder if that can be done with a single layer pack made of 4680 cells within the Roadster footprint.

If Plaid+ had a 200 KWh 4680 pack, I wonder how that fits in size wise.

My tentative conclusion, the pack for the Roadster is very much an open question, and may need a new cell form factor.

There are reasons why the Roadster and Plaid+ are dealyed, I don't think the issue is motors. Mostly likely it is something to do with the battery pack.

I do think a 4680 pack up to 150 KWh may fit in the Model S platform.

Reactions: ThisStockGood
I noticed that you mention "Air sampling and monitoring" Is this a new feature / something new with the Bioweapon defence mode ?

i can’t confirm this. It was late and I thought I saw a reference to a reading for air quality on the screen. Thanks very much for the catch. I will try to edit it out.

[edit] Too late for me to edit it. I have asked for it to be removed. Don't like to spread incorrect info. Thanks again for the catch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
Tesla related: Not really ("competition is coming"?)- but first Toyota pure BEV available in UK - Toyota Proace Electric first drive - The Zap-Map Verdict

It does fill a niche & shows how Toyota might rely/work with Stellantis. Stellantis is becoming a major EV player/set of brands. Still tiny percentage of their vehicles are EVs. It indicates some strength & some weakness from Toyota to me. They're finally understanding the need for some BEVs, but cannot provide the platform & presumably cells, relying on Stellantis (Peugeot/FCA) is a weak situation.

I wonder if this is DESPITE Toyoda / Japan leadership, perhaps a Toyota Europe initiative

Sharing a platform and powertrain with Stellantis Group models – Vauxhall / Citroen / Peugeot – the Proace Electric has a choice between two battery options. Both can be charged at up to 100 kW DC, and there’s an 11 kW AC on-board option available, boosting the standard 7.4 kW set-up.

There are two configurations available:

• ● Toyota Proace Electric 50 kWh – 100 kW – 50 kWh – 142 miles
    • ● Toyota Proace Electric 75 kWh – 100 kW – 75 kWh – 205 miles

Last edited:
You and others have wondered why I was so confident. Another poster in another forum was in attendance and had a chance for conversations with Tesla engineers. I do not have permission to quote him verbatim and it's invitation only. So, my source is hearsay and not admissible in court. However, this person has been very reliable.

There were a number of other discussions including NVH and that those 2170's were in a newly designed pack, but that the pack was NOT structural. The new li-ion 12v battery was designed by Tesla (they did NOT say it was made by Tesla, so it may or may not be)

Separate comments from other attendees who also were talking with TSLA engineers seem to suggest that the improved efficiency and performance were dozens of small improvements plus the motors, a very big deal.

I hope we have direct statements coming soon, including from my source.
It would be ironic since Elon stated on a conference call a couple of years ago, clearly that the S and X would not receive the 2170s. Things change I guess.

Tesla related: UK - Spot the Tesla delivery wave on the registrations graph. Tesla Model 3 introduced in 2019 (second graph). I'm looking forward to June!

1623448300307.png

1623448405834.png

I'm getting more robots falling over graphics as I try and visit here, some error message.
Get a message of some kind of error when I check for alerts also.
This has been happening to me too. It looks like some kind of automated anti-flood protection but I don't think I'm refreshing the site 199 times a second like a bot does so I think the protection is a bit overzealous.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg and pdwitt
Elon is the Field Marshall of marketing, and he has just unleased a PR army on the autoworld. Here's the best video yet IMO, great in-depth and detailed 30-min presentation from a very popular youtube channel: Brooks from Dragtimes.

Brooks seems to collect raceable street cars, and run them against his friends in South Florida. He says he'll be making many more such videos once he takes delivery of his Plaid S in a few weeks.

Will be very popular content on Youtube: Captain of Guards, Tesla PR Army, Salute! :D

Cheers!

As spoken by one of the Tesla engineers starting at 11:24, motors specs:

3 identical motors
400HP rated each
470Nm approximately each

Plaid+ looked to have had the potential to be a 1200HP monster with 520mi+ range. 20% more power possible.

Tesla aims high.

It probably costs Tesla 1/5 the amount to carbon sleeve the rotors as it costs Porsche to add a two speed automatic transmission. And the carbon sleeves add less than a pound of extra weight and no extra friction while the two speed tranny probably adds close to 100 pounds and reduces efficiency by a couple of percent.

I believe Elon actually said the carbon sleeve increases efficiency/power slightly by allowing them to spec a smaller clearance between the rotor and the windings.

Without any deep knowledge of the electric motor industry, this, more power from less materials, strikes me as exciting. We know that Taycan didn’t go this route, instead opting for the suddenly obsolete two speed transmission. That suggests that Tesla have done something both difficult and groundbreaking.

Mass production turns difficult into inexpensive. There’s a hundred examples: microchips, cells, flat screen TVs, bandwidth etc.

Electric motors are in many things, and will be in more things as the ICE world crumbles.

Before tesla.com there was teslamotors.com
I am wondering if Tesla Motors will make a comeback as a separate profit making division, making smaller, lighter, yet higher powered motors than are currently available.

Without any deep knowledge of the electric motor industry, this, more power from less materials, strikes me as exciting. We know that Taycan didn’t go this route, instead opting for the suddenly obsolete two speed transmission. That suggests that Tesla have done something both difficult and groundbreaking.

Mass production turns difficult into inexpensive. There’s a hundred examples: microchips, cells, flat screen TVs, bandwidth etc.

Electric motors are in many things, and will be in more things as the ICE world crumbles.

I am wondering if Tesla Motors will make a comeback as a separate profit making division, making smaller, lighter, yet higher powered motors than are currently available.
Avoiding a transmission is probably the epitome of “the best part is no part”.

I would love to see an independent, maybe from Munro, comparison between Tesla's best motor and Lucid's best motor. As Lucid has presented information showing how far ahead they were in size and weight for performance. Do the new Tesla Plaid motors shift that back towards Tesla or not?

i asked for a source, and got crickets.

The lithium replacement for the 12V lead acid battery contains 4 x 4680 cells. So one can honestly (and mischievously) say that plaid S contains 4680 cells.

Source, is the sticker on the back of the new 12V drop in unit.

And oh, isn’t this another new product that Tesla could sell independently in the millions, eliminating another environmental menace, the lead acid battery?