Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except this was definitely the case with the Model Y rollout. Remember when they allegedly didn't know if they would produce it in Reno or Fremont less than one year from production start? Or the Model Y reveal event, when it was barely showcased. Like this image: (ps, the model Y is the blue one on the right you can barely see).

View attachment 673333

Tesla has great demand and margins but nothing is unlimited. They still have to be careful. It is interesting to watch how they deal with the eventual rollout out of 4680's to most of their lineup.
I believe most people did not listen or understood the battery day presentation. Shareholders and shorts definitely..the general buying public no not really.

I am not a volkswagen shareholder...if you were to ask me what kind of engine is in our SUV I have zero clue. If you ask me what Volkswagen's next version of our car will come with I have no clue. If you ask me where that engine or drive train will be build at again zero clue. And yet I can answer all of these questions about any Tesla. Try this experiment on yourself. You'll be surprised how little you know about your ICE car and how much you know about any Tesla(even if you don't own one).

TL;DR - The Tesla product and manufacturing innovation/efficiency lead continues to grow. My thoughts on why Tesla continues to extend its lead with every new 'competition' product launch.

All other things are a short term distraction for investors.

I've written this for the TMC investor thread community; not for public consumption as there is too much context for n00bs. Yeah, I'm a bull, but I feel I'm a very informed, tech engineer, turned product manager, first principles bull.

The best, most reliable, my 'go-to' sources for information on Tesla continue to be (I'm not associated with them, they are my heroes however):
  • Dave Lee @ Dave Lee on Investing - amazing insights abound
  • Rob @ Tesla Daily - all things financial
  • Jordan @ The Limiting Factor - all things battery
  • Sandy @ Munro Associates - *nearly* all things vehicle production (software, ECU, custom chips need some work, luv ya Sandy!)
  • Zac and Jesse @ Now you Know - super informative, super funny

Much longer version below...

While most or maybe even all of us know that some EV competition is 'coming' (Rivian, Lucid, NIO...etc), we also know, most at at an arms length, that it is really hard to bring to mass production, taking years to ramp, needing the best engineers, visionary leadership and the capital to keep the gears turning. Any one of these things not fully onboard and or operating efficiently will most likely spell doom at worst or at best cause such a lag as to not be competitive when the product is announced to launched.

We also know, from even the most recent product launches of competition that there are marketing, pent up demand or 'fanboy' purchasing for a quarter or even longer if their are government incentives, then come the dealer incentives and once those run out, the product seemingly goes into life support.

You don't need to look any farther than Tesla's software lead, but when you do you see so much more. Many more insurmountable moats that continue to grow. Underneath software is firmware, then custom ECU's, then custom ASIC's or state of the art chips like the new graphics in the S (not industry standard). These power the entire car and enable to the engineering playground to quickly iterate and enable the most advanced features of any product (not exclusive to autos). Even with my time at Tesla and working on BIOS at Dell and XBOX, I'm absolutely floored that Cyberpunk 2077 at 60fps is playable and appears smooth on the S. It is such an amazing achievement and speaks volumes to their engineering prowess and vision. This is also the tip of the tech iceberg as Sandy continues to discover in his teardowns that Tesla has such a huge lead on HVAC innovations (Octovalve), IDRA gigpress chassis, structural batteries, BMS, motors, inverters, gearboxes...etc (the list is so long). For instance, how many OEM's make their own body controls ECU's? or even know how to swap out a bootloader in the field? (I'd guess none as none have ever demonstrated it or even talked about implementing features which would demonstrate it).

I've been an investor for over 10 years now, been through several valleys, seen some ATH mountaintops and never once thought that competition is at Tesla's doorstep. When the S launched in 2012 I thought OEM's would, out of sheer fear, start reverse engineering and then start production of their own EV optimized chassis and all the other necessary engineering to 'catch up'. This effectively didn't happen and was evident when Porsche released the Taycan. A great effort, but sorely lacking in so many areas that it is a testimonial to how a formerly leading OEM has been put to task and failed to deliver product/marketplace competition. Their product is beautiful, track worthy and that's where it ends as it is also less efficient, much more expensive and has serious issues at the software and firmware side (this is at a glance; so their might be more. I'll wait for the Sandy teardown if one such should happen).

My bias shows as I believe that all other competitors either in production or announced with specifications available are simply a feeble attempt at marketing hype. This includes the Lightning which I wish and hope will be better when launched, but I just don't see how a car with a huge mechanical button on it's beautiful, large LCD screen will have good, industry leading tech underneath it. Huge sigh. Rivian is so darn close, I hope they can find a niche, but that is all they will get is a tiny fraction and it looks like a great product, but lacks many specifications that are key. I'm very cautious to say it will compete.

Let's never forget that traditional OEM's have huge 'boat anchors' holding them back from even keeping up with Tesla's pace of innovation
  • Tesla has no appreciable/material marketing, in any country, while selling every car it makes (low # of days of inventory).
  • Tesla will effectively double it's manufacturing footprint next year
  • Tesla innovates at every level of form, fit and function as well as the creation and production of these innovations
  • Tesla attracts the best talent
  • Tesla has no ties to dealerships
  • Tesla has no ties to gas
  • Tesla soon, maybe currently, will take to production, it's own batteries from scratch (4680 Kato outputs)
  • Tesla has long term contracts for raw battery materials
To conclude, there have been 2 major events in the timeline of Tesla that have gone so underappreciated, or better to say, way over the heads of investors, that it is astounding.

• Tesla Autonomy day with custom inference and training chips
  • Tesla Battery day with structural batteries and so much more that it makes my head spin
and on the horizon will be Tesla AI day. Which I'd bet will also be very hard to understand for the investor community. How many know about GPT3? How many know about BERT? Inception v3? We have yet to see any fruits of the Dojo labor and hopefully are on the cusp of experiencing FSD beta with 3D labeled training data.

It speaks volumes that not only does Tesla make the most performance minded, fastest accelerating cars on the market, but they are also the safest ever made, most tech advanced, consistently getting industry revolutionizing software updates OTA and are the cheapest to maintain/operate making them a seemingly brain-dead value decision when considering 5 year TCO. This has never happened in modern times or ever. Any why would it? No car company has ever had a vision like Tesla.

Would you rather have a Model 3 or Honda Civic or name any other car? Oh and the Civic (other car) is more money over 5 years (TCO). Hmm, lets see. Objectively, Tesla is materially better in all the ways that matter to consumers and they can only find out if they 'search it up' on the intertubes or ask around. This will reign true for years to come. Thanks for reading!
Hmm I probably wouldn't attribute the hardware running cyberpunk to Tesla as it's a semi-custom AMD chip made available for other customers are well such as the Xbox Series X/PS5(although they are all a little bit different designed by AMD). AMD has a semi-custom department where they will design a SOC fully utilizing their ip tailoring to a specific need. Tesla most likely asked for an optimized chip that can power the lower resolution need of that screen(vs 4k the console requires) while drawing less power as the consequence.

Advertising is for products that don't offer superior value.

For Legacy Auto OEMs, advertising $ are ALSO for keeping franchise dealerships happy.

Whether through actual co-op partnerships, where advertising assets and publication/air-time costs are shared (commercials with a :05 empty tag for local dealership info, print ad templates, logo treatments, store banners, mailers, etc) , or just having a fun sizzle reel to get folks excited at the national sales convention, shared advertising expenditures are just another area of Legacy auto dealership bloat that Tesla has done well to avoid.

My experience is that the worse off a franchise business is doing, the more their corporate leadership leans on internally promoting fancy consumer advertising, to their own franchisees, as the bright light of change just around the corner.

"Yes, we know that costs are up and sales are down... and yes... our new products are going to reduce your recurring service revenue and overall warranty work, and require substantial additional investments in training and equipment.... BUT have you seen our new 'electrified' commercials featuring popular music tracks and diverse families doing outdoor activities? People are going to be knocking down your doors to buy these things, ((and they're not even really electric))! We couldn't have picked a better song!"

I wasn't able to double source any statistics, but something in the range of $7-8b annually is available to franchise dealerships to help get the word out locally.

If you ever wondered why there are so many bad local car dealership ads, know that typically they are only paying 50% of the air time costs (and having their logos and tag lines added for free by the TV station). Also, if they don't use the money, their co-op budget may be reduced moving forward.

These dealership advertising incentives disconnect helpful ROI feedback loops, and reward status-quo spending over spending efficiently (think US medical insurance programs). Thank goodness we don't have to worry about such things, but it's worth a thought whenever someone points to legacy automotive advertising practices as being either effective or inevitable.

TL:DR - Legacy Automotive's dealership franchises keep them tied to ineffective advertising practices. Don't be like Legacy Auto.

Elon Musk is selling his last house in California. It's in Hillsborough.

If any of you own > ~ 60,000 shares of TSLA, you could buy it for me as a nice Father's Day gift.

... the Lightning which I wish and hope will be better when launched, but I just don't see how a car with a huge mechanical button on it's beautiful, large LCD screen will have good, industry leading tech underneath it....

Your Tesla-Hating Uncle: Competition is coming to crush Tesla.
You: Like Ford Lightning?
YTHU: You better believe it! Ford has great engineering!
You: Like the huge mechanical button in the middle of their touchscreen?
YTHU: Well...
You: Is Apple planning that too?
YTHU: Well... Blackberry still makes phones.

Your Tesla-Hating Uncle: Competition is coming to crush Tesla.
You: Like Ford Lightning?
YTHU: You better believe it! Ford has great engineering!
You: Like the huge mechanical button in the middle of their touchscreen?
YTHU: Well...
You: Is Apple planning that too?
YTHU: Well... Blackberry still makes phones.
Complete with the 'death wobble'...

If any of you own > ~ 60,000 shares of TSLA, you could buy it for me as a nice Father's Day gift.

You don’t want that place .. too much lawn to take care of

The kitchen. wow. Please don't renovate/upgrade it. Love it just the way it is.

Ok. The YEARLY property taxes are more then the purchase price of my first FOUR properties combined.

Advertising is for products that don't offer superior value. Tesla's competition would love nothing more for Tesla to spend $1,000/car (the more the better) on advertising. Because they know it will help make their own cars a little more price competitive with Tesla's. And they know it will make Tesla look mortal, begging for customers, more like themselves. It will remove that "not the typical corporation" halo that Tesla enjoys, particularly with the younger generations who are skeptical of the status quo.

The best advertising is a having a great product at a great price and the testimony of an exponentially growing body of people who have already figured it out. People you know and trust, your niece or nephew, your co-worker or your pastor, not some professional paid to change your mind. Advertising can make more people think you have a great product but it makes the product even more unobtainable. And people love to talk smack about nice things they can't have. Tesla is about bringing the future to the people, not showing them wonderful things they can not have.
My experience is that the worse off a franchise business is doing, the more their corporate leadership leans on internally promoting fancy consumer advertising, to their own franchisees, as the bright light of change just around the corner.
I too have found that the more something is advertised, my suspicion is the crappier the product is. If I see a movie that is heavily promoted, I'm not planning on watching it.

At some point the vehicle will only be one pixel and even the best NN won´t be able to turn this into anything helpful..

It will still be able to determine in many cases whether the car is NOT a Tesla by virtue of Teslas only having 5 possible pixel values. Please don't think about that too hard.

47 acres in the middle of the valley does seem a bit much for a guy that sleeps under desks. If only my AMC short trade hadn't gone so poorly...

I now see Elon's Master plan:

1) Build the largest battery factory in Texas
2) Watch ERCOT self-destruct in your backyard.
3) ????
4) Profit

Actually 3) is sell a Tejas-sized amount of batteries.

Hope the Samsung Fab in Austin has good backup for outages going forward.
I believe most people did not listen or understood the battery day presentation. Shareholders and shorts definitely..the general buying public no not really.

I am not a volkswagen shareholder...if you were to ask me what kind of engine is in our SUV I have zero clue. If you ask me what Volkswagen's next version of our car will come with I have no clue. If you ask me where that engine or drive train will be build at again zero clue. And yet I can answer all of these questions about any Tesla. Try this experiment on yourself. You'll be surprised how little you know about your ICE car and how much you know about any Tesla(even if you don't own one).

This is true even for EV's for most people outside of TMC and those who follow EV's closely. That is where Advertising comes in - create a desire to own something based on some glamorous pics and snippets. Car industry has been very good at that.

Yesterday on NBA game I saw multiple Ads for VW ID4, Audi etron and Volvo. Made it seem they were the market leaders in EV's :) (blue skies, windmills, kids, wildlife ....)
So far Tesla has enjoyed word of mouth, but quite sure they have lost a few customers due to slick advertisements.
If people did their EV homework they would pick Tesla, but many don't.

Not sure where/when/how much $ Tesla should put into Advertisements and for which mediums .. but I think it is an option to look at further for Tesla in the future.
Right now they have likely calculated Ad cost does not justify customer gains...
Also EM is 1-Man Advertising crew ...

Another Texas transplant cutting the umbilical cord. :cool: Yee-Ha

You'll also need a large family with like 6+ kids ;)

• Funny
Reactions: ZeApelido
The destruction is imminent

If Tesla ever needs to advertise, they could borrow from one of the greatest headlines ever written:

"At 200 miles an hour the loudest noise in this new Tesla comes from the McLaren you are passing."

Elon point blank said Bitcoin showed the liquidity they were looking for; in that they sold 10% and the price never moved.
Completely agree. They bought $1.5B. Then decided liquidity was an unknown they had to test. They did the 10% test transaction which was passed. They decided, having passed the test, that they would not buy back the 10%. I think this is factual.