Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Austin is Tesla's version of a Field of Dreams (if you build it, they will come). More Tesla suppliers building in and around Austin:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2021/06/16/simwon-manufacturer-grabs-space-in-kyle.html

Many suppliers are expected to follow Tesla Inc. to Central Texas as the electric vehicle manufacturer gets closer to producing cars east of Austin, and this one seems to be on the larger side.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/...ornia-based-plastikon-plans-kyle-factory.html

This company making things such as steering wheels and consoles appears to be headed to the suburbs south of Austin. Manufacturing experts are talking about a "wave of Tesla suppliers" starting to arrive in the region, as construction continues on the electric vehicle company's $1.1 billion factory. This is the second notable Tesla-tied factory to surface this week.
It only makes sense. You have a customer building the largest factory in the world, going to be pumping out millions of product, and with plans to become the dominant entity in the world via massive growth for the foreseeable future. If you want to provide the best cost and service to said customer, you build next door to them. Like, duh.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/...ornia-based-plastikon-plans-kyle-factory.html

This company making things such as steering wheels and consoles appears to be headed to the suburbs south of Austin. Manufacturing experts are talking about a "wave of Tesla suppliers" starting to arrive in the region, as construction continues on the electric vehicle company's $1.1 billion factory. This is the second notable Tesla-tied factory to surface this week.

No! Not a steering wheel manufacturer!

Maybe they didn't get the memo...

/s

Said castings also probably require high volume vehicles to be profitable. S/X is after all low volume.
High production volume is required to justify investing in the casting machines but, once you have them, lower-volume castings can be made for the costs of the casting & trimming dies and the opportunity cost of diverting a casting machine from the high volume product.

Nothing wrong with monopolies, which is contrary to belief, it is non-compete or bad actor tactics and strategies that get companies into trouble.

The problem is that almost all monopolies either use the strategies you mentioned or else they stagnate and produce no innovation. Should Tesla actually become a monopoly, it will be unique in that it will do neither.

🎼In the desert, you can remember your name…

Really curious the talent they attract when the company is known for rolling a truck down a hill and the head of engineering being a construction worker. I am thinking there's a high chance the head of engineering might hire some people from outside of home depot in the early morning and put them on the back of the truck.

Really curious the talent they attract when the company is known for rolling a truck down a hill and the head of engineering being a construction worker. I am thinking there's a high chance the head of engineering might hire some people from outside of home depot in the early morning and put them on the back of the truck.
It's important to remember what is NOT happening. As in, no one is allowed in that could evaluate their actual status. Tesla has done this and continues to do this with the commercial investor community who get private walk-throughs.

For instance, they could be simply be building a better ramp to roll their prototype down. That is my hypothesis until they prove otherwise.

I'll be pointing to this when someone says, "I live in an apartment and therefore can't think about having an EV"

But to be fair, article does NOT mention the addition of chargers, but I can't see how they wouldn't install chargers along with the solar and batteries.

Reactions: JusRelax and JRP3
It's important to remember what is NOT happening. As in, no one is allowed in that could evaluate their actual status. Tesla has done this and continues to do this with the commercial investor community who get private walk-throughs.

For instance, they could be simply be building a better ramp to roll their prototype down. That is my hypothesis until they prove otherwise.

I heard they deployed some Cap Ex into buying the set for Ant Man. What could they possibly be up to?

Paywalled, turn off java script to read, but basically a fruit grower is buying some Cybertrucks.
Northern Fruit has reserved five of Tesla’s cybertrucks when production begins later this year at the new Tesla Gigafactory in Austin, Texas. The vehicles are expected to arrive in 2022. Pauly said one electric semi-truck also is on order, from the same factory, and he anticipates adding more electric vehicles to the fleet.

“We have vehicles every day in use with our company — passenger vehicles, pickup trucks, passenger vans, semi trucks, four-wheelers and forklifts,” he said. “The only one so far to make a transition to EVs is forklifts. Everything else is pretty much like it was when the company was founded in 1928. We have a steering wheel, a gas pedal and a driver behind it to operate the vehicle. I believe that’s about to change.”