Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that these sales were discussed in great detail here several days ago, but isn’t it interesting that this negative CNBC headline came out AFTER 8pm Friday (after hours trading had closed). Definitely some big funds wanted the SP back up for triple witching close, after the big drop Tuesday/Wednesday. Here’s an example of the writing slant, just so you don’t need to read the whole thing:
The departure of Guillen, one of Tesla’s top four leaders, including CEO Elon Musk, has sparked market concerns about Tesla’s future vehicle programs like the Semi electric trucks and new batteries called 4680 cells.
Strange how it almost sounds like Elon has departed.
Ex-Tesla president sold stocks worth $247 million since June 10

Yes, imagine a Plaid or even a Ludicrous 2; that would be a fun car.

At launch they could drop Model S plaid 0-60 to 1.8; they could have a Model 3 plaid do 0-60 in 2.5, and a Model 2 plaid do it in 2.9.

Would be a very high demand, high margin product.

I mean no matter what we say, Tesla does what Tesla does - but IMHO Plaid should be reserved to top-spec 3 motor torque verctoring cars.

< 2,5 = Plaid - should be physical max acceleration for the car, maybe CT is slower
> 2,5 < 2,5 = Ludicrous - should be above performance and maybe a software update to performance
> 2,5 < 4 = Performance Model base spec

This would mean you can only buy Standard, Performance, Plaid - and Performance has a s/w OTA upgrade to Lucicrous.

Thanks for your string of comments, much better than the reflexive “NO” to my original question. I don’t have any cognitive dissonance holding your comments in my head while also noting the history of massive Chinese IP theft and the hope maybe expectation it is abating. What other countries do is irrelevant to that history and hope, and its potential impact on Tesla which has so bravely pushed the frontier of direct investment. It is not jingoistic to have some concern about it, and the subject is far from irrelevant to the thread in my view.
Cognitive dissonance is the highest risk. Personally I know I hold quite a few opinions that are apparently mutually exclusive.
That's one reason I revere Tesla's ability to navigate 'risky shoals'.
IP theft is common in almost all major governments. After all that is how nuclear bombs were acquired by the US, Soviet Union and a few other countries.
There is a long, long list. As for abating, probably not. The US, China and many others are doing all they can. Nobody will abate their industrial espionage.
Hopefully we'll have a slightly less jingoistic approach that has been used during the recent past. I cannot help but be slightly optimistic when the Boeing/Airbus strange battle seems to have been 'resolved'. Now we might even make progress on 5G.

I know that these sales were discussed in great detail here several days ago, but isn’t it interesting that this negative CNBC headline came out AFTER 8pm Friday (after hours trading had closed). Definitely some big funds wanted the SP back up for triple witching close, after the big drop Tuesday/Wednesday. Here’s an example of the writing slant, just so you don’t need to read the whole thing:

Strange how it almost sounds like Elon has departed.
Ex-Tesla president sold stocks worth $247 million since June 10
I see that "style" of writing all the time. I wonder how the author feels. How does one write that stuff all the time...knowing the subject well enough to know how to slant the story....how do they sleep at night.

It's one thing to have an opinion...but quite another to habitually push a negative narrative.

When they are old and sitting alone maybe they will have some remorse.

Probably not.

Just proceeded with the Norbert’s Gambit yesterday, it was easier than expected with the rep at my online brockerage who knew it was DLR I wanted to adjourn to my USD margin account without me even telling him to. Seems to be frequent to them for Canadian investors who buy US stocks. Thanks for everyone who explained to me how to save an easy $1500 every time I want to cover some margin! Took a 2 min phone call to save $1500, that’s time efficient.

You're welcome. ;)

Norbert's Gambit

I mean no matter what we say, Tesla does what Tesla does - but IMHO Plaid should be reserved to top-spec 3 motor torque verctoring cars.

< 2,5 = Plaid - should be physical max acceleration for the car, maybe CT is slower
> 2,5 < 2,5 = Ludicrous - should be above performance and maybe a software update to performance
> 2,5 < 4 = Performance Model base spec

This would mean you can only buy Standard, Performance, Plaid - and Performance has a s/w OTA upgrade to Lucicrous.
I had hoped they would have called the refreshed S&X Palladium with the addition of a Plaid mode like Ludicrous. What comes after Plaid? Plaid+? Always thought they could do better than "+". :) Maybe consult with Mel Brooks.

Reactions: SpaceCash
I wonder if they are installing a drainage system.

For the first time I've ever seen, all car carrier semi's were loading on the East edge of the concrete area, and none on the Factory side. Further, there are now massive earth moving activities going on (see WuWa's video from earlier today) to the NE of the Phase 1 North building project. Site prep there?

I suspect those two backhoes seen trenching the logistics area concrete slab might be making preparations for new footings, in advance of building construction. Tesla continues to localize production, and bring more components* in-house.

Cheers!

P.S. Personally, I hope it's a 'chip Fab plant... :D

IP theft is common in almost all major governments. After all that is how nuclear bombs were acquired by the US, Soviet Union and a few other countries.
There is a long, long list. As for abating, probably not. The US, China and many others are doing all they can. Nobody will abate their industrial espionage.
Hopefully we'll have a slightly less jingoistic approach that has been used during the recent past. I cannot help but be slightly optimistic when the Boeing/Airbus strange battle seems to have been 'resolved'. Now we might even make progress on 5G.

This is ultimately why Elon's strategy of "innovate faster" and vertical integration (thus owning the value add and knowledge base) is the correct strategy.

OEMs who expect to outsource everything and throw their badge on for a fee and survive are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Not a problem for Tesla car owners. But a bigger concern for hybrids than pure ICE.

Chicago Tribune - yesterday: Catalytic converter thefts on the rise in Chicago’s suburbs

Excerpt:

In Park Ridge, police are seeing many hybrid vehicles targeted, Gadomski said.
“Because the catalytic converters don’t work as hard, the precious metals inside are in better shape and worth more money,” he said.

MotorTrend published more performance numbers from their S Plaid testing. Included are numbers comparing with other top mass production cars they've tested.

View attachment 675153

Wow. The Tesla absolutely crushes all those cars

While I'm here and it's the weekend, I came across this video of a one-stall hydrogen filling station. How will they ever supply enough hydrogen if those cars become successful and there are lots on the road?

Someone posted something about Canoo yesterday.

I tried to watch their presentation from 2 days ago and stopped when I heard they will used a contract manufacturer, VDL Nedcar in Europe while they build their factory in Pryor Oklahoma

I wonder where they’ll get the batteries though. And the charging infrastructure.

Same places everyone else does. The battery cell manufactures. LG, CATL, SKI, Panasonic, Samsung SDI.....

Canoo will use the same charging infrastructure everyone but Tesla uses. The CCS infrastructure. And it is more than just Electrify America. There are over a dozen CCS charging networks in North America. And if they sell in Europe they will use the European CCS network. Which is more than just Ionity.