Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steam reformation. Uses natural gas and releases ~10 tons of CO2 for every ton of hydrogen produced.

But don’t worry, they’ll sequester it.
Or could use electricity to generate the hydrogen. True, efficiency sucks in the hydrolysis process, but let's assume it was the same. After all, would average people know this? In that scenario, the argument of where the electricity comes from is equivalent for both electric and hydrogen. Leaving out key points, public might believe it. Furthermore, it produces Oxygen to create a whole new market for seniors or even SpaceX!

Don't worry, I saw the size of the building for just one filling station (along with the explosion video in the past). But do you think they would spin it as clean with faster fillups (assuming no lines) by hiding the true sources of 90% natural gas and maybe 10% electricity? Like clean coal, or Exxon's "research" in sustainable energy.

Just trying to figure out why anyone would invest there. How would this slow down Tesla? I don't even see the political gain, oh wait...

hmm, whoever does the trade in estimates at Tesla is apparently not a big fan of my wrap judging by their offer. Anyone wanna buy a pristine inside and out Tesla P100D for anything approaching fair market value?
61114960_1313461448785543_3881687009994997760_o.jpg

Not sure I follow why.
I do see Hydrogen sustaining the combustion engine with pistons and the sump oil, but not many Fossils Fuels. And we already know who has the skills and resources to make ICE relevant again.
One way or making Hydrogen is with Fossil Fuels,.

They call that Brown Hydrogen or Blue Hydrogen, Green Hydrogen is splitting water with Renewable Electricity.

For (from memory) Blue Hydrogen there is an attempt at often government funded carbon capture and storage.

Green Hydrogen is currently more expensive that will change.
While Hydrogen is a bad idea for land based transport, it is good for allowing a renewable energy overbuild to lower electricity prices, making ammonia and fertilisers, seasonal energy storage and energy export.

I would like to see Green Hydrogen work at grid level, it solves a lot of problems.

IMO it's better to sell far out put spreads for leverage instead of margin to avoid interest

Ex: The June 2023 400/450 spread collects 85% of the max risk in premium (max risk = the maintenance requirement, which should be kept well under 50% of your account value). So you can effectively have up to 85% margin at zero interest for two years, and if TSLA is above 450 at that time, you also will have collected an additional 85% return on your "margin" since you keep the premium

Thanks for this. I wish someone would explain it a little more for us options newbies.

TSLA puts for June 16, 2023 last sold for $95 ($450 strike) and $72 ($400 strike).
So for each bull spread I sell, I earn (95 - 72) x 100 shares = $2300

So if I wanna finance 100 shares of TSLA at $600 each, I need to sell $60,000 / $2300 = 26 spreads
And the margin tied up = ($50 x 100 x 26) - BP
where BP = buying power my broker gives on 100 shares (and the options?)

That’s $130,000 - BP, which seems like much more margin tied up than...
$60,000 - BP from shares if I bought the shares without the spreads.
So a margin call will come sooner if the share price drops.

Also, this assumes no taxes on the premium cash.
In a taxable account in California, I would reserve half the cash for taxes,
so I would need to sell twice as many spreads,
and the margin tied up = $260,000 - BP for only 100 shares.

Am I missing something?

Edit: Or is the margin tied up by a 400/450 spread even more than $5000, because I might get assigned if the share price dips below 450?

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I wish someone would explain it a little more for us options newbies.

TSLA puts for June 16, 2023 last sold for $95 ($450 strike) and $72 ($400 strike).
So for each bull spread I sell, I earn (95 - 72) x 100 shares = $2300

So if I wanna finance 100 shares of TSLA at $600 each, I need to sell $60,000 / $2300 = 26 spreads
And the margin tied up = ($50 x 100 x 26) - BP
where BP = buying power my broker gives on 100 shares (and the options?)

That’s $130,000 - BP, which seems like much more margin tied up than...
$60,000 - BP from shares if I bought the shares without the spreads.
So a margin call will come sooner if the share price drops.

Also, this assumes no taxes on the premium cash.
In a taxable account in California, I would reserve half the cash for taxes,
so I would need to sell twice as many spreads,
and the margin tied up = $260,000 - BP for only 100 shares.

Am I missing something?

You’re missing the options threads... suggest you seek answers here:

hmm, whoever does the trade in estimates at Tesla is apparently not a big fan of my wrap judging by their offer. Anyone wanna buy a pristine inside and out Tesla P100D for anything approaching fair market value?
View attachment 675406
Oh my!😲............................................................................Why do I have the urge to go listen to "When Doves Cry" by Prince.

Jason Yang's latest video shows Tesla ripping up the staging area at GF3. Potentially additional buildings going up - but if that's the case then the staging area will start to get quite small.

View attachment 675148

Maybe Tesla got a good deal on a bunch of solar panels and they are going to create a solar roof for the parking area?

Reactions: printf42
Not sure I follow why.
I do see Hydrogen sustaining the combustion engine with pistons and the sump oil, but not many Fossils Fuels. And we already know who has the skills and resources to make ICE relevant again.
Because consumers will still have to depend on fueling stations. You can't generate hydrogen at home like you can electricity. It's their last attempt to keep us in an ecosystem run by them.

View attachment 675406
You aren't by chance a George R R Martin fan are you?

7FBFAC66-5010-47F8-AEA6-FCC6BFEDC090.jpeg

Just got an updated MVOA for my Plaid which I reserved way back in September '20. Interesting that it shows as a new order placed today. Shows the pre-increase $119,990 but no love with the FSD -showing $10K instead of the $8K when I reserved. Hopefully they'll make good on the prior price.

View attachment 675360
I believe Tesla is making a big error by adding the $1,000 order fee to the cost of the vehicle. Two days ago when I placed my order the order fee was $100 which I assumed must be a fee for ordering online which I thought was unusual. Today I received an e-mail changing the order fee to $1,000 so I replied asking why? I got an automatic reply stating you have reached an unmonitored e-mail address. Finally, I reached a live person who stated the order fee was actually my original $1,000 deposit for the Plaid+ and the e-mail was a correction. Furthermore, the $1,000 is deducted from the final payment due. However, after further thought, I realized that by adding the $1,000 to the cost and then deducting the $1,000 deposit from the payment due the net result is the loss of my $1,000 deposit. I could not reach my contact for an explanation and correction.

So if they are doing around 500,000 cars a year, that would be a car every minute. And a car carrier every eight minutes. Wow.

Once FSD is capable enough they will just stream out of the gates, each one with a programmed destination, either a delivery center or maybe directly to the buyers home.

Have you noticed if the number of Model S sitting around the factory and storage lot have increased or decreased since deliveries started. I'm curious to know if there's a likelihood of a revenue bump this quarter from S deliveries. Elon said at the delivery event they're only making a couple of hundred a week at the moment, but if the few thousand already made can be delivered this quarter it would add a nice chunk of change to the quarterly results.

From my rough eyeballing it doesn't look like the number stored has diminished much so far.

1624173670877.png

Because consumers will still have to depend on fueling stations. You can't generate hydrogen at home like you can electricity. It's their last attempt to keep us in an ecosystem run by them.
(Grossly OT, except to say hydrogen is not a competition to battery powered cars even when hydrogen can be produced using home solar)

Well, there is at least one consumer, Bob, that uses New Mexico solar power to break water into hydrogen and oxygen and captures a tank of hydrogen stored as lithium-6 hydroid over 8 hours. It takes 4 tanks to take his prototype Corvette close to 400 miles. More detail in the YouTube video description. Bob Lazar did say storing hydrogen inside the car is dangerous and his car is just an experiment, and explained why he does not see widespread use of lithium 6.

The channel has many other interesting videos on vehicular use of hydrogen.

Last edited: