Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really OT But it is Sunday morning
We've all seen the paint scheme of the Unplugged Model S Plaid. And it is clear that "THAT IS A PLAID."
but the soft curves really subtract from the angles in a plaid pattern.
If only someone found a vehicle that is going to be produced by Tesla that had really sharp edges and laid a plaid pattern on it...now that would mess with your mind.
Do two schemes. the first a "non-thinking" draping of a plaid pattern.
And then one that could be off the hook. An extreme plaid scheme that would scream in a meme, with the angles and edges of the vehicle to give a sharp pattern, or an optical illusion.

If you think you recognize the name Bob Lazar (the car owner in that vid), he’s the reason we “know” about Area 51.

Jeremy Corbell did a pretty good doc on him that’s available to rent on YT (I find Jeremy rather insufferable, so no link). Corbell is at the center of this recent UAP disclosure movement, and with the DoD report to Congress due next week, it’s timely, if not especially Tesla-relevant.

I’m sure most of y’all here have been at least loosely following that, but if not, there’s your Father‘s Day rabbit hole. Please don’t respond here, though.

The aliens are here, and the specs on their vehicles blow Plaid away. We need that “cube-within-a-sphere” drive unit for the Roadster. 👽🛸
Luckily there's no way people will think it's some kind of conspiracy when Bob is blown to smithereens by his hydrogen car. /s

From a seat in the bleachers. Probably too many people placed an order for the plaid with no real thought of how they were going to purchase it because it was "just a hunred dollahs."
Tesla is trying to eliminate that noise by upping it to $1000 "fee." As a fee is not refundable.
My point is that I placed a $1,000 deposit for a Plaid+ last September and my final order had a $100 order fee. Then I receive an e-mail with a $1,000 order fee which my rep said is actually my deposit. If the $1,000 is actually a non-refundable order fee I will be extremely upset.

Really OT But it is Sunday morning
We've all seen the paint scheme of the Unplugged Model S Plaid. And it is clear that "THAT IS A PLAID."
but the soft curves really subtract from the angles in a plaid pattern.
If only someone found a vehicle that is going to be produced by Tesla that had really sharp edges and laid a plaid pattern on it...now that would mess with your mind.
Do two schemes. the first a "non-thinking" draping of a plaid pattern.
And then one that could be off the hook. An extreme plaid scheme that would scream in a meme, with the angles and edges of the vehicle to give a sharp pattern, or an optical illusion.
You better don't wrap it in such a way.. could seriously distract lidar & other weak vision-systems..

I mean ... Tesla has lots of interesting training data. But someone has to think of waymo, mobileye and the others!!1!

VERY fun OT observation for today:

Not only is it Father’s Day (yay!) but solstice (the SUMMER one, for those of us on the right-side-up side of the world) as well.

Aannndddd.…not only does the sun stand still atop the Tropic of Cancer at 7:32pm AK Time, BUT…😀…this year that alignment occurs almost precisely at Longitude W145.30.

Which is, as most assuredly all of you already know, just happens to be where Paxson also is🎯

HA!

Watched this today:

That's what sparked me to start the conversation about Nina Khan, but everyone ought to watch the CA wildfire season sub-section in this video. I'm so so glad to have gone all-in on Tesla back in 2012 and recapitulated over the years.
You're a legend m8. Going all in back in '12! I went 50% in '17 and now my portfolio looks like I went all in 😅

Reactions: kbM3 and FireMedic
My point is that I placed a $1,000 deposit for a Plaid+ last September and my final order had a $100 order fee. Then I receive an e-mail with a $1,000 order fee which my rep said is actually my deposit. If the $1,000 is actually a non-refundable order fee I will be extremely upset.
If your contract had a $100 order fee and $1000 deposit, I’d bet dollars to donuts you aren’t suddenly going to be paying an extra $900 dollars on total purchase price. Just some ordering system updates that will get sorted before your purchase finalizes. A rep will sort it out. Funny thing with contracts, one side can’t just suddenly decide to change terms on you.

Plaid+ holders aside who have all been given (or will be given) concessions on converting their order to a plaid (or will be refunded) for Tesla not having fulfilled their end of the contract.

Or members of TMC can make it out that Tesla is performing some illegal and or unethical pricing maneuvers to existing order holders. We can all contribute to letting media FUD run with that, too. /s

Jason Yang's latest video shows Tesla ripping up the staging area at GF3. Potentially additional buildings going up - but if that's the case then the staging area will start to get quite small.

View attachment 675148
Fill-in buildings are close to complete, so could be..
They still have some space near the power-substation, but yeah - the staging is pretty much all that is left of current plot. Unclear whether the land filled with worker housing close to the largest close-to-finished fill-in building is just temporary, or if they can either build or use that for staging in the future.
More importantly: There was some discussion about a large piece of land across the river, but a bit confusing as to wether Tesla has aquired this lease or not. Any new info?

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
hmm, whoever does the trade in estimates at Tesla is apparently not a big fan of my wrap judging by their offer. Anyone wanna buy a pristine inside and out Tesla P100D for anything approaching fair market value?
View attachment 675406

i know this is WAYYY off topic, so no hard feelings, mods, if it gets deleted. But just to follow up:

CarMax actually appraised and offered me $15,000 more than Tesla's trade-in offer. I wouldn't bring it up, except that the difference was so huge, and i know a bunch of us are in the middle of the same process. Glad i went for a second opinion!

Last edited:
i know this is WAYYY off topic, so no hard feelings, mods, if it gets deleted. But just to follow up:

CarMax actually appraised and offered me $15,000 more than Tesla's trade-in offer. I wouldn't bring it up, except that the difference was so huge, and i know a bunch of us are in the middle of the same process. Glad i went for a second opinion!
A friend of mine might be getting a tesla. I was looking on their CPO site and was amazed at the prices of the CPO cars. They are as much as a new one. There also were not many cars available either.

A friend of mine might be getting a tesla. I was looking on their CPO site and was amazed at the prices of the CPO cars. They are as much as a new one. There also were not many cars available either.
Don't look at the entire used car market then. It's an absolute disaster. Right now, assuming you can find any car, you better be buying it new because used ones literally cost the same right now.

Funny thing with contracts, one side can’t just suddenly decide to change terms on you.

Last I heard there's some tesla solar roof orderers who might disagree with you on this

48 page (so far) thread on that here-

My thoughts too. Although I don’t know how they will make the products to include sufficient fire retardants and how that combination will create a healthy environment for occupants (admittedly the use of some additives/glues in wood products quit being healthy long ago - as well as drywall- which uses a large amount of coal fly ash in its manufacturing process.......and much of it comes from China - so we get to use their coal plant byproducts while the world breathes their exhaust - and ours, and Germany’s, and Australia’s, etc).

i was sincerely excited about the yuuuge potential for natural ‘concrete’ construction block byproducts from Boring Company remnants - if done properly it will be just another significant environmental improvement providing healthier living conditions as ‘one more thing’ from Tesla, and I am hopeful it can scale quickly
I have looked extensively at pressed block building material. However, sad to say that I don't see the potential that I had hoped to find. In the green building trade they are called Compressed Earth Blocks or CEB. Lots of good about them but the soil mixture that works with the machinery you can buy is very specific. In particular the products have extremely low embodied energy vs something concrete. Labor though is huge.

Vermeer, specialty equipment manufacturer that is famous for stump grinders, mulch grinders, etc bought the rights to one and builds and sells them but mostly for an overseas aid effort that they support. Frankly I had no money at the time, having been crushed by 2008 and then leaving consulting to go back to forestry and recovering to find Donald fing I'm an idiot trump destroying the forest industry and had no money to play with processes around it. There are some cool people trying to do CEB at scale and it would be a natural complement to our sustainable forest products push. Sustainable forestry is honestly...hard work and low wages. Fulfilling though. Sorry for the off topic. I too hope Elon's scale and energy might figure out a way around the labor and physical soil property limitations that warned me off.