Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"clear eyes, objectivity and insight"

oh brother :rolleyes:
Tangent - seems appropriate for GF Austin and Friday Night Lights fans:

1625348321393.png

Last edited:
This being an investment forum, I think a warning is appropriate for those that intend to buy TSLA shares in 2010-2012 (not a typo)

Will Audi put Tesla out of business?

My favorite example of Audi's threat to Tesla is a video like the following, which I saw years ago. The punchline was Audi executives boasting that their development of a sound for their Etron (an early version that was cancelled) took them three years.

I knew then that catching up to Tesla's rate of innovation would not be easy for Audi and probably other "vintage" automakers. Smarter people move faster.

There hasn’t been a single successful US or European based car company start up in over 70 years. There is no reason to think Tesla will break that pattern. These captain of the universe types have no concept of exactly what is required to design, build, market and support production volumes of automobiles.

Makes me more bullish!

Makes me more bullish!
Yeah I would say Niedermeyer was right. Musk didn't know all it took to get a full size car manufacturer operational. A wisecrack might even be - that's why he tried. Though looking at Musk taking over running Tesla WHILE he was getting his space company up and running might tell you a thing or two about his stamina and the size of his balls at the time...

A fruit fly has only order of 10^5 total neurons with order 10^7 connections yet they have solved the "full self flying" problem including navigation, obstacle avoidance, refueling, managing air currents, predation escape, mating and more.

FSD isn't a traditional "software problem" - we don't generally understand how neural nets solve the problem nor do we necessarily need to understand how. It may be that we need further advancements in network topologies/functions and learning methods before we can more closely approach the capabilities of biological neural networks. Techniques have been rapidly advancing in these areas so we will likely get there in some multiple of two weeks.
King of tech gets his ass kicked by any fruit fly on full self flying

I got to thinking today, while pondering my enthusiasm about the CT all wheel steering (AWS: not the AMZN kind).

Humor me;
Elon recently Twatted about ‘steer by wire’…how awesome would it be to have steer by wire in an AWS CT.

I’ve heard complaints about Teslas inferior (u) turning radius. I love the steering of my wife’s 3P, but if steering was adjustable; could we retain that steering performance at med/high speeds without sacrificing low speed turning radius.

I’m sure that people smarter than I, have put thoughts into this. Curious what your conclusions are.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I got to thinking today, while pondering my enthusiasm about the CT all wheel steering (AWS: not the AMZN kind).

Humor me;
Elon recently Twatted about ‘steer by wire’…how awesome would it be to have steer by wire in an AWS CT.

I’ve heard complaints about Teslas inferior (u) turning radius. I love the steering of my wife’s 3P, but if steering was adjustable; could we retain that steering performance at med/high speeds without sacrificing low speed turning radius.

I’m sure that people smarter than I, have put thoughts into this. Curious what your conclusions are.
Better steering might make it more likely in Europe (I suspect there are still other problems)

The main thing I remember Niedermeyer for is his griping about the non-automotive-spec screen which did end up being an issue. That's the problem with some of these Tesla skeptics is they aren't always wrong on the details, but their big picture view is nevertheless disturbed. For the most part I think if people tried equally as hard to find problems at Ford or GM as they do with Tesla they would easily see that the stack of criticisms for any company can be pretty high. Some of the MSM coverage I think is this way because Tesla has reporters assigned that ONLY cover Tesla so they have no idea really what the context is when a supposed problem drops into their lap. When your job is focusing on Tesla and focusing on problems it seems inevitable you internalize it. Neidermeyer's obvious monetary niche was being a skeptic and so he internalized it deeper and deeper as time went on. Polarization has always been an issue with humans but social media seems to be making it worse. Attempting nuance that straddles across given silos of dogma tends to get you shouted at by both sides so people don't do it. The only thing that keeps me neutral is a contrarian personality and the knowledge that my incentive is to get the long-term financial prediction right for Tesla which doesn't care about making friends or selling myself to anyone.

Last edited:
Youtube is not only a great media for promoting Tesla, it is also a great media for raising awareness of issues with legacy OEM cars.
Latest is this video about a Ford Mach-E.

Too long; didn't watch:
- Mach-E looks great and sexy. Interior is excellent too. Software is where all the issue lie.
- Ford only provided one key fob but they needed two because the phone-as-your-key software works only 50% of the time
- Experienced locked out in the pouring rain with a baby in one arm and the other hand holding groceries and phone key not working.
- Infotainment software issue with Netflix
- Charge door randomly opens by itself all the time, then the car will refuse to drive until it is closed
- Ford confirmed service appointment and also sent a reminder on the day prior
- Dealer / service knows nothing about the appointment made by Ford nor about any issue reported for that car
- Service dept does not know how to fix those issues because each time they tried, the Mach-E would brick itself in their service bay
- Service asked them to come back in 3 days when someone from Ford would come
- They left the Mach-E there, and drove home together in their Tesla because the dealer did not offer a loaner, nor any apology for all the inconvenience they caused.
- They were looking forward to get the F150 EV, but are having second thoughts of having 2 Fords.

EV & Chill:
Gary Black:

The main thing I remember Niedermeyer for is his griping about the non-automotive-spec screen which did end up being an issue.
His irrational attacks on all things Tesla started long before that.

Finally, it is worth noting that the blogger who fabricated this issue, which then caused negative and incorrect news to be written about Tesla by reputable institutions, is Edward Niedermeyer. This is the same gentle soul who previously wrote a blog titled “Tesla Death Watch,” which starting on May 19, 2008 was counting the days until Tesla’s death. It has now been 2,944 days. We just checked our pulse and, much to his chagrin, appear to be alive. It is probably wise to take Mr. Niedermeyer’s words with at least a small grain of salt.

We don’t know if Mr. Niedermeyer’s motivation is simply to set a world record for axe-grinding or whether he or his associates have something financial to gain by negatively affecting Tesla’s stock price, but it is important to highlight that there are several billion dollars in short sale bets against Tesla. This means that there is a strong financial incentive to greatly amplify minor issues and to create false issues from whole cloth.

His irrational attacks on all things Tesla started long before that.

Yeah I think he was involved in the original 'death watch' group right? That was before my time. I know he goes way back. I don't pay any attention to him.

edit: Wow you have been here since 2007! Hats off sir. I was 100% in NFLX back then, started moving into TSLA in 2015 and accelerated slowly until now I'm at 120% (and NFLX ~25% and AMC short at 4%). Yes I love margin. I caught the disease.

Last edited:
Youtube is not only a great media for promoting Tesla, it is also a great media for raising awareness of issues with legacy OEM cars.
Latest is this video about a Ford Mach-E.

Too long; didn't watch:
- Mach-E looks great and sexy. Interior is excellent too. Software is where all the issue lie.
- Ford only provided one key fob but they needed two because the phone-as-your-key software works only 50% of the time
- Experienced locked out in the pouring rain with a baby in one arm and the other hand holding groceries and phone key not working.
- Infotainment software issue with Netflix
- Charge door randomly opens by itself all the time, then the car will refuse to drive until it is closed
- Ford confirmed service appointment and also sent a reminder on the day prior
- Dealer / service knows nothing about the appointment made by Ford nor about any issue reported for that car
- Service dept does not know how to fix those issues because each time they tried, the Mach-E would brick itself in their service bay
- Service asked them to come back in 3 days when someone from Ford would come
- They left the Mach-E there, and drove home together in their Tesla because the dealer did not offer a loaner, nor any apology for all the inconvenience they caused.
- They were looking forward to get the F150 EV, but are having second thoughts of having 2 Fords.

EV & Chill:
Gary Black:
Couldn't fix it, or did want to fix it?

I've worked with techs my whole life; some keep tricks to themselves and and would be quite threatened should their skills loose value in the future. Sabattage happens during transitions. Just saying, the potential exists.