Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been in line close to 2 hrs at Yuma supercharger. West 50 mi has a huge line, East 50 mi has the maintenance wrench icon and line. Person in line now debating a second Tesla if is is how it's going to be." Many others said this never has happened to them. Good news, a few handing out water to help. It's 118 deg now and everyone running out of battery here. Status of this charger was inaccurate and didnt help stating 2 stalls avail. Tesla service please?
Jeez - just go to an Electrify America stall already...

Been in line close to 2 hrs at Yuma supercharger. West 50 mi has a huge line, East 50 mi has the maintenance wrench icon and line. Person in line now debating a second Tesla if is is how it's going to be." Many others said this never has happened to them. Good news, a few handing out water to help. It's 118 deg now and everyone running out of battery here. Status of this charger was inaccurate and didnt help stating 2 stalls avail. Tesla service please?
It’s all about planning, we were on the road from San Francisco to Los Angles past Saturday, navigation suggested stop at Harris Ranch, instead we stopped at Firebaugh for lunch with 50% charge, and Santa Clarita before dinner with 10% charge. No line at all, both were 250kw max, and it was July 4th weekend.

Lines were usually only seen on a few weekends over the year on only a few popular stops on major highways, those can be planned to be avoided.

Tesla were expanding SuperCharger V3 significantly over the past few years, what you need to learn is to try newer massive ones and avoid your old familiar ones.

For Yuma I agree it’s tricky, but I believe more traffic in that direction would take HW10, which would have Quartzsite with 36x stall of V3, that should help a lot.

Last edited:
It’s all about planning, we were on the road from San Francisco to Los Angles past Saturday, navigation suggested stop at Harris Ranch, instead we stopped at Firebaugh for lunch with 50% charge, and Santa Clarita before dinner with 10% charge. No line at all, both were 250kwh max, and it was July 4th weekend.

Lines were usually only seen on a few weekends over the year on only a few popular stops on major highways, those can be planned to be avoided.

Tesla were expanding SuperCharger V3 significantly over the past few years, what you need to learn is to try newer massive ones and avoid your old familiar ones.

For Yuma I agree it’s tricky, but I believe more traffic in that direction would take HW10, which would have Quartzsite with 36x stall of V3, that should help a lot.
Outside of California, supercharger locations are still sparse enough that you usually don't have the luxury of choice. I've done multiple cross country trips. It is improving, but a single location outage is still a big deal in most states.

Clearly, brother can't admit when his younger brother is right. Keep being awesome @Lycanthrope
Confirmation from brother that it was unavailability of the MY and price that led to the decision - TBH, I was shocked you can't even order a Model Y in the UK yet, so probably going to be at least a year before they arrive there. As for "price", difficult to make direct comparisons, but if we assume the MY will be £5k more than the M3 then it looks to be 10-20% more expensive than the VW

They've also had a Golf and a couple of Leons in the household over the years, and like the VW brand, plus preferred the design and ergonomics of the ID4 over all the other EV's they looked - Tesla just wasn't in the frame as they don't have the form-factor they need, they don't road-trip, will be mostly local use, so charing isn't a huge consideration

Easy for us to say "wait for the MY", but I can understand his decision and as said, just happy he's moving to an EV

Confirmation from brother that it was unavailability of the MY and price that led to the decision - TBH, I was shocked you can't even order a Model Y in the UK yet, so probably going to be at least a year before they arrive there. As for "price", difficult to make direct comparisons, but if we assume the MY will be £5k more than the M3 then it looks to be 10-20% more expensive than the VW

They've also had a Golf and a couple of Leons in the household over the years, and like the VW brand, plus preferred the design and ergonomics of the ID4 over all the other EV's they looked - Tesla just wasn't in the frame as they don't have the form-factor they need, they don't road-trip, will be mostly local use, so charing isn't a huge consideration

Easy for us to say "wait for the MY", but I can understand his decision and as said, just happy he's moving to an EV
I'm waiting for the Y to be available in the UK. I'd only really use a car for road trips out of London and the 3 is no use you cart around my dog. For now I'm just renting a car as and when needed.

I was thinking of getting an S or X, but that seems like too much cash for the odd road trip and the size is rather giant for London. New ones wont be available in the UK for at least a year either. If the Y takes too long I might just bite the bullet and get a second hand S or X anyway.

Thanks for watching!

Yep, I've been surprised just how resistant the motorcycle community is to electric bikes. I plan to do many more videos about the electric future of transportation, including motorcycles, in an attempt to broaden some people's horizons.

Because let's face it, motorcycle riders who begin thinking about electric bikes will also begin considering electric cars as well, which helps Tesla's mission.
Electric motorbikes

I'm waiting for the Y to be available in the UK. I'd only really use a car for road trips out of London and the 3 is no use you cart around my dog. For now I'm just renting a car as and when needed.

I was thinking of getting an S or X, but that seems like too much cash for the odd road trip and the size is rather giant for London. New ones wont be available in the UK for at least a year either. If the Y takes too long I might just bite the bullet and get a second hand S or X anyway
Model 3 is ok with dog hammock in back seat. I have a German Shephard/ retriever cross and a golden lab that sit back there happily together.

I was thinking of getting an S or X, but that seems like too much cash for the odd road trip and the size is rather giant for London. New ones wont be available in the UK for at least a year either. If the Y takes too long I might just bite the bullet and get a second hand S or X anyway.

S owner here (from 2015) also holding out to order a Y when its available and 'trade-down' to get the smaller form factor and newer AP (although I did the MCU upgrade to keep mine feeling fresh).
I know a lot of people interested in a Tesla who cannot afford a 3 or Y, but I also suspect a lot of people are waiting for the Y because they want a hatchback. Almost every car I see day-to-day here is a hatchback. UK demand for Y will be huge.

Regarding practicality of an S...yes its too wide, but you *do* get used to it. I live down narrow lanes so its annoying, but its a phenomenal car.

Electric motorbikes
Electric motorbikes are brilliant. I have a Tesla model 3 and a super soco TC max. The tc max costs about 0.5 per mile and is great for battering about locally. Thinking about upgrading to a zero or an energica. The energica now has a big (>20kw/h) battery and dc charging so should be very usable on highway. My absolute favourite mode of E transport is however my trek power fly 5 !

S owner here (from 2015) also holding out to order a Y when its available and 'trade-down' to get the smaller form factor and newer AP (although I did the MCU upgrade to keep mine feeling fresh).
I know a lot of people interested in a Tesla who cannot afford a 3 or Y, but I also suspect a lot of people are waiting for the Y because they want a hatchback. Almost every car I see day-to-day here is a hatchback. UK demand for Y will be huge.

Regarding practicality of an S...yes its too wide, but you *do* get used to it. I live down narrow lanes so its annoying, but its a phenomenal car.
My P85 was way bigger than my pre-Tesla XC90, but is like a toy compared to my Model X, which is absolutely gigantic - have taken it to the UK a few times and it's a real challenge just driving it onto the Chunnel. It's the main reason I've ordered a Plaid S and not another X - plus my wife hates the FWDoors (and indeed they are sometimes incredibly practical, other times quite the opposite)

Electric motorbikes are brilliant. I have a Tesla model 3 and a super soco TC max. The tc max costs about 0.5 per mile and is great for battering about locally. Thinking about upgrading to a zero or an energica. The energica now has a big (>20kw/h) battery and dc charging so should be very usable on highway. My absolute favourite mode of E transport is however my trek power fly 5 !
I'd love an EM, but would probably end up killing myself. My last bike was a Ducati 916, back in 1999, just before I moved to Belgium and sold everything

Fact: some people will die in accidents involving Autopilot.
Fact: ”some” people die in accidents with human drivers.
Thats why they’re called accidents.

Statistically, Autopilot is much safer than an average human. But in some specific cases, it has done things that few humans would, resulting in tragedy. Regardless of the NYT piece, the liability issue will be ongoing, as it is solely Tesla that’s pushing this envelope.

How is society going to handle robodrivers that are almost always better than humans, in the instances where they’re not?
Statistically commercial airlines are the safest way to travel, but some people are afraid to fly because they are not 100% accident free and if you are in an airplane accident, it's not likely you will survive. It will be the same for robodriving (except your survival rate will be much higher).

It’s all about planning, we were on the road from San Francisco to Los Angles past Saturday, navigation suggested stop at Harris Ranch, instead we stopped at Firebaugh for lunch with 50% charge, and Santa Clarita before dinner with 10% charge. No line at all, both were 250kw max, and it was July 4th weekend.

Perhaps Tesla could add a function to NAV similar to what Yelp displays that shows times of peak usage of each Supercharger over the previous 7 days. This would help the people not as obsessively focused on details and tricks as TMC readers, and possibly reduce clogging.

am unsure but distilled chart to a few simple number

1)kwh divided by weight of battery, times range for raw number for ?efficiency? of moving from “here to there”

Model Y and Model 3 raw number 54 and 53

Bolt and i-Pace raw number 35.6 and 35.2
eTron and Mach-E both ~29.6

to me this translates to
the Model Y and Model 3 are 1.5x as efficient as Bolt and i-Pace
and 1.8x as eTron and Mach-E

(i get a 7x as BMW i-3 so i suspect my simple analysis is leaving something out)
but it gives simple comparison

i hope this is investment related

Yeah, I don’t bring this up all the time because I hate to repeat myself, but NYT did more to launch us into an unprovoked war of aggression and murder that killed millions of people and has cost us more dollars in aggregate than it would cost to go 100% renewable then any media outlet. And yet, many people still hold them up as some sort of gold standard of journalism.

They didn’t just cheerlead. They front page repeatedly quoted a reliable ‘anonymous’ source that was actually Warhawk VP Cheney to provide reasons and proof of WMD for the war….
Isn’t every source of information (print, online, personal, even TMC) a combination of facts, conjecture and bias? NYT is significantly better than most IMO.