Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. My mother says Camry is a prestigious car... And that 1 inch is crucial. Japanese parking lots are usually double-lined, and my Model X sometimes step on the lines on both sides, which means very rude to other people (I personally don't care much but ordinary people can not do that).
Above is my MX parked at a typical Japanese parking lot.
# my car is parked approx 1 inch to the right from the center in this video.
How much was the Model X to purchase in Japan? I have a long held opinion it’s the cost.

Here‘s a take on Didi’s troubles in China that I haven’t seen here, and which may help explain concerns around Tesla and other companies collecting data in China:

Didi’s removal from China’s app stores marks a growing crackdown

1625607300517.png

Briefly, the concern may not be about privacy, nor data locality — rather the Chinese government might demand access to all the data Tesla collects in China. Would Tesla be willing to comply, thus becoming complicit in China’s use of that data? Suppose that puts Tesla in breach of USA law, crafted to punish companies that help the Chinese government repress its own people? This could quickly become political, and tricky.

That said, my outlook as a long-term investor remains positive.

Here‘s a take on Didi’s troubles in China that I haven’t seen here, and which may help explain concerns around Tesla and other companies collecting data in China:

View attachment 682010
Briefly, the concern may not be about privacy, nor data locality — rather the Chinese government might demand access to all the data Tesla collects in China. Would Tesla be willing to comply, thus becoming complicit in China’s use of that data? Suppose that puts Tesla in breach of USA law, crafted to punish companies that help the Chinese government repress its own people? This could quickly become political, and tricky.

If Chinese gov start to be unreasonable when requesting data access, Tesla can chose to stop collecting any Data from Chinese market, and Tesla cars will still be very compelling products there.

This is a very different case than Google, where if Google stops collecting data, there is no service they can provide.

Not to say Chinese would do that, (which I believe they won’t). Only to point out even if they do, it would be fine for Tesla, without being forced to do anything they don’t want to.

View attachment 682010

China demanded Apple keep all their data on Chinese citizens in China and Apple complied.

If you're going to play ball with a totalitarian regime, you better expect something like this and you better comply. Or else.

I'm not so sure. It seems the car listed costs 463 000NOK while the listed LR M3 costs 449 000 which I assume is the Freemont one? Christine I assume you did notice the one you listed was slightly used so had a cheaper price because of that?

I'm just confused on the pricing here.

I might have gotten that wrong - I got confused too. And I have not been following TM3 pricing very closely.

But assuming Chinese made cars have lower cost they could either give a discount or keep the larger profit. Or a little of both.

When is the Tesla annual shareholder meeting? as I remember it was 7/7/20 last year?
Last year they announced on Aug 21 that the meeting would be on Sept 22. Notice was 31 days before the meeting.
Tesla IR link for last year's annual shareholder date announcement

Elon's last tweet, however, indicated the meeting would possibly be late July or in August. If august is on the table we should see an announcement any day now
Elon tweet on possible date of shareholder meeting possibly end of July or in august

I'm guessing we should get an announcement this month with a meeting to take place late August

My skills of deduction have been honed here in the fires of battery FUD and using said skills this tweet by Elon is clearly an indication that FSD is imminent, 4680s are flying out the factory's ears, and we will see off the charts production of model Y, cybertruck, and semis.

Place your head on the headrest, hold onto your phones firmly, and prepare for stock price takeoff!

ID4 requires a very slow start up in order to use the A/C. This Chinese customer is pissed.

Translation: "This is the ID4. After turning it on, I have to wait for this mother-f ing interface to start up in order to start the AC. Can't do anything right now... dumba#@ car..."

After watching this video, I am very grateful that not only does my Tesla start my A/C once I open the door, but I can use the app to pre-condition it while I’m walking to it!

Patrick Fisher, The Finkelstein Group, RBC for his July 6th article, Clean Energy Portfolio: Rising Oil Prices & the EV "Flippening" is nothing new to us on TMC, however found it to be well presented and informative. The graph on page 15, when updated with 1st half of 2021 statistics will show the start of the S curve intensifying for EV adoption. RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) is Canada's largest Bank and the 12th largest Bank in the World. This report covers a wide client base of their Investment clients (report is free and I have no association with RBC whatsoever, client or otherwise). I have permission from The Finkelstein group to post the entire PDF article on internet forum.

Video link: video

Attachments

• Clean Energy Portfolio - July 6 2021.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
This was my first charging experience. I think it was better than the EA chargers. As simple as Tesla Superchargers.View attachment 681941

Lol, and it was called a "Super-Charger" by Mattel - This story gets deeper every day.
Heck, did they mention FSD under "Safe Driving Rules" too?

1625601823092.png

I took one for the team and watched this video about the "Motor valley" facing the electric revolution.

For those who don't know, we are talking about the greater area of Modena and Bologna that has been the home of
supercar brands like Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, and hypercar brands like Pagani and Dallara (there are motobikes too).
Not really something that Tesla should worry about, but at least in Italy these are brands in the S and X (and Roadster ;-)) price range.

Some notes (my comments in italic):
  • the market is now strongly directed to electric cars: no more compliance cars, demand is more than supply.
  • there is a new type of customer: younger, more sustainability-oriented.
  • children are now in awe for the silence of EVs, like we were for the noise of a big engine
  • Enel (Italian biggest distributor of electricity and gas) is directly copying the supercharger model for the expansion of the charging grid. Big stations with multiple stalls up to 350kw, DC. In the last 3 years they install some 13k chargers up to 50kw. The goal now is reassure clients that a charging station "will be there", and support the idea of a EV that is a car for the whole family and all trips. As of now, EVs have in fact been marketed and sold especially as urban city cars (Zoe, Leaf, Smart, and even the 500e are following this idea. As a Zoe-owner, this is actually the easiest way to own an EV in Italy - Model 3 aside).
  • A big theme is in fact fast recharging along highways: there are 440 service areas that are heavily used and need charging stalls.
  • Energica electric motorbikes are going very well: they focused on performance, since 2009, targeting hardcore motorcyclists. Now the customer base is changing a bit, but they still like performance. The bikes make 0-100 (km, not miles) in 2.6 seconds.
  • Accenture said a few things about EV customers. Hypercars clients are segment on its own: their cars are "useless" car, thay can be useless also with a drivetrain and a battery. For more mainstream cars, the EV revolution does come along with other revolution: shared mobility, connectivity, and autonomy in the future. Younger generations are less interested in private cars. A survey said that 1/3 of respondents wanted shared mobility as the "first or unique" way of moving. Recharging thus becomes a problem of a fleet operator, not a private customer.
  • (Still Accenture) Automotive is a 3.5 trillion industry. Mobility is a 7.7 trillion industry. There's a difference.
  • Maserati CTO says that making EV is different but you don't throw away all your previous skills, knowledge and experience. Evolution, we can do it, DNA Maserati, yada yada. The new Folgore will be presented next year, after 4 years of work (but there will be a ICE version too).
  • Enel says Formula E and Moto E are great way to test prototypes and invent solutions that in a year or two can be manufactured at scale.
  • A2A, a small e-mobility operator, is working in Lombardy, especially in the Milano and Brescia area. They make charging stations. They say that in the last 4-5 months they doubled the user base.
  • Italian cities are different from other European ones (Norway, Nederlands, etc.). There are a lot of historical condos without the possibility of putting many chargers in the garage. It is likely that Italy will need a widespread and capillary charging network.
  • Energica walks down memory lane: what was like to build an electric bike in the motor valley, etc. E-bikes are bikes, they don't lack anything from ICE one. They always say to the new customer: "Try it, then we can talk." When he takes off his helmet, he always smiles.
  • Digital and sustainability are the two major trends. A region that can work as a system can navigate them both.
  • Maserati worked hard to produce a sound for the new Folgore (you got to be kidding me...)
Not very impressed, to be honest. Fun fact: no German brands have been named, only Tesla. It was definitely the elephant in the room.

2021 and this still makes headlines:

View attachment 682018
Of course it never happens to other auto makers.

It's a tradition really.

Contrary to VW's boast, I believe they have not caught up to Tesla's OTA technology, let alone done anything first.

I remember reading or hearing somewhere (maybe from Sandy Munro) that Tesla is the only automaker with highly integrated in-car microprocessors and software, which allows Tesla to update damn-near anything and fix problems over-the-air that you'd think would be hardware problems, not software.

Cars from other automakers, including VW (I think), have dozens of microprocessors from different suppliers, each with its own software that can barely talk to the others, if at all. These automakers don't have the in-house software expertise to integrate the whole system like Tesla does, according to my memory. (Maybe someone can verify this or correct me.)

So when VW says they now have OTA updates, what exactly can they update? GM and other "high-volume manufacturers" have had limited OTA updating (of navigation or entertainment data) for years, so VW is not first with that. It is not the same as Tesla's capability.

Last edited: