Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tsla is the biggest loser as the Ev player, the auto player, the solar player, and the tech player today.

I think this is attributed to the news of opening up the supercharging network. Wall Street decided that this will drive demand up for other manufacturers and decrease demand for Tesla as they give away their best moat.

Perhaps the dumbest smart money move..guess they all forgot this is the TESLA super charging network. If they find it to be this valuable, then maybe they should reward the company that you know..OWN and CONTROLS it.

Tsla is the biggest loser as the Ev player, the auto player, the solar player, and the tech player today.

I think this is attributed to the news of opening up the supercharging network. Wall Street decided that this will drive demand up for other manufacturers and decrease demand for Tesla as they give away their best moat.

Perhaps the dumbest smart money move..guess they all forgot this is the TESLA super charging network. If they find it to be this valuable, then maybe they should reward the company that you know..OWN and CONTROLS it.
The market and investors are often years behind in knowledge ..... especially when it comes to $TSLA....it'll 10x again before they wake up and realize that it is the most valuable company in the world.

Wait, but this is at least the second message to suggest a monthly fee for supercharger access. Who’s going to pay that? Nobody pays $20/mo to be allowed to stop at Exxon stations. EVs are supposed to be *better*. I just don’t see a monthly fee happening.
Well for EV’s they do.
Here’s the pricing for casual customers: How much does it cost to charge at IONITY?
About 0.8euro/kWh, almost 3x what Tesla charges.
FastNed is slightly cheaper, only 0,59euro/kWh still double what Tesla charges: Prijzen
To get to the price level of Tesla, you need a 12 euro per month subscription at FastNed.
I guess that Tesla will price charging at a level between FastNed and Ionity.

Edit: 13euro/month at BMW and 10euro/month at VW for a subscription with reasonable Ionity prices. See We Charge | Volkswagen België and Tarieven - BMW NL - DCS

Last edited:
I fear that the competition really is coming from Ford now.. this is a technological breakthrough! /s

Its like patent coming from driving down hill. I claim it if nobody has already!

Because Tesla sales would never do that.
This really was not necessary. Most people buying a Tesla don't interact with a salesperson at all. And no, a person who helps you complete your purchase after the fact is not a salesperson even if they are called a sales advisor. Why would they convince you to buy something you already bought? They are there for the paperwork and financing.

(
A bit off topic here in after-hours, but it is related to solar power, EVs and my TSLA shares.

Today I won an auction for a new home being built in what is billed as America’s first solar-powered town. The solar power is not from home roofs, but a large solar farm adjacent to the community. For now, power at night comes from the grid, but the plan is for battery storage once it becomes a little cheaper. An electrical outlet to charge an EV is standard in every home garage in my new neighborhood.

Bad me: I had to sell a tiny number of TSLA shares today to cover the required deposit for the home. Five years ago, I paid cash for a new home with TSLA profits, and will be doing so again this year.
so you are moving to Florida? and Babcock Ranch?

You might be on to something.

I just listened to yesterday's Tesla Daily podcast, where Rob was going through some of last weekend's rumors regarding Cybertruck, opening superchargers to OEMs, etc. He said at at about 8.22: "the German brands might also buy the internal chargers from Tesla for new models, which, I could definitely see being the case if they do tie into the Supercharger network."

Again, this is just rumor/speculation at this point, but I could see this as being perhaps a decent solution for Tesla if the German government is going to require Tesla to open up its Superchargers in Germany. I could see Tesla being open to this as it would force German brands to buy Tesla's hardware if they want to use the charging network. Hard to imagine Old Auto agreeing to this, at least from an ego point of view, but they may not have a choice if Tesla says, "OK, fine, we'll open our network. But you guys will have to install our on-board chargers for this to work safely and with our payment system."

Anyway, I think it would be one of the fairest and safest ways for Old Auto to tap into Tesla's existing charging network: force them into installing Tesla on-board chargers on at least some of their new EVs going forward, at least the ones marketed as long-distance travelers.

Would also bring a whole new meaning to "hybrid" EV, haha. Think: "The all-new Mustang Mach-E, with Tesla charger! Only at your nearest Ford dealer!"
It is not unreasonable for Tesla to require their hardware, adherence to their specifications & API’s, and completion of a certification process for access to the Supercharger network.

Indeed, Tesla may require other automakers to agree to their terms for Tesla’s open patents, if those automakers wanted to build Tesla’s chargers into their vehicles.

While it may help the mission to open up the Supercharger network, it isn’t necessarily in Tesla’s interest or even the best way to achieve the mission to simply throw open the doors to any EV. That is, Tesla should use its leverage in this situation to influence the direction of other automakers.

Some will no doubt argue that none of the legacy automakers will accept these terms. My reply is that these automakers face a prisoners‘ dilemma: Legacy automakers face a life-or-death choice and access to the Supercharger network much improves the odds of survival.

All it takes is for one legacy automakers to break ranks for this approach to work for Tesla and to put all the other legacy automakers in a bind. I can imagine that they‘d fall like dominos.

Most bullish yet helpful to the mission too. :cool:

This really was not necessary. Most people buying a Tesla don't interact with a salesperson at all. And no, a person who helps you complete your purchase after the fact is not a salesperson even if they are called a sales advisor. Why would they convince you to buy something you already bought? They are there for the paperwork and financing.

FWIW many folks interact with sales advisors, even at Tesla, pre-sale.

Test drives for example.

100% of my experiences with them have included them providing factually inaccurate info.... (in some cases the only reason I knew it was inaccurate was having read the correct info at TMC too.... like at the time they told me Model 3 didn't come with heated rear seats at all and would come on a later model... when I knew from here they all had it and it just wasn't enabled in SW yet).

Just like 100% of my experiences with sales associates at every other brand of car I've dealt with including other "luxury" brands like Lexus, Mercedes, etc. where they generally knew less about the features and optioning of the things they were trying to sell than I did.

front-line car sales persons are notoriously ill informed on their own products- across all brands.

There are MANY things Tesla does far better than other car companies... training random sales staff isn't among them.

Uh-uh, nope, I don't buy it.

The whole reason range anxiety is a thing is because we're all coming from ICE cars, where there are gas stations all over the place and any time you get vaguely low on gas, you can just stop at a gas station nearby and fill up. I expect most ICE owners couldn't even state the max range of their vehicle, because it's so easy to refill on the go. But with EVs there are all these obstacles -- different plugs, different apps, different billing schemes, unattended stations that may be broken, cars that don't work with stations from certain manufacturers even with the correct plug (I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen the videos), all kinds of crap. You schedule a trip around the charging stops and cross your fingers that they actually work, there isn't a line, whatever. Plus it takes noticeably longer to charge than to gas up. Objectively, I think this refueling situation is way worse than gas, even if I find the overall Tesla road trip experience more relaxing.

All right, so, in the pursuit of transitioning the world to sustainable energy, we're going to make a large, well-maintained, high-speed charging network available to many non-Tesla EVs. Fantastic! They'll love it!

Only, oops, they need yet another adapter... yet another app... yet another account and billing scheme... and oh yeah, there's a monthly fee to boot.

That's crazy talk. That's not transitioning the world to sustainable energy, that's making non-Tesla EVs suck more, for longer, in the hopes of reaping some build-a-supercharger government incentives while not actually encouraging owners of other EVs to use the supercharger network.

I just don't see it.
The only reason why you can get away with it is there are many ways to charge, lots of ways to charge for free too. This is simply not an option with ICE. No one can put in a destination gas pump or a garage gas pump. So the majority of use cases is solved to begin with.

Tesla need to protect their assets and also ensure top notch service for their own customers as a priority. Most customers are not happy with them opening up their network as many felt like they paid a good premium on a Tesla in order to access the network while the rest of the industry gets it for free. So in the end, it needs to be Tesla customers first.

So does anyone think that other manufacturers are really going to have their navigation systems route the cars through Tesla SuperChargers?

Tesla SuperCharger and Tesla SuperCharger app will the first real advertising Tesla does and they will get paid for it. Paid with an adapter, paid with the charging fees and paid with pushing Tesla energy and Tesla cars in the app.

Supercharging:
  1. VW bosses may not be too embarrassed about being compared to existing Tesla models at the moment - they don't really see the differences such is their culture / unconscious bias
  2. Different story when a Roadster or CT rolls in - ID4 customers will think they are on a different planet. This is incomprehensible to VW bosses
  3. They may not use the superchargers that much - Is there anyone daft enough to go on a road trip in something other than a Tesla anyway?

I don't get the concerns regarding the opening up the SC network, especially when there is ZERO tangible details. Since Tesla is the GATEKEEPER, don't expect them to "open up charging" in a way that harms Tesla owners or the Tesla company.

We know way too little, the stress is around solutions looking for problems...

Expansion of Tesla presence is bullish. FULL STOP

Tesla is also down on small volume. Very easy to push around the price. I took the opportunity to roll my DOTM puts this week up to NTM to squeeze out a bit more premium.

Play the gift cards you are dealt.

Right now as usual short term opposite world thinking on TSLA allows people to earn income from sentiments. Owning a supercharger network and obviously charging (double entendre) others for use is a great ongoing revenue model. Mentioned also on this thread, why not a subscription service to other EVs? Seems like the apple, prime, netflix playbook.

Finally, the reported 500+ mile range for the Cybertruck remains intriguing. Are there new batteries, motors or what that will propel the CT through the air with inefficient large form factor tires and wheels? What is the secret sauce? When a 500+ mile range car is available, then trips with stops every 400+ miles would be considered making supercharger use less frequent.

4-D chess: majority of teslas in the upcoming years will likely have higher ranges, and SCs become less used, so get revenue from this resource by charging subscription services to leafs, etrons, taycans, with ranges of 200 miles.