Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the discussion about skylights, the benefits of natural lighting in production areas and architectural innovation, is anyone working on a translucent roofing material for flat industrial roofs which would eliminate the chopping required for skylights, and leaks? Guess there will always be some need for artificial lighting to compensate for weather variations.

Further, has anyone written about the economics of Tesla Solar Roofing on flat industrial roofs? Shouldn’t we see significant efficiencies in installation costs (per sq. ft.) and power generation?

Last edited:
1/ Circular driving wheel made sense when there was no power assist and only direct mechanical connection in order to turn the wheels
2/ Yoke lets you see the driver assist screen, huge improvement for security as FSD continues to improve - not possible with circular wheel
Article below describes common injuries due the circular steering wheel and the air bag:
- broken fingers
- watch/ring cut to the face or forearm slapping the face when holding the 12 o'clock position

I suppose there could be additional injury types if the airbag pops while pressing the bag to sound the horn, which could be one reason the plaid has a button on the right side of the airbag for the horn.

The yoke being wider than a wheel will also prevent broken thumbs if they are resting on the airbag when it pops.

That is why new driver training no longer recommend any hand holding the steering wheel above the 3 and 9 o'clock.

Last edited:

FWIW I sold my 2018 48k mile Model 3 yesterday for $4k less than I paid. I went to the local sales center and asked "On the off chance, Do you have any Performance Model 3's in inventory in the tri-state area?"

They showed me their internal inventory system. Not a single Model 3 available of any kind in the entire United States.

#demandProblem

Reminder that the comment period on the NHTSA study on camera-based side mirrors ends today. If you need a recap, here is a link to Rob of Tesla News Daily explaining why it is important. The description of the video has a link to The Federal Register, which describes exactly what NHTSA is seeking comments on (Drivers' Use of Camera-Based Rear Visibility Systems Versus Traditional Mirrors). The little green box on that page takes you here, where you can actually write your comment.

My comment emphasized increased safety (with traditional mirrors, one normally takes eyes off the road three times- rearview, side, head turn to check blind spot). Cameras enable us to check once. I also emphasized how removing mirrors will ultimately improve the fuel efficiency of the entire fleet over time and make parking easier, etc. I also expressed my hope that NHTSA studies camera-based mirrors over time, as there will undoubtedly be a short adjustment period for drivers trained on traditional mirrors.

Please take a minute and comment. I want my Cybertruck to be as Elon planned it.

Thanks and now we can get back to the discussion on skylights.

Here’s a thought - pure speculation on my part - if supply of motors, and maybe batteries, is very tight for some reason in the US as well, and to alleviate the issue you were going to re-release a single motor variant of your hottest vehicle (model Y) - you might precede the introduction by raising the price of the existing dual motor vehicles to create room for the new cheaper SR or MR variant.

The model Y LR is now $4000 more expensive than it was when the Model Y SR existed back in January ($54k now vs $50k then). Plenty of room for a high margin Model Y SR (or MR) to be reintroduced around ~$45k.

(handy chart by Rob Mauer, see his latest post here: Tesla Raises Prices on Model 3 and Model Y )

1627047985856.png

The disagree is for the assumed conscious dismissal of the subject, unless of course you’ve spoken to him/tweeted it to him/or some such and he’s specified in some way he’s not interested in those ideas - then irritate away.

It seems the more he does, the more people demand of him.
I understand your point. However the actual practices of Tesla from Fremont, Sparks, Buffalo and Shanghai show that these have net used the most efficient and cost effective solutions but have chosen for the fastest, as a general rule. We all understand how important speed is. We all also understand how enormously positive and consequential Tesla has already been.

Doing better in this arena requires very little fo Elon's time and not much from other executives. All they need to do is choose architects and builders who are devoted to sustainable and efficient practices. That really is not difficult. Possibly the biggest downside in aggregate is a construction cost of perhaps 8-10% more, but reduced operating cost.

As an admirer of Elon Musk since PayPal I am in awe of all he has accomplished. One needs to be quite foolish and ignorant to think otherwise in my opinion.
Even so, there are always small steps that can make things better. These steps are mostly cheap and inexpensive ways to contribute to the Tesla mission.
There are few topics on which I deign to suggest Elon improve. Better building efficiency and customer service are the only two on which I deign to opine.

Reactions: kcveins and CLK350
I honestly hope not. I'm planning on buying an Austin Y as soon as they are available and I'd rather have the wheel and stalks. The yoke makes sense on the S/X due to the forward screen but on the 3/Y I think it would just look out of place.

Same here. Replacing steering wheel with a yoke on the models you want to have the most mass market appeal, at this time, would be shooting yourself in the foot. Let yoke prove its appeal and utility in the S & X models first.

Same here. Replacing steering wheel with a yoke on the models you want to have the most mass market appeal, at this time, would be shooting yourself in the foot. Let yoke prove its appeal and utility in the S & X models first.

Surprised,
by now I thought some one would have put out a device that attaches to the yoke and make it a wheel again.
Put the yoke back in a shell and you get the wheel (maybe not 100% circular thought)

The main thing that bothers me about the delay in delivering S is that Tesla isn't telling anyone why. Speculation runs rampant and it impacts the stock price. Is it a short term glitch in the supply chain? Parts shortage? A problem with the manufacturing line? Software problem? Please keep us in the loop, Tesla.
We had originally ordered the Plaid+ wanting the extra range and the 4680’s because you still cannot drive north-south or East-west across Idaho on the Supercharger network with ‘conventional’ Tesla range of 300’ish miles. I sincerely enjoy the can-do attitude of the other Tesla owners I have personally met through TMC in our area, such as @ruralectric and @skitown who are also in the same boat and are also actively working to help make EV travel around Idaho easier for everyone. We allowed ourselves to be talked into the Plaid by Tesla Fremont because it still had sufficient range to improve our Idaho travels, and there was the potential to receive our vehicle before the end of Q2 (we wanted to contribute to a break-out quarter). It didn’t arrive in time for EOQ, nor did we receive an update as @Chunky Jr. mentions. I finally called Tesla Fremont for that update this week and mentioned I was considering canceling because we are getting ever-closer to our Cybertruck Tri-motor delivery - which will have even better range, 4680’s, and be far more useful to us on our homestead. I was told our Plaid reservation number should be available in September, and was encouraged to continue to wait. I then asked what the anticipated delivery date of a Plaid X would be if we decided to get a Plaid X instead of the Plaid S due to the delay. I was told Plaid X with the current wait time would put us into December. There are plenty of orders for both vehicle models, and if we were in a hurry it would make sense to stay in line for the Model S Plaid. We are not in a hurry and I still don’t know the reason for the delay. We have not yet made a decision on canceling. We would only lose our $100 deposit at this point if we do.

With all the reports of Tesla delivering Model Y’s from China to Europe instead of from the US to Europe my gut tells me there are parts available in China that are on limited supply here in the US, and Tesla is wisely putting the limited number they have access to into their highest margin vehicles and those vehicles that accelerate their long term plan. I still believe a recent speculation I posted that Tesla is also working to further encourage Germany to accelerate the completion of Tesla Berlin by importing Chinese manufactured Y’s into Germany that could/should have been produced in Germany instead. And they may be prioritizing the limited parts in the global supply chain to do so. Tesla’s decision to build a Gigafactory in Germany was brilliant for many reasons - and it appears it also provides them access to a supply chain that everyone else in the US and perhaps Europe may have lost during this last year of supply insanity.

The main thing that bothers me about the delay in delivering S is that Tesla isn't telling anyone why. Speculation runs rampant and it impacts the stock price. Is it a short term glitch in the supply chain? Parts shortage? A problem with the manufacturing line? Software problem? Please keep us in the loop, Tesla.
Let me put your mind at ease. Whether Tesla gives a reason or not speculation will run rampant and the SP will be impacted. Fact. Not up for debate. Plenty of historical data available right here in this forum thread.

FWIW these continue to be about the older models (through 2019), 2020+ changed battery chemistry and AFAIK hasn't been impacted by this stuff. Still, not good for EVs in general to be making any fire related headlines.
Some people such as yourself might not be able to distinguish a particular product issue from every other product of that type, but I assure you there are plenty of people who can and will. The latter will come to the conclusion it’s a GM Bolt issue, no more no less.