Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You think they’re all going to be doing an Accountant avatar. 🤣 I assure you they will not. Q2 will be deemed a ‘one off’. 😉 Goalposts will be moved. There’s definitely a busted growth story or six in there. Wait for it.
Yeah... This QUARTER wasn't nearly as good as last YEAR:

Attachments

• D0FB97A3-6629-47D2-8D25-17D79E0D35A5.jpeg
    D0FB97A3-6629-47D2-8D25-17D79E0D35A5.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 81
Lora Kolodny was on and she was visibly shaken by how good the earnings report was. Even admitted that competitors EV sales eating into ICE sales not Tesla sales. She did try to say that the lower credits could be of concern. Yeah the same credits they love to use to downplay Tesla earnings.
And you didn't change the channel??? tsk tsk.....I recommend mods give you a 1 week vacation for watching her! :D :D :D

My hunch about the price increases NOT being entirely raw material driven makes me only more excited for Q3 and Q4 considering the additional price increases we've seen in the past 2-3 months, which won't show up until the Q3 and Q4 earnings.

Indeed. I think it does look like this is tesla padding the price due to high demand plus the chance of a juicy EV tax credit coming in the US. Very sensible business move. I did suspect we would be dissapointed, and that this strategy would have been impossible due to raw materials rises, but clearly not! This also bodes very well for demand, if an EV tax credit can kick in just in time for increased Y supply from Texas. Thats Q4 talk though!

The huge improvement in Margins and the tremendous Free Cash Flow generated in Q2 now causes every analyst to re-do Q3, Q4 and 2022, 2023, etc. in turn increasing valuations
We should see new increased Price Targets from wall street.
"should". Never underestimate how much market makers count on volatility, and how much Institutional Shareholders depend on share lending to offset holding expenses. Net: hey really NEED short sellers so they do not want to annihilate them. This will be tricky. For all of us we need to remember that in the short term retail investors cannot successfully compete. That is why this is not really illogical.

Not too long ago this would have been illegal. It most definitely is not now.

Long term this will work well. We just have to ignore the short term. Sadly, I cannot take my own advice.

Can't understand why the stock is not over $700 after hours.

Non-GAAP EPS at $1.45
Gross Margins 24.1%
Operating Margin 11%
Free Cash Flow at $619m

These numbers are incredible.

Stage 1: Denial
It's not unusual to respond to the intense and often sudden feelings by pretending the loss or change isn't happening. Denying it gives you time to more gradually absorb the news and begin to process it. This is a common defense mechanism and helps numb you to the intensity of the situation.

I think the best news is regarding 4680s. If there was even a hint of a problem here, the statement about 4680s would have more wiggle room. It reads like "we can mass produce these now...we just want to make sure we can mega-mass produce them".
TBH I am surprised (happily) that the margins are as good as they are. I thought the current inflationary pressures regarding raw materials would have squeezed tesla much more.

I still think Q3 is where the real action is. Wall street needs to see robots working on cars and production lines actually doing something in Berlin and Texas (even just some test runs), before it will really hit them how big a jump in automotive production is coming.
Plus Q3 will be where the latest FSD build, and the subscription revenue, and the new model S (and hopefully X?) starts to be seen on the bottom line.

TL;DR: These results are really good, but I think Q3 is going to be hilariously good.

Pity about official delay to semi though. The world needs to convert trucking to BEVs ASAP.

Yes.

A lot of people don't realize that Tesla has enough CAPEX under construction to get $100b+ worth of revenue a year... Ford and GM are ~$130b per year. They still think it's a boutique manufacturer...

...and by the time it's done, Tesla will essentially have zero debt!

I hope Tesla switches back to the old lady who did the ER intros with the high pitched voice.
I also hope Elon is on point for this ER. Last time it was semi-cringe.
We still waiting for the stream link to be uploaded to the site or does someone have?

If TSLA doesn’t get to $750 and above from this report, then it is just further spring compression like they did from 2014-2019. In that period the company got better and better in every way but the SP stayed basically flat. Then we saw what happened when they couldn’t hold the spring down any longer in 2020.

I don’t know how long they will be able to hold it down again this time (maybe years?), but the release should be magnificent again when it does.

In the meantime, let’s just keep buying and holding. (and selling options for income if you like to do that as I do)

If TSLA doesn’t get to $750 and above from this report, then it is just further spring compression like they did from 2014-2019. In that period the company got better and better in every way but the SP stayed basically flat. Then we saw what happened when they couldn’t hold the spring down any longer in 2020.

I don’t know how long they will be able to hold it down again this time (maybe years?), but the release should be magnificent again when it does.

In the meantime, let’s just keep buying and holding. (and selling options for income if you like to do that as I do)

The difference is that the stock is in the S&P 500 now. I would think that sort of spring-like stock behavior isn't possible anymore.