Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I see the same...but this is not version 9.0
Remember it only gets better ..mostly.

I HATE driving a non Tesla AP car on the highway.
There are benefits to a non-Tesla non FSD car too. Instead of our MYP, we are in a rental car (2013ish prius) for a week while traveling and its led to a great deal of laughter. My 6 year old can't contain her disdain for how slow it is. (Floor it, Daddy! .... Did you do it?) Also, I'd forgotten how super loud a tiny ICE engine is when struggling.

But the main benefit of driving around in this S-box is how easy it's making it to get our next Tesla.

to be fair, TA is closer to arts and literature than math or engineering.

I would say TA is closer to palm reading, tarot cards and astrology. The similarities are that someone skilled in these arts can read the clues anyway they want. This means they could be as good as someone just looking at the chart and guessing. Some people are very good at this.

The good thing about all of these things is a prediction based on some good hocus-pocus comes across as a lot more credible than a prediction that is admitted to just be a gut feeling or a guess. Don't underestimate the value of that - it can give someone the confidence they need to act on their gut feelings.

Using a first principles concept, specifically, the best process is no process, I like to skip the TA step and just look at the charts. Plus it saves me from having to draw a bunch of lines and arrows on them. :cool:

Last edited:
If Tesla can perfect a fire proof battery, that will be a huge competitive advantage

Yeah, and maybe Exxon-Mobile can formulate fireproof oil products! 🤪 Think of all the lives that would be saved!

Seriously, when you have that much energy, that close together, there is no such thing as "fireproof", just degrees of safety. It's all about managing the various parameters to keep them in the non-combustion zone.

The Infrastructure bill is proposed to be funded by Congress so it could happen a lot more quickly than the border wall which Mexico was going to pay for. Over 4 years later and Mexico still hasn't coughed up a bloody cent for the wall. Who woulda' thunk? 🤪

Like with most things nowadays, I'm concerned. Govts, my opinion, manage society for its constituents. Businesses have missions and are focused towards them (if done right). If you start having scenarios in society that can cause havoc like for example just recent days:

I'm sorry, but this is a radically new macro environment to pay attention to than us sitting here in our homes. There's trickle down effects being caused including isolation and shortages (e.g. teachers) because of this macro situation

...and a lack of wanting to work together...

It lends to a theory I've had for awhile that we (i.e. society) are going to rest everything on Elon Musk and his teams to fix things. I'd rather see the entire ecosystem come together, tbh. Also, soon. I have difficulty comprehending why the US government is taking forever to get this bill passed and what has been the hold up with the Republicans. They're humans first...I hope.

From what I understand, the part that is flammable is the liquid electrolyte. The dry electrolyte material is not flammable

Even with a dry electrode there is just as much potential energy in the battery. I have a hard time believing dry electrode cells are not flammable. Hopefully they improve the resistance to catching fire but I would be shocked if they eliminated it.

While it's always good to improve the products we use, lowering the flammability is not that high on my list since it's currently not a significant problem. Certainly much less so than ICE vehicles.

Lora Kolodny and CNBC are caught red-handed misleading viewers about Tesla.

This afternoon she wrote an article titled:
'Some Tesla owners could get $625 each in settlement over battery throttling'

A few hours later she revised the title by removing the word 'some'. It now reads:
'Tesla owners could get $625 each in class action settlement over battery throttling'

She made the title far less accurate for the sole purpose of making it sound like this affects far more Tesla owners than it actually does.

You can still see the original title including the word 'some' in the 'Latest News' feed on the right side of the home page (scroll down a few stories). When you click on it you see the updated title with the word 'some' removed. The article is also front and center on the home page, also with the word 'some' removed.

edit: Here is a screenshot where you can see the original and updated titles side by side on the CNBC home page.

1627622135610.png

Last edited:
As much as I would like this to be true, I think it's not there yet (pre-FSD Beta 9, anyway).

I just took a 2-day road trip with Navigate on AP on pretty much the whole time. There were some wrinkles. It liked to declare its intention to change lanes, put the blinker on, and wait waaaay too long to execute. Several times I'd be watching a car approaching at like +10mph in the lane it was going to change into, and it would cheerfully wait until the car was nearly caught up and then try to cut it off. Another wrinkle was when it would be coming up behind a truck at like +1mph, with a car approaching in the left lane at +5mph or more, and it would try to execute the lane change waaaay before it caught up to the truck, thereby forcing the approach car to slow way down and wait a really long time for it to execute the pass and change lanes. Then, it seemed like maybe 1 in 10 times it should have changed lanes, it just wouldn't decide to. If I put on the blinker then it would change, and subsequent changes worked fine. I never figured out whether there were particular circumstances that caused it to not try to change lanes (passing lane clear, -1mph to -5mph compared to vehicle in front...) One time I guess the sun made the dashed lane lines look solid due to a strip of tar where they had joined two paving strips. Only once in the whole two days did it start a lane change and then abort, and maybe two of three times it braked for poor reasons (thinking a truck was coming into its lane when it wasn't, or seeing traffic in a merging on-ramp and braking even though the ramp lane was still 10 feet away from the rest of the highway). Once I intervened to avoid a cone... there was a coned-off lane which it respected, except the cones were placed 6-12 inches into our travel lane, and when one was more like 18-24 inches into the lane, it looked like we were going to clip it. Also, I guess, once it followed some cones that resulting in us driving half in a lane and half on the shoulder, but the lane-departure warning went bananas so while we were driving the right place it was like having a screaming toddler in the car.

Bottom line, I was still happy to have it compared to the incessant beeping of lane changes with AP but without Navigate on AP... but it still has a lot of room for improvement to reach zero interventions on a day-long highway drive.

I look forward to the FSD Beta 9 logic getting merged in to the regular Navigate on AP operation. :)
Ya I've seen a few quirks around lane changes myself when traffic is all at different speeds. It's a bit uncomfortable, but not unlike sitting in the passenger seat of half the drivers out there. The good new is you didn't hit anything. For some reason, safety comes into play at that point. So it sounds like you were pretty safe.

There was a brief time when the merging freeway traffic was a bit scary, and now it's like the nicest driver ever but could give others a bit more room to pull in front. Main thing is just keep driving and it keeps getting better most of the time. Kinda like TSLA stock price. There's a clear trend line in both, and I like what I see so far.

Lora Kolodny and CNBC are caught red-handed misleading viewers about Tesla.

This afternoon she wrote an article titled:
'Some Tesla owners could get $625 each in settlement over battery throttling'

A few hours later she revised the title by removing the word 'some'. It now reads:
'Tesla owners could get $625 each in class action settlement over battery throttling'

She made the title far less accurate for the sole purpose of making it sound like this affects far more Tesla owners than it actually does.

You can still see the original title including the word 'some' in the 'Latest News' feed on the right side of the home page (scroll down a few stories). When you click on it you see the updated title with the word 'some' removed. The article is also front and center on the home page, also with the word 'some' removed.

edit: Here is a screenshot where you can see the original and updated titles side by side on the CNBC home page.

View attachment 689802
Not trying to defend her, but many publications have dedicated headline writers. Even when they don't, usually editors have the final word on headlines. Happened to me several times that my headline was changed by the editor, often without my knowledge, as it wasn't "popping" enough.