Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes to both, that is called the valley on unmet demand

The demand is unmet because the product to meet it does not exist though.

- JPR007 posts a graph on Twitter that illustrates the point...

If you recall he has a bit of a reputation for... let's say getting ahead of reality?

Yes, some compact EVs will be very affordable, cheaper than any new car today.

The cheapest new car today is about $13,500.

And even at that most people don't buy a new car.

Those 1.4 billion ICE vehicles on the road today can ONLY be replaced by new EV sales. Anything else is just one ICE replacing another ICE.

It is not possible for there to be 1.4 billion new EVs produced and sold in the timeframe you're talking about.

The batteries simply will not exist to do that.

They will eventually, but not nearly that soon.

We know where Tesla's batteries are coming from...

Yes, and they think they will have enough for 20 million cars a year by then- and you believe them, right? (I do too, FYWIW).

the same people also think the entire rest of the industry will only have enough for 10 million EVs total among them- and you do not believe them.

Why do you only believe the first one, but not the second, when it's coming from the same source?

for the record I think Tesla's lithium clay extraction works,,, and that is the tip of the iceberg in relation to a rethink on mining and materials processing..

A process that doesn't even exist in production, to produce something that's already not the most limiting factor in making batteries, is not going to magically produce five times the number of batteries Elon himself thinks will be being produced by then.... which is what you need to get from Elons 10 million for the rest to your 50 million for the rest number.

Lots of companies are scaling up plans for battery production.. this is the only "land grab" that is happening,.

Yes- and most of them have relatively TINY amounts of production in the pipeline.

They're scaling slowly- and taking years for each factory.

Typically 5 years estimated for a new mine, 5 years estimate for a new battery factory, I bet both can be done faster by highly motivated companies... More so if they take note of what competitors like Tesla are doing and develop similar processes.

The only reason they're doing what little they are is because they've noticed what Tesla is doing.

So what mistakes of reasoning do you think Elon made to predict only 10 million EVs a year from all non-tesla makers combined by then?

The only reason they're doing what little they are is because they've noticed what Tesla is doing.
They are about to notice Tesla and the Chinese doing a lot more....

Aside from that I agree to disagree, we have both stated our opinions,,, the only significant difference is the timeline... we all know how things end up.

Charging for a HW4 upgrade would greatly piss me off, and I'm on a TSLA investor forum and want them to succeed and have given them the benefit of the doubt on a ton of things. This would definitely be the wrong move for them.
They are charging $1,000 to the $199/mo FSD renters. They could have had a "rent to own" the hardware upgrade program. I'd also like a free HW4 upgrade. I don't see Tesla doing that -- not because of the cost of the board, it's because of the labor hours involved which would backlog all the service centers.

That they announce HW4 is in production is.... possible-- the timing would roughly line up with what was said on autonomy day.

The LIDAR bit is 1000% wrong.

Tesla has used LIDAR on test cars to verify how well their non-lidar systems results compare with what LIDAR readings are.

They've done that for years.

That's from 2017 showing Tesla using LIDAR on a Model S for exactly that reason. What you filmed is the same thing.

They're not adding LIDAR to their production vehicles.
I did not write they are adding LIDAR to production consumer vehicles. I predict they will add it someday to vehicles produced for the Tesla Network fleet. Laser energy penetrates water which blocks video sensors. Would you want a city fleet of vehicles disabled everytime it downpours?

I don't believe 4 years after 2017 (I know about this) they still have to compare their vision-based system to LIDAR. When I post my video you will see the LIDAR sensors mounted on the Model 3 are pretty small.

It would be stupid not to develop the LIDAR capability since that's what everyone else is doing.

Elon and Tesla are not stupid!

....what?

You think Tesla somehow didn't know WHEN they themselves were going to switch the computers in new production and ended up with a surplus of HW3 somehow and THAT is why they are offering the $1000 board swap?
Not what I wrote. Just that the HW3 boards are cheap for Tesla now they might as well install a bunch of those in the $199/mo renter's vehicles before HW4 is available. Aug 19th is definitely about HW4 and a demo of V9.1 Beta -- hopefully a wider release.

Let's not forget the advantage of Tesla's focus on "the machine that builds the machine." We already have early proof with Shanghai that Tesla took the learnings from building up Fremont to a whole new level. Now with Berlin and Texas coming on line (basically) simultaneously we will be able to see how quickly Tesla can ramp the learnings from Shanghi. By mid next year Tesla could have enough data to decide to build 4 more GFs simultaneously (let's say India, Africa, Mexico or South America, China or Europe #2). They have the money to do it.

That could put the company at 6m+ EVs per year in about 2024 or 2025.

I did not write they are adding LIDAR to production consumer vehicles. I predict they will add it someday to vehicles produced for the Tesla Network fleet.

Currently, those are the same thing.

Every tesla has the same driving sensors.

Nor does it make sense from a programming or support perspective to have two entirely different software streams.

Laser energy penetrates water which blocks video sensors. Would you want a city fleet of vehicles disabled everytime it downpours?

How do humans drive in the rain, when all they have is vision sensors?

I don't believe 4 years after 2017 (I know about this) they still have to compare their vision-based system to LIDAR.

The vision-only system didn't exist in 2017, so I'm not sure you really "know" what you think you do.

The very first vision-only cars to go into production were just a few moths ago.

Prior to that they were using a fusion of vision and radar.

So yes- they absolutely need to compare, since they're now using vision for distance measurements they were, until fairly recently, using radar for.

When I post my video you will see the LIDAR sensors mounted on the Model 3 are pretty small.

Not sure how that's relevant. They're not going to be used in production regardless of size.

It would be stupid not to develop the LIDAR capability since that's what everyone else is doing.

Everyone else was making gasoline cars.

Why didn't Tesla do "what everyone else" was doing?

Everyone else was still making cars with tons of parts, all from a slew of different suppliers- driving up costs and complexity- instead of vertically integrating and reducing # of parts whenever possible.

Everyone else requires you to come into a dealer to get any software updated on the driving side of things.

Could go on like this for a while--- but hopefully you get the point.

The key to Teslas success so far has been their not doing what everyone else is doing.

Correct.

Which is why they're not adding LIDAR.

If you solve vision, you get nothing additional from LIDAR.

If you have NOT solved vision then LIDAR is just a crutch to cover up that your system sucks.

VW have nearly tripled their pure EV deliveries YoY. Certainly good for the mission.

Tesla counts a 'delivery' when all purchase paperwork is correct and complete.

VW counts a 'delivery' when the car is dropped off at the Dealer's sales lot.

VW has an average of 82 days of inventory on hand. In effect, they are counting their chicks about 1 Quarter before they 'hatch'. :p

Cheers!

TSLA shares have been riding in the vicinity of their rising 200-day SMA (simple moving average) since mid-May. That SMA now stands at $648.52. There have been several attempts to pull above before falling back. On Thursday and Friday, we witnessed another run above. Continuation upward would be technically encouraging. Let’s keep our eyes on this during the coming week.

I did not write they are adding LIDAR to production consumer vehicles. I predict they will add it someday to vehicles produced for the Tesla Network fleet. Laser energy penetrates water which blocks video sensors. Would you want a city fleet of vehicles disabled everytime it downpours?

I don't believe 4 years after 2017 (I know about this) they still have to compare their vision-based system to LIDAR. When I post my video you will see the LIDAR sensors mounted on the Model 3 are pretty small.

Not what I wrote. Just that the HW3 boards are cheap for Tesla now they might as well install a bunch of those in the $199/mo renter's vehicles before HW4 is available. Aug 19th is definitely about HW4 and a demo of V9.1 Beta -- hopefully a wider release.

Let's try to keep it real. Lidar is well known to have trouble in heavy rain, snow, really any atmospheric condition that gives cameras trouble. Recent versions have improved lidar performance in poor seeing conditions but cameras still work better in the heavy downpours you mention and just about any other poor seeing condition. Now you know why places like Arizona are popular for developing autonomy that relies on lidar. The reason lidar is so problematic in poor seeing conditions is cameras use ambient light while lidar needs to make a round trip. Heavy rain refracts the light beam, smoke blocks it. It's still just light and is power-limited to levels that are safe for human eyes to be exposed to.

It makes no sense to explain the use of lidar to deal with downpours so heavy that camera based systems are disabled.

Last edited:
Supercharger and Vehicle Connectivity sales and costs are actually included in Automotive Sales and Cost of Sales so they are buried in my Average Selling Price and Average Unit Cost of each vehicle sold.

So, everytime some 'off-brand' EV charges up at a Supercharger stall, that revenue makes the average production cost of a Tesla EV a little bit cheaper...

As a shareholder, I'm pretty sure I like that. :D

Cheers!

Let's not forget the advantage of Tesla's focus on "the machine that builds the machine." We already have early proof with Shanghai that Tesla took the learnings from building up Fremont to a whole new level. Now with Berlin and Texas coming on line (basically) simultaneously we will be able to see how quickly Tesla can ramp the learnings from Shanghi. By mid next year Tesla could have enough data to decide to build 4 more GFs simultaneously (let's say India, Africa, Mexico or South America, China or Europe #2). They have the money to do it.

That could put the company at 6m+ EVs per year in about 2024 or 2025.
Just adding a thought: I think the next two should be in Europe and China.

Elon responded to the Institutional Investor question about how quickly they could potentially "cut and paste" factories with a comment that "there is no cut and paste" because for every new geography, you need a new supply chain.

To the extent that they can cut and paste a supply chain, Europe 2 and China 2 (or Asia 2) are the best choices for now.

Let's try to keep it real. Lidar is well known to have trouble in heavy rain, snow, really any atmospheric condition that gives cameras trouble. Recent versions have improved lidar performance in poor seeing conditions but cameras still work better in the heavy downpours you mention and just about any other poor seeing condition. Now you know why places like Arizona are popular for developing autonomy that relies on lidar. The reason lidar is so problematic in poor seeing conditions is cameras use ambient light while lidar needs to make a round trip. Heavy rain refracts the light beam, smoke blocks it. It's still just light and is power-limited to levels that are safe for human eyes to be exposed to.

It makes no sense to explain the use of lidar to deal with downpours so heavy that camera based systems are disabled.
To pile on this admittedly OT area, there is a simple reason why "everyone else uses LIDAR". "Everyone else" traces their heritage to the DARPA Grand Challenges of the mid-2000s, when LIDAR was the only way to perform localization and detect obstacles. With the CNN & computer vision revolutions of the past decade, that is no longer a requirement - vision alone is sufficient.

Disclaimer warranted, of course, as no one has fielded L4/5 yet, but much like their work on batteries, drivetrains, and software-enabled features, I believe Tesla's lack of baggage will serve them well in this area.

Could this ETF be shorted? 😳
You can short an ETF shorting ARKK by longing the underlying stocks.
The more TSLA is bought, the higher the price and the higher contribution to ARKK's bottom line.

This weird ARKK shorting etf would then need to short even more to inverse that position.

Basically:

1.) Don't sell TSLA, just buy it. Keep buying more.
2.) Laugh when this stupid ARK shorting etf needs to close down and wind down the positions.

New Zealand introduced a new EV subsidy on July 1st.

The results after 1 month have been "noticeable""
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 5.37.13 PM.png

To the posters that wrote they expect a "free upgrade" to HW4, do you expect a "free upgrade" to your A# chip every time Apple releases a new one? I didn't think so... :cool: (As an owner I want one, too. As an investor, I don't want us all to get it without paying for it - see the difference?)
Currently, those are the same thing.

Every tesla has the same driving sensors.

Nor does it make sense from a programming or support perspective to have two entirely different software streams.
Tesla supported two 100% different streams and software stacks when they dumped Mobileye and went in-house to control this mission-critical tech.

They already have two entirely different neural network software streams. Otherwise, what are they doing with the data coming from the LIDAR sensors?
They either have them connected to a second HW3 or HW4 board in the test mule running a modified NN (Neural Network). More likely, HW4 supports additional inputs and has the processing power so the LIDAR is connected to the same HW4 board as the optical sensors are.
How do humans drive in the rain, when all they have is vision sensors?
Human eye corneas do not have rain driving at them at 60+ mph like the glass that covers the video input sensors. We have fast windshield wipers to give us a slower frame rate than normal. Our brain fills-in the missing frames and decides what to do downstream a different part of our brains.
The vision-only system didn't exist in 2017, so I'm not sure you really "know" what you think you do.
Everyone is speculating at this point. "Vision-only" just means no input from the frontal radar collision-avoidance sensor, so they rely totally on CNN object classification and the frame by frame comparison which allows them to model the relative positions of the objects in 4-d space.
The very first vision-only cars to go into production were just a few months ago.

Prior to that they were using a fusion of vision and radar.
agreed. It was mostly vision except for radar in front of you. they still read the ultrasound sensors. that hasn't changed.
So yes- they absolutely need to compare, since they're now using vision for distance measurements they were, until fairly recently, using radar for.
true. that's a good thing since that's what we humans do with our stereo vision.
Not sure how that's relevant. They're not going to be used in production regardless of size.
Agree. LIDAR will not be used in "production" consumer vehicles where the liability for FSD is on the driver and not Tesla. For Tesla Network, obviously, the liability has to be on Tesla. If adding LIDAR gives those vehicles a safety advantage (compare vision with LIDAR downstream for a lower error rate), then I believe Tesla will use it. We can be fanboys, but we don't have to drink the Kool-Aid and believe every word that comes out of Elon's mouth - Tesla will never use LIDAR (e.g. driving cross-country hands-free a few years ago, etc.)
Everyone else was making gasoline cars.

This is irrelevant to LIDAR possibly being used in future Tesla Network Tesla-Owned vehicles, as is the next point about "tons of parts", and firmware updates.
Everyone else was still making cars with tons of parts, all from a slew of different suppliers- driving up costs and complexity- instead of vertically integrating and reducing # of parts whenever possible.

Everyone else requires you to come into a dealer to get any software updated on the driving side of things.

Could go on like this for a while--- but hopefully you get the point.

The key to Teslas success so far has been their not doing what everyone else is doing.
Agree in many (most?) instances that is true. Tesla's innovations in multiple areas have totally disrupted the surface transportation industry.
Correct.

Which is why they're not adding LIDAR.

If you solve vision, you get nothing additional from LIDAR.
Besides solving vision, they need to solve mud splashes, water, etc. obscuring the glass covering the sensors, not to mention snow blizzards and fog.
If you have NOT solved vision then LIDAR is just a crutch to cover up that your system sucks.
I don't think Waymo and others are morons using LIDAR, do you? I think their weakness is they do not have the real-world model training that $TSLA does from our crowd-sourced vehicles.

Let's agree to disagree on some of these issues and watch and learn what Tesla is up to on August 19 from Elon and Andrei.

Like last time, the main audience will be Wall $treet analysts. This event is mostly designed to impress them and drive up $TSLA, which I'm 100% in favor of!

Last edited:

You are correct, @StealthP3D I didn't do my LIDAR research and jumped to conclusions seeing a Model 3 test mule in early July with what appeared to be LIDAR mounted on the roof near HQ 4 years later.

I don't know for sure if what I saw and recorded on my phone was in fact, LIDAR.

What about this innovation?

Upgraded radar can enable self-driving cars to see clearly no matter the weather

Unfortunately, the UCSD researchers are now working with Toyota instead of Tesla on this.

You are correct, @StealthP3D I didn't do my LIDAR research and jumped to conclusions seeing a Model 3 test mule in early July with what appeared to be LIDAR mounted on the roof near HQ 4 years later.

I don't know for sure if what I saw and recorded on my phone was in fact, LIDAR.

What about this innovation?

Upgraded radar can enable self-driving cars to see clearly no matter the weather

Unfortunately, the UCSD researchers are now working with Toyota instead of Tesla on this.

Tesla is just using a few test mules equipped with lidar to validate the Tesla Vision 3d models. It's a good tool for doing that. Tesla has extensive lidar experience in-house (including Elon himself). They know what lidar is good for and what it's limitations are. And the limitations are numerous and fundamental.

I do not think it's unfortunate that UCSD researchers are working with Toyota instead of Tesla. Do you really think UCSD researchers have more advanced machine vision or autonomous driving ability than Tesla?