Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent Volume in the Pre-market, and over 7.4M shares in the 1st half-hr of the Main Session. This is gonna be epic:

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes​

Data last updated Aug 02, 2021 09:30 AM ET.
This page will resume updating on Aug 03, 2021 04:00 AM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$700.03 +12.83 (+1.87%)
Pre-Market Volume958,378
Pre-Market High$704.74 (08:59:50 AM)
Pre-Market Low$692 (04:00:51 AM)

Cheers!

"Now it can also holds the record of fastest electric vehicle (EV) at Laguna Seca after Randy Pobst claimed that title at the famous track this past weekend.​
"While competing at the TeslaCorsa 16 event on Sunday, the modified Model S Plaid from Unplugged Performance went around the 2.238 mile (3.602 km) track in just 1:28.213. That marks the first time an EV has officially completed a lap around Laguna Seca in under 1:30."​
Helpful Link: Laguna Seca (post 1988) lap times - FastestLaps.com
It puts the Tesla S Plaid in 2nd place of productions type cars, not bad for a 4 door 5 seater sedan 🤯. Only the McLaren Senna has a faster lap time by 0.5 seconds 😁

August 2, 2021​

"The Tesla Model S Plaid has only been out for less than two months, but has already proven itself as the fastest production car ever made. Last month it set a new world record quarter-mile time of 9.08 seconds.​
"Now it can also holds the record of fastest electric vehicle (EV) at Laguna Seca after Randy Pobst claimed that title at the famous track this past weekend.​
"While competing at the TeslaCorsa 16 event on Sunday, the modified Model S Plaid from Unplugged Performance went around the 2.238 mile (3.602 km) track in just 1:28.213. That marks the first time an EV has officially completed a lap around Laguna Seca in under 1:30."​

... and torque that makes you go "oofdah!" :D

Cheers!

well if i'm being pedantic, that opening paragraph is a little misleading. While the Plaid is absolutely bonkers and almost certainly the fastest production sedan ever made, it's inarguably not the fastest production car, at least not around Laguna Seca. For one thing, the Unplugged Performance version of the Plaid is FAR from stock - it's completely stripped, and using custom suspension, tires, aero, and software. For another, it didn't beat the production car record (set by the McLaren Senna) -- it was about a second behind it.

[note to other pedants -- i absolutely reject your incoming "fast" vs "quick" meaningless distinction. the words are synonyms. it is false that one refers to top speed and the other acceleration.]

I think $TSLA will rally prior to 2021 AI Day and sell the news afterward.
I want to thank all the Fremont Tesla owners out there who keep totaling new Teslas on easy streets with traffic control signals. Especially the super-talented ones that manage to take out another Tesla at the same time (two Tesla, one collision). Ignoring prominent traffic control signals and causing large metal objects equipped with the best early warning systems in the business to collide with one another may not be the best sign of intelligence but these are some of the highest margin sales with the lowest shipping costs of all so the extra effort is appreciated! Hopefully, Austin folks can one-up Fremont folks within a year or two!

Apparently, no one is getting seriously hurt so that's good press too. I'm saving the best award for the first Tesla driver responsible for a three Tesla collision, bonus points if it's between a S, 3, and X. Whoever manages a S, 3, X, Y four-way collision will break the Internet and create a very valuable Youtube channel.

I guess it's not surprising Tesla is struggling to keep up! Keep spreading the word, the traffic control signals are just suggestions, individual driver's are encouraged to be independent thinkers. This plays to one of human's greatest strengths - the ability to make decisions and take matters into their own hands without a machine muddling it up. ;)
LMFAO StealthP3D! My brain must be "shaken, not stirred" from the accident so I posted that LIDAR has some advantages over pure vision. :cool:

Your sarcasm is better than my similar thoughts when this happened after I realized the idiot driver did not injure me. He hit my passenger-side rear door mostly and that rear wheel. My white 2018 M3 was spun around just like a bumper car so no whiplash or anything. Now that "she-who-wakes-at-4am-to-swing-trade-some-of-our-$TSLA"[1] has approved ordering a Model Y, I'll just make Tesla Insurance pay for my "diminished value" claim and they can take our welded-frame-repaired 3 and sell it used to some unsuspecting mark.

I turned on my cell phone's voice recorder before I met the red-light-runner. This was part of our conversation (not on Youtube just here for everyone's amusement):
:
:
me: Do you have Tesla Insurance?
idiot: Yeah.
me: I have USAA. Sorry we meet under these circumstances.
idiot: Yeah. I apologize one more time.
me: We have the exact same car, you know that? Do you have dual motor, or regular?
idiot: Regular.
me: I have dual motor. How old is yours?
idiot: Just like under a year. I'm really, really sorry. I have kids in the car.
me: Where do you live?
idiot: Just a few blocks away from here.
me: Okay. I live in Fremont, too.
idiot: I'm really, really sorry. Ummm...
me: I guess you were distracted by the kids or something?
idiot: No, I'm really not really sure I'm a pretty safe driver this is my first accident ever.
me: Take it easy.
idiot: Can we call the cops?
me: Yeah. We drive the safest car in the world.
idiot: Right. I thought it's going to beep and stop it. I thought it's going to beep. It didn't.
me: Were you on Autopilot?
idiot: No, not on Autopilot.
me: Did you feel it slow you down.
idiot: Yeah. I think I slowed it down to the maximum extent I can.
me: Well, accidents happen that's why they call them accidents. Is your's driveable? Mine's still driveable.
me: Who knows? We may become the best of friends, get them fixed at the same place...

:
:

[1] The wife has two of these monitors in our master bedroom (!):
IMG_3547.JPG

New Zealand introduced a new EV subsidy on July 1st.

The results after 1 month have been "noticeable""
View attachment 690927

I had to google new zealand heavy EV to find out it means "heavy electric vehicles such as buses and trucks". I guess I should have known but the caffeine hasn't kicked in. Just in case it isn't obvious for someone else I'll leave this here.

Not to do the gift-horse thing, but anyone know what’s going on? Q2 finally sinking in? Whale? Sector rotation? Short BBQ?

This 'gift-horse' owes us about 27% before we've even caught up to macros YTD:

TSLA.YTD.2021-07-30.png

BTW, Tesla is outperforming those other 499 companies significantly, as the YTD financials show. We should be up much more than macros, not just even with them.

Cheers!

All the technical traders are getting excited. We may have a decent run.

well if i'm being pedantic, that opening paragraph is a little misleading. While the Plaid is absolutely bonkers and almost certainly the fastest production sedan ever made, it's inarguably not the fastest production car, at least not around Laguna Seca. For one thing, the Unplugged Performance version of the Plaid is FAR from stock - it's completely stripped, and using custom suspension, tires, aero, and software. For another, it didn't beat the production car record (set by the McLaren Senna) -- it was about a second behind it.

[note to other pedants -- i absolutely reject your incoming "fast" vs "quick" meaningless distinction. the words are synonyms. it is false that one refers to top speed and the other acceleration.]

Ugh, that one is a pet peeve of mine. It's usually some person who thinks they are some racing expert and use it as a "gotcha" to try and claim you don't know anything. I get the parlance in drag racing but they are relative terms anyway. Any particular car could have higher trap speeds vs ET but it could still be quick, or fast or whatever. Everything is relative.

Reactions: Pezpunk
I think $TSLA will rally prior to 2021 AI Day and sell the news afterward.

LMFAO StealthP3D! My brain must be "shaken, not stirred" from the accident so I posted that LIDAR has some advantages over pure vision. :cool:

Your sarcasm is better than my similar thoughts when this happened after I realized the idiot driver did not injure me. He hit my passenger-side rear door mostly and that rear wheel. My white 2018 M3 was spun around just like a bumper car so no whiplash or anything. Now that "she-who-wakes-at-4am-to-swing-trade-some-of-our-$TSLA"[1] has approved ordering a Model Y, I'll just make Tesla Insurance pay for my "diminished value" claim and they can take our welded-frame-repaired 3 and sell it used to some unsuspecting mark.

I turned on my cell phone's voice recorder before I met the red-light-runner. This was part of our conversation (not on Youtube just here for everyone's amusement):
:
:
me: Do you have Tesla Insurance?
me: I have USAA. Sorry we meet under these circumstances.
idiot: Yeah. I apologize one more time.
me: We have the exact same car, you know that? Do you have dual motor, or regular?
idiot: Regular.
me: I have dual motor. How old is yours?
idiot: Just like under a year. I'm really, really sorry. I have kids in the car.
me: Where do you live?
idiot: Just a few blocks away from here.
me: Okay. I live in Fremont, too.
idiot: I'm really, really sorry. Ummm...
me: I guess you were distracted by the kids or something?
idiot: No, I'm really not really sure I'm a pretty safe driver this is my first accident ever.
me: Take it easy.
idiot: Can we call the cops?
me: Yeah. We drive the safest car in the world.
idiot: Right. I thought it's going to beep and stop it. I thought it's going to beep. It didn't.
me: Were you on Autopilot?
idiot: No, not on Autopilot.
me: Did you feel it slow you down.
idiot: Yeah. I think I slowed it down to the maximum extent I can.
me: Well, accidents happen that's why they call them accidents. Is your's driveable? Mine's still driveable.
me: Who knows? We may become the best of friends, get them fixed at the same place...

:
:

[1] The wife has two of these monitors in our master bedroom (!):
View attachment 691005
OT : not sure why you call the guy an idiot. Accidents happen. Good thing you and him and his kids are fine.

This person gets it about energy storage…

Storage is a small slice of the overall pie—for now.

So I have people tell me that the Y is cannibalizing 3 sales. Does anyone have a good analysis that debunks it. I haven't gone to the time to do it myself yet.

The Y sells for $5,000 more than the 3. I wouldn't call that cannibalizing. There aren't model 3 cars sitting around unable to be sold so I guess I'd use that as well.

I'm not sure any analysis is needed for this one.

You got that note in there pretty quick. 😝 😝

EPS on the various stock sites is 1.90 and P/E is now about 380 at current price. I wonder if that triggered any buying. this Is first time I’ve noticed the higher EPS based on Q2 results.

It was actually updated on most of the sites like yahoo finance and google finance by Friday of last week.