Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got trade in quote again because of you and got $2100 more from 2 weeks ago. $47700 for 2018 3 LR AWD FSD 20k miles. I was able to swap it into my existing order. What world are we living in?
If you really want your mind blown keep in mind this is happening with Osborne Effect in full force. I would never buy a Tesla knowing a 10K discount was likely right around the corner. I'm sure there are a lot of other people just like me yet the demand for all Tesla vehicles is still through the roof.

Are you getting a new Model S?

Looks like FSD is included in the trade in value.

I end up ordering a Model S Plaid with 19" wheels. I accepted the trade-in value but it will get revaluated every 30 days which is kind of BS because the car is supposed to be delivered in March 🤣. Tesla might be baiting people to place orders with high trade-in estimates knowing that when it is time to get your car they will give you much less.

FYI Tesla is giving crazy train-in car values right now. I was just offered $7500 more than I was offered two weeks ago. $53,300 for My 2018 Model 3 Performance Stealth with 21,500k miles and FSD.

In the very early days of Model 3 production I was repeatedly slammed for suggesting the Model 3 would have industry leading resale value. They thought gas cars would maintain higher resale values as a percentage of new cost. This is a major reason why the Model 3 has a lower total cost of ownership than comparable gas cars. Yes depreciation after 5 or 6 years is a major portion of the total cost of operation/ownership.

Of course, no one has bothered to update their predictions and tell me I was absolutely correct. :rolleyes:

Of course, I wasn't waiting for it either. 😜

In the very early days of Model 3 production I was repeatedly slammed for suggesting the Model 3 would have industry leading resale value. They thought gas cars would maintain higher resale values as a percentage of new cost. This is a major reason why the Model 3 has a lower total cost of ownership than comparable gas cars. Yes depreciation after 5 or 6 years is a major portion of the total cost of operation/ownership.

Of course, no one has bothered to update their predictions and tell me I was absolutely correct. :rolleyes:

Well to be fair EVs from other brands have industry leading terrible resale value, even surpassing luxury cars.

As expected when the brand doesn't have software update, desire, and poor battery management.

So you know lumping Tesla in there is a common mistake made by everyone, from comparing stocks to comparing cars.

If you really want your mind blown keep in mind this is happening with Osborne Effect in full force. I would never buy a Tesla knowing a 10K discount was likely right around the corner. I'm sure there are a lot of other people just like me yet the demand for all Tesla vehicles is still through the roof.
Yup. It's a tidal wave force.

I have the ev credit/spending bill in the back of my mind. I'm taking full advantage of the long delivery times to see what passes and just hope it's retroactive.

At 22:20 Elon talks about one of his many mistakes. He uses the model 3 production hell as an example and specifically discusses a production chokepoint. There was a fiberglass mat on top of the batter pack that was slowing production so Elon first tries to better automate the process. Then he tried to accelerate. Then he tried to optimize.

Finally he asks the battery safety team what are these mats for? They say for noise and vibration. But Elon says you're the battery dept so he goes to noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) team and they tell him it's for fire safety. At this point Elon questions if he's in some sort of simulation and he's trapped in a dilbert cartoon.

Getting a lot more information on what Elon is talking about when he says production is difficult. This video is definitely worth watching.

[Edit] at 31:45 Elon mentions they use model 3 motors to move the grid fins. I thought that was cool.

This is great - thanks @Blue horseshoe !

Some sweet advice from a master design and production expert. In particular, I'm going to play these to the (excruciating) project team I'm struggling with that the moment:

Elon's 5-step recipe for successful product delivery!
  1. Make requirements less dumb
  2. Delete the (unnecessary) part or process
  3. Every requirement must be accountable to one person
  4. Go faster ("Accelerate cycle time")
  5. Automate

I end up ordering a Model S Plaid with 19" wheels. I accepted the trade-in value but it will get revaluated every 30 days which is kind of BS because the car is supposed to be delivered in March 🤣. Tesla might be baiting people to place orders with high trade-in estimates knowing that when it is time to get your car they will give you much less.
Congrats! Well, some revaluation for usage between now and actual trade-in would be understandable?

Reactions: Tim S
Checked my trade-in value from Tesla and I am super-tempted to order a MY! Is the trade-in price locked in some way? Don’t want 40k to turn into 32k by Dec...
Locked when you order AND if you don't go beyond 1000 miles from what the quote was made from. With remote work, I think i can stretch my mileage to my deliver time (and hopefully get into a very advantageous ev credit, whatever that may be).

Feel free to use my mantra line. Use large font, capitalization and other font enhancers at your own discretion.

Wait. Seriously let me get this straight. Tesla will give you a quote on your used vehicle and lock it in until your new car is delivered???

Oh, my.
So long as you put less than 1,000 miles on it between the quote and delivery. I believe that's the only stipulation.

Don't be confused by the FY22-Q1 terminology: that refers to Panasonic Japan's fiscal year.

Sounds like at least some new supply coming online at Giga Nevada, most likely 2170 cells:

"According to the Japanese tech conglomerate, it would be looking to reach a capacity of 38-39 GWh once its new production line is installed in its North American site."​

Cheers!

Tesla is advertising Tesla electricity in Bavaria.

My excitement was curbed when the link sent me to octopus energy. I am not sure, what association they have with Tesla.

1628089221726.png

Powerwall users only.

GM was already losing $10k on every Bolt sold, and now they just announced an $800M charge for the recall. Something tells me they're lying about wanting to go 'all in on EVs'. They'll just keep coming up with excuses to delay.
Well..

But.....

So....
I guess GM wont delay the EV rollout because by 2030, the chip shortage will no longer be relevant? like GM? :D :D :D :D :D