Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think he means somehow if rebate passes to exclude Tesla completely as a manufacturer.

Not a single one of the half dozen proposals in congress in the last year or two would do anything even remotely like that- so that sounds like pretty FUDtacuar unfounded speculation to me.

The absolute most "anti tesla" version still adds a $10,000 tax credit for Tesla customers, compared to todays $0.00 credit.

Yeah, I was alarmed at his obvious discomfort. People with Elon’s drive to accomplish all things yesterday while feeling the weight of the world is on them generally don’t listen to their bodies because it would slow them down. I hope he realizes his health is a critical aspect of meeting his objectives long term…
When Biden was running for President decades ago he pressed ahead during the primaries despite pain in his head. After he withdrew he sought medical attention and learned he had an aneurism that required surgery. He said later that if he hadn't failed when he did during the primaries he would have died. People need to take care of themselves even if they have other important things to do.

His back and neck are a mess, he's also limping. His body is trying to compensate for the pain he is in.
Not good.
He needs treatment and rest. It looks to me he's about reached his limit for normal function. I would think his doctors are not happy he is pushing so hard. Elon's one tough SOB though, so probably not listening to the professionals.
I certainly don’t know his situation, but I am familiar with back issues, having dealt with disk problems for 30+ years (as a patient). It could be significant, or it might not be. I also wouldn’t guess what his docs would be advising. You might be surprised. I agree and am grateful for his attitude, and I wish him well (pun intended).

Management said they will build the Texas Model Y as soon as the lines are ready, if they don't have 4680 cells they will use 2170's. I think the Cybertruck delay, if you can call it that, is simply that Tesla isn't going to try to ramp two vehicles in one plant at the same time.
Yes, you’re right that management said that. IMO Tesla doesn’t want the 2170 “backup plan” to go too far. I suspect committing to the CT after MY buys more schedule margin and helps guarantee CT uses 4680s.

Yes, you’re right that management said that. IMO Tesla doesn’t want the 2170 “backup plan” to go too far. I suspect committing to the CT after MY buys more schedule margin and helps guarantee CT uses 4680s.

I believe the backup plan to use 2170 cells if 4680 weren't ready applied only to the Model Y, not the Cybertruck. It might be difficult to fit enough 2170 cells to provide a 500+ mile range on a heavy vehicle having wheels as large as Cybertruck.

I believe the backup plan to use 2170 cells if 4680 weren't ready applied only to the Model Y, not the Cybertruck. It might be difficult to fit enough 2170 cells to provide a 500+ mile range on a heavy vehicle having wheels as large as Cybertruck.
A lot of this is just sensible risk management...

The last thing Tesla needs is 3 "production hell" type product ramps at the same time...
Model Y production being decoupled from 4680 means they can get packs for every car they make especially in the initial stages of low volume production..
Once they get 4680 production ramped, there is a very good chance Model Y bodies are ready to take the packs...
Finally when they are ramping Cybertruck, they know the 4680 packs will be ready.
When ramping 4680 in Berlin, they know they got it working in Austin.

Apart from the size/weight, 2170s cells might be a challenge for the pricing of the Cybertruck, the prices listed seem to assume 4680s.

Last edited:
Why not 4680's (from Kato Rd) exclusively in Performance MY, 2170's in Long Range MY until 4680's ramp. All North American Performance MY made in Austin (ship the batteries). Or, all North American Performance MY made in Fremont (ship the front castings). Europe could have a similar split with Made in Berlin Performance MY using imported 4680's and Long Range MY from China. This should keep margins high with the higher price Performance models.

Today is the 3rd anniversary of the infamous "funding secured" tweet about taking Tesla private. I'm glad that didn't happen.
If Elon had found a way to take TSLA private while keeping small investors in, as he intended, we might not have been on this manic depressive roller coaster. Our stakes could grow 50% a year in line with the fundamentals of the business. Imagine being able to celebrate a good earnings report without the bitter taste of the shenanigans of the market. I would much prefer that.

On the customer service issue, I wish there was an executive reporting to Elon <snip>...
While I too would like to see this, I doubt it would make much difference. I sent a certified letter to Elon's office regarding the damage done to my less than one month old vehicle (at the time) while in the possession of the service center and I have yet to receive a reply.

I also requested several times through my current (different) service center that Tesla Corporate contact me to discuss the issue. To date I have had no communication whatsoever. The letter to Elon was delivered back in May.

While Tesla is selling every single one of their vehicles, I don't believe customer service is a priority for them, which really is a shame. Yes, there are some good service center's out there as in the case of my current one, but Tesla at a corporate level need to pull their heads out of the sand and start treating their customer's with respect as they are the ones in my opinion who are tarnishing their own brand.

His back and neck are a mess, he's also limping. His body is trying to compensate for the pain he is in.
Not good.
He needs treatment and rest. It looks to me he's about reached his limit for normal function. I would think his doctors are not happy he is pushing so hard. Elon's one tough SOB though, so probably not listening to the professionals.
He's pretty overweight too, at least by European standards and would do himself a big favour to clean up his diet, and allocate some time in the gym - our species needs this man healthy and to live a long, long time

Better diet and exercise would also improve help Elon's cognitive processes

I think the Cybertruck delay, if you can call it that, is simply that Tesla isn't going to try to ramp two vehicles in one plant at the same time.
They can start Y and 4680 in TX. They can start CT in CA with an experienced crew and transfer to TX when appropriate. CT has no impact on the paint shop. They have 4680 running already. They are already making the tri-motor drive units. It would go more smoothly if they start it up Q2 in TX after Berlin has started rolling also IMO.

Reactions: gillfoto
I don’t see how you could argue that Tesla doesn’t have a technology advantage in energy. What about autobidder and their battery advantages, vertical integration and brand dominance.
Whats so unique about autobidder? I'm currently going through planning permission to build a small 1MW solar farm with 500kwh stationary storage. I have a contract with a company called gridserve to handle power pricing arbitrage for me here in the UK. Basically autobidder.
AFAIK that company is just 3 people. A UK startup.
There is nothing patented or secret about what autobidder does. I suspect every single major storage provider has similar software. The one I'll be using is called GridIMP.

There is some hope that Tesla customer service might improve with scale and experience.

• More delivery centres, unwinding the wave.
  • More service centres and mobile service, improved quality, more experience.
  • Similar on the energy side, improved products, more staff, more experience.
  • As the business gets bigger, growth slows.
  • More recurring revenue means less pressure to be lean and mean in all areas.
The other part of the equation is priorities, motivation and culture, that can't change less customer service is made a priority.

Overall I expect slow gradual improvement and it will remain a problem until it becomes a priority.
I see a lot of improvements in the last year. At first when the communication channel transitioned to being 100% through the Tesla app, it was a bit unclear how to contact service, which caused some months of confusion. Now we know that if you need service, you book an appointment, Tesla triage the request and contact you back, usually same day, then if possible solve with a Ranger appointment (or remote diagnostic). I had one booked last week on Friday for a loose wheel-arch trim, got a call on Thursday from the Ranger who "had some spare time, was in the area and could pass by, do it today", to which my answer was "sure!"

Since when did things like this ever get resolved sooner than planned, it's top-notch service, and having the foresight to have the necessary parts in the ranger's car (MCRed P85) ahead of time is smart

I also suspect that we here in this forum have probably experienced the worst of Tesla Service in the past, not least because many of us were early adopters, early build cars which needed some attention more than would be considered normal, also during the period when the company was scaling fast and through long periods of parts shortages, so our perceptions are skewed somewhat negatively. On Twitter, I interact with a lot of Tesla owners who've bought their car in the last three years and other than accident repairs, seems very few require any service these days. The build quality of the cars is way ahead of where it was

@FireMedic , What does he say at 0:35?? Sounds like "...consistently hearing noxoffs" of energy and a reason not to grow that side of the business too much..."??
... hearing losses of energy too which is an extra incentive ...
He's pretty overweight too, at least by European standards and would do himself a big favour to clean up his diet, and allocate some time in the gym - our species needs this man healthy and to live a long, long time

Better diet and exercise would also improve help Elon's cognitive processes
improve help Elon's cognitive processes
? :p