Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. Any bubba with $25K can buy a Bowtie 572 Inch crate motor with 700 horse, and stuff it into their 1968 Nova with 4-wheel drum brakes... :/

This isn't new. Demuro is scare-mongering for clicks. That's also not new.
Or anyone with $15K can buy a brand new Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R which has over 200 hp yet weighs less than 600 pounds. It will also do 1/4 mile in the 9s. Seems silly to suggest this is a unique thing to Tesla to offer a dangerously fast vehicle that non-millionaires can afford. BUT, rest assured that any high-speed Plaid crashes will be irresponsibly over reported by the media.

Just for clarity-- this new investigation is not the NTSB.

It's the NHTSA.

Which does have regulatory authority.
What NHTSA is doing is good. They have a role to play and so does Tesla. As long as both act in good faith and are not negligent, the process of regulation is working.

Regulation provides a good amount of liability cover. Regulation works with processes and data. Tesla should have both. Tesla is likely to have far better knowledge of the actual performance of their product than ANY other automaker.

Tesla is likely to be able to show they have a process that captures potential safety events, a process of investigation and a method of corrective action with data that statistically monitors results. They even publish results. This is representative of an extraordinary quality process for the automotive industry IMO.

What NHTSA is doing is good. They have a role to play and so does Tesla. As long as both act in good faith and are not negligent, the process of regulation is working.

Regulation provides a good amount of liability cover. Regulation works with processes and data. Tesla should have both. Tesla is likely to have far better knowledge of the actual performance of their product than ANY other automaker.

Tesla is likely to be able to show they have a process that captures potential safety events, a process of investigation and a method of corrective action with data that statistically monitors results. They even publish results. This is representative of an extraordinary quality process for the automotive industry IMO.
I agree with your last two paragraphs, but the NHTSA is not working in good faith. There is no data to support even a preliminary investigation.

The specific analysis has been posted elsewhere (Tesla Daily did a good job), but regardless of whether you're looking at the overall frequency of accidents involving emergency vehicles or the obvious contributing factors that led to the specific accidents being investigated, it's extremely clear that regulatory authority is being weaponized in this case.

Also, from my understanding, the metric for improvements is the number of disengage/km.
I imagine that ultimately there are more metrics than this. Maybe:
  • disengagements/km
  • average speed achieved (no point in autonomy if its 1km/hour everywhere)
  • smoothness of ride
  • percentage of assumptions that proved true (such as predicting the car in front is about to brake, or a partially obscured sign did turn out to indeed be a stop sign as guessed.
  • collisions/km driven
  • average speed of a collision, when they happen
  • number of vulnerable road users hit in a collision
I guess they talk about the first one because thats the one thats still obviously too high. And as autopilot miles driven / all miles driven goes up, we will see more of the other metrics become noticeable.

TBH, great though FSD sounds, I'm hoping they get their act together on the semi. A semi with decent autonomy on highways could vastly improve the safety and efficiency for trucking companies, meaning way fewer ICE miles driven. I suspect autonomy only on highways for semis will become legal (and marketable as such) way before FSD on city streets.
They need to get some semis made, and driving around collecting data from a semi POV asap.

I agree with your last two paragraphs, but the NHTSA is not working in good faith. There is no data to support even a preliminary investigation.

The specific analysis has been posted elsewhere (Tesla Daily did a good job), but regardless of whether you're looking at the overall frequency of accidents involving emergency vehicles or the obvious contributing factors that led to the specific accidents being investigated, it's extremely clear that regulatory authority is being weaponized in this case.
I think you're right, if a few Fords using crappy cruise, or whatever it's called, had hit a few Firetrucks/Ambulances over a period of time, we'd not have even been aware of it happening. :(

With the July chart showing Tesla China domestic sale dropping huge vs. June to match volume of N, X, and L, it makes sense why did Tesla chose to feather their local sale to that particular level and export the rest of production.

Reminds me of the Plaid on the drag strip that was aiming to be just one bumper ahead of the competition at the finish line for giggles.

Message to newbies. If you aren't already reading it, @Papafox has a daily update here:
Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts
If you only read one post a day - make it this one. No replies in thread please.

View attachment 698051
TSLA chart above

View attachment 698053
QQQ chart above

Tuesday was day 2 of the mystery dip. The NHSTA autopilot investigation story just didn't warrant anywhere near this level of dip. We learned today that Model 3 production commenced again on Monday, so the Sawyer Merritt story of the weekend stoppage was not the cause either. China EV stocks sank on Monday and both Ford and GM sank on Tuesday, but those events don't explain TSLA's trading by themselves. Nor do I think that some whale of a investment organization was simply trimming TSLA shares. Monday morning's dip was far too steep for that explanation to make sense, nor would we have seen Monday afternoon's capping to keep TSLA level as the NASDAQ recovered. A big investor would be more subtle in order to avoid the kind of price degradation we've seen in the past two days.

Another indication that someone was trying to push TSLA down (rather than someone was just unloading shares) was that around 1:50pm TSLA actually sank below 650 for a few minutes. Touching 650 would activation stop-losses set at this amount, and I don't think a seller would want to do that.

Instead, I think we're seeing an old fashioned bear raid,, similar to what we saw in earlier days. Don't ask me who is the instigator, but I can tell you that the NHTSA investigation is the necessary fear-inducing catalyst to distract from the real source of the dip. During a big dip event, hedge funds will short on the way down and cover near the bottom to profit from the dip, and I have no doubt that they made some bucks from this dip too. The involvement of hedge funds doesn't explain some of the other oddities of the dip, however, such as Monday afternoon's capping while the NASDAQ rose.

Why would the event take place early this week? One explanation is that TSLA is poised to pop higher. Many technical traders have been drawing charts to predict what comes next. In today's TMC main investors' forum, @Paracelsus in this post offered a chart with a downtrend of the past 6 months and the uptrend of the past 2 years creating a pennant (triangle) with a tip where the stock will likely break up or down. When TSLA reached the tip of the pennant, it continued to follow the uptrend line, a trajectory that someone didn't like and wished to suggest a different direction of movement. Other charts I've seen have been very similar to this one. With the 50 day moving average about to do the Golden Cross through the 200 day moving average, and with AI Day on Thursday, these potential catalysts when added to the the pennant resolution could easily send TSLA higher. And so someone has decided to redraw the technical chart of TSLA's trading, at least temporarily, to try to fool the market into believing that TSLA is about to break lower. One possibility could be that a big buyer wishes to accumulate TSLA at a good price prior to the break upward. As for market makers, let's see where TSLA closes on Friday. A close near the present max pain number of 685 would suggest their involvement in the mischief.

Fortunately,. TSLA showed a climbing trend after 1:45pm Tuesday, a climb that was steeper than the NASDAQ's. The dip may have played out. Let's see how the macros treat TSLA Wednesday morning.

News:
* Goldman-Sachs reiterated TSLA buy rating
* Cramer is saying "Buy TSLA"

View attachment 698055
10 year treasury bond yields are almost down to 1.25% again, which is postive for high growth stocks like TSLA

View attachment 698054
Our old friend the 200 day moving average provided support today as the stock price closed just above it

Conditions:
* Dow down 282 (0.79%)
* NASDAQ down 138 (0.93%)
* SPY down 3 (0.66%)
* TSLA 665.71, down 20.46 (2.98%)
* TSLA volume 22.9M shares
* Oil 66.64
* Percent of TSLA selling tagged to shorts: 39%
* IV 45.9, 6%

Yep - it's great to have this constant reminder that the market in general and especially TSLA is hugely manipulated. Tesla (SpaceX, the cryptos, .. ) is one of the few disruptors "for good" that does not benefit the established powers that be - so it is not surprising there is so much firepower directed against it.
What really is painful to contemplate is that the many small investors are getting fleeced - it takes some fortitude to stay the course in such and environment.

On the bright side, those investors who understand and support Tesla's mission are less affected, and ultimately rewarded so this is a sort of survival of the less mainstream brainwashed. I wont mention the other major brainwashing that is happening and has enriched the usual top percenters.

This has been going on forever, for sure, but now at such a huge scale, amplified by our technology

" 1988 Everybody knows - right after the first major crash tech induced too" by the first trading algos, not too smart yet.

Steven Mark Ryan paraphrased: "Should Tesla fight back? No, it's a complete and utter waste of time and resources. As long as Tesla sells every single car they can make (and they will for years to come), FUD is irrelevant to Tesla's mission. It might hurt the stock price in the ultrashort term, but it's irrelevant over the time horizons of real investors."

Max Pain update is now out based on yesterday's Options data:

Max Pain is $680.00 for this week's Options expiries.
"CP Brkpt” is $685.00 (my experimental "Call - Put" break-even metric)

But the real changes are for Options expiring next week: (Aug 27, 2021)

TSLA.OI.Table.2021-08-18.07-00.png

Both max # of open Calls and Puts has now converged at the $700 Strike price, and with +35% volume in a single day. I'd guess this means the Market is thinking about 700 for Post AI day.

Not advice.

Steven Mark Ryan paraphrased: "Should Tesla fight back? No, it's a complete and utter waste of time and resources. As long as Tesla sells every single car they can make (and they will for years to come), FUD is irrelevant to Tesla's mission. It might hurt the stock price in the ultrashort term, but it's irrelevant over the time horizons of real investors."
He has a history to agree or copy every single Elon Musk's opinion.

I think Elon is wrong in this case. While they can sell all their tiny production now, it's not as easy when they are making 10 million cars a year. Hardcore fans know when FUD is just FUD, but ordinary customers might get a negative impression of Tesla. If fighting FUD is as easy as showing one chart which proves that Teslas have less accidents than others and even less when autopilot is on, why not answer the FUD with that? It wouldn't take time nor resources to do it.

Many camp sites, restaurants parks and parking lots have power that have allowed us to do dozens of mountain trips.
I've done a fair bit of mountain vacationing in WV. As you point out, there are a surprisingly good number of destination chargers in the state parks. I think that if your trip is to just drive through the mountains (scenic driving) then maybe there is an issue. But if you stop and park your car to go hiking/picnic, rafting, whatever then it's reasonably easy to (slow) charge while you're doing that.

I think Elon is wrong in this case. While they can sell all their tiny production now, it's not as easy when they are making 10 million cars a year. Hardcore fans know when FUD is just FUD, but ordinary customers might get a negative impression of Tesla. If fighting FUD is as easy as showing one chart which proves that Teslas have less accidents than others and even less when autopilot is on, why not answer the FUD with that? It wouldn't take time nor resources to do it.

Tesla is already publishing these charts, every quarter for some years already.

And still you ignore that and spread the FUD exactly the same way the media does it - by ignoring what you don't like and repeating what suits you.
Everything that "we at TMC" know, media could also knew and share. If they only chose to invest a tiny bit of attention, but mostly, if they were here to inform the public.

Any additional response to their fakery means additional consummation of limited resources.
Tesla's mission is not to become the biggest EV automaker. If some other manages to sell 20M EVs and Tesla only 10M, that is just fine, mission accomplished.

You are free to try to inform the media where they got it wrong. And good luck with that...

Not shocking.

View attachment 698101

I was actually.

Expected the gap from superchargers to everything else to be significantly larger.

But I suspect the issue might be most of the respondents don't have comparative experiences to reflect that.

I got a ride in a plaid last night. The car is just beautiful, really feels like the next evolution for Tesla. Interior and build quality are excellent. The speed though...I've never experienced anything remotely like that. Launching my P3 is pretty relaxing, by contrast the plaid in launch mode hurts and was legit scary.

Investment thesis confirmed. Are we sure Elon's Dad didn't find a crashed alien spaceship in that emerald mine? o_O

I was actually.

Expected the gap from superchargers to everything else to be significantly larger.

But I suspect the issue might be most of the respondents don't have comparative experiences to reflect that.

I think the numbers are spot on.

Next year we should see numbers include non-Tesla owners/cars charging on the Supercharger network and how that compares to CCS networks. In other words how well Superchargers/Tesla App interface with non-Tesla cars.

I'm in the Gary Black camp here. People are stupid. Once they make up their minds it's really hard to change them. Some small investment in maintenance of the brand would be prudent. Selling every car they can make today is not relevant.