Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom if you want some spine-chilling possibilities.
(e.g., humanity=πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚)

I should have phrased that differently. I understand why he's concerned but I couldn't understand why he was pushing it into the public consciousness so often over the last couple of years. Now it makes more sense.

Do most of these inventory cars have 21" wheels? The only 2 Plaids in the NW (Portland) have 21" wheels. Maybe Tesla over-produced the 21's. I notice on the online configurator that the range goes from 396 miles with the 19's down to 348 miles with the 21's. That a loss of 48 miles of range just to look like a peacock! Plus they add $4,500 above the cost of the 19" wheels! What am I missing? Does the wheel upgrade get people better brakes or suspension? Otherwise that's a painful price to pay (especially the loss of over 10% of your range/efficiency).

As a shareholder I should probably be quiet about this because that's a hell of a nice boost to margins!
Well we don't always agree on everything but this is the POTD. Losing 48 miles of range to look like a peacock. Perfectly said! And yes, we should shut up about it. Crazy price to pay...peacocks ..what can you say.

The dancing guy in a suit . No.

Once spent a day attending a psychology class and one of the concepts was β€œgestalt theory”. If memory serves, Gestalt is the difference between what you imagine the world or situation should be like and what you see around you. It’s this jarring delta that motivates us to do stuff to fix the misalignment between the two.

Most people on this forum can imagine a world without exhaust pipes and chimney stacks. This provides motivation to fix it. Buy TSLA stock, tell friends about EVs etc.

If one’s goal is to inspire AI talent to join the team and build a humanoid robot, you have to start by painting a picture to their imaginations of what the finished product looks like and is capable of. Using words only, or only a static pic, people would picture whirring Atlas from Boston Dynamics, or Honda’s little Asimov.

The dancing guy in a suit, sure it was naff, but it served a vital purpose.

Two questions:

Were you with the journalist when he couldn't engage autopilot?
Why wouldn't it engage?

1) Yes, I was in the passenger seat.

2) Autopilot would not engaged when he attempted. He operated it correctly. At first, I drove us and the photographer around and demonstrated autopilot. Later in the day, with the journalist behind the yoke, autopilot would not engage. We stopped, parked, and even rebooted the car. Similarly, during my drive home, autopilot would not engage. Tesla Service later found moisture inside a sensor housing and repaired it. This is my third Tesla with FSD. Had I any indication that something was amiss, I would have postponed the meeting. It was unfortunate and disappointing.

Last edited:
The Norwegians are breaking the system again. It's 3am and there is already 73 Teslas (14 model 3 and 59 model Y) sold today. That's on top of 289 yesterday.

Ok, that's probably 'overflow' from yesterday putting that number at 289+73=362. While the record is 587 I believe there's only been a few days ever higher than 362. Still a lot of model Y left to deliver. Very likely to be best second month of quarter ever.

Edit: scratch that, at 3:22 am they are up to 82 for today. Someone at the registry is working very late. Need to check in the morning what they ended up with.

Last edited:
Do most of these inventory cars have 21" wheels? The only 2 Plaids in the NW (Portland) have 21" wheels. Maybe Tesla over-produced the 21's. I notice on the online configurator that the range goes from 396 miles with the 19's down to 348 miles with the 21's. That a loss of 48 miles of range just to look like a peacock! Plus they add $4,500 above the cost of the 19" wheels! What am I missing? Does the wheel upgrade get people better brakes or suspension? Otherwise that's a painful price to pay (especially the loss of over 10% of your range/efficiency).

As a shareholder I should probably be quiet about this because that's a hell of a nice boost to margins!
wider tire- more firm ride (probably another negative) but... better handling especially at high speed which one would presume is going to happen in a plaid.

Once spent a day attending a psychology class and one of the concepts was β€œgestalt theory”. If memory serves, Gestalt is the difference between what you imagine the world or situation should be like and what you see around you. It’s this jarring delta that motivates us to do stuff to fix the misalignment between the two.

Most people on this forum can imagine a world without exhaust pipes and chimney stacks. This provides motivation to fix it. Buy TSLA stock, tell friends about EVs etc.

If one’s goal is to inspire AI talent to join the team and build a humanoid robot, you have to start by painting a picture to their imaginations of what the finished product looks like and is capable of. Using words only, or only a static pic, people would picture whirring Atlas from Boston Dynamics, or Honda’s little Asimov.

The dancing guy in a suit, sure it was naff, but it served a vital purpose.

I've been trying to wrap my head around Karl Friston for about 4 years now. Elon is so far out on the edge that he's been forced to do a lot of crap that he had no inclination would be required to drag us forward. Free energy is powerful stuff......we see that every day now that we're deep into the Information Age.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike Ambler
OT
Had a patient with shoulder problem in my office yesterday morning,
He said he had to be able to work till the Tesla Bot could start doing his roofing job.
Then, I told him the stock had just rose about 3%.

and then it opened a 1 hour discussion about Cybertruck, stock price projections, Elon musk achievement on this planet and the ones to come, his experience in travelling in 82 countries and working in 5 of them, how we could improve the world, etc, etc…

I had 45 minutes delay I was able to catch before lunch break but it was all worth it.

Totally not investing advice, the stock price will be $2000 once the first Cybertruck are wild in the streets and everyone start seeing one and ordering one and it becomes the best selling vehicle on the planet. I loved his take on that and it made my day.

my new treatment recommendation for shoulder problems will be Β« Buy a Tesla bot. Β»

Last edited:
OT
Had a patient with shoulder problem in my office yesterday morning,
He said he had to be able to work till the Tesla Bot could start doing his roofing job.
Then, I told him the stock had just rose about 3%.

and then it opened a 1 hour discussion about Cybertruck, stock price projections, Elon musk achievement on this planet and the ones to come, his experience in travelling in 82 countries and working in 5 of them, how we could improve the world, etc, etc…

I had 45 minutes delay I was able to catch before lunch break but it was all worth it.

Totally not investing advice, the stock price will be $2000 once the first Cybertruck are wild in the streets and everyone start seeing one and ordering one ans it becomes the best selling vehicle on the planet. I loved his take on that and it made my day.

my new treatment recommendation for shoulder problems will be Β« Buy a Tesla bot. Β»
Seems like good advice. I was thinking about systematic errors that I make today. One is that I favor ergonomics over aesthetics. So I see the robot and historic Tesla/Musk strategies as a way to fix that.

Think "Oh no! Star Trek: The Cage."

Elon made Teslas beautiful with some help.
That means this robot needs to be humanoid, even if it is hard. It does not need to be strong, but it cannot be disfigured.

It only works if market acceptance is huge.

There is a guy named Henry Dreyfuss who had a library wall full of books on humans. His team condensed that wall of books into something called HumanScale.

HumanScale should be the rest of the Tesla Robot specification. They showed the strength of a fit 70 year old - to make it not scary.

The other part of the spec is humanoid - to make it not scary.

Humanoid means HumanScale.
IMG_1788.jpg
IMG_1789.jpg
IMG_1790.jpg

This is meant to be a bit of a hat tip to the people who did all this work - even the people who wrote the books on the walls.

wider tire- more firm ride (probably another negative) but... better handling especially at high speed which one would presume is going to happen in a plaid.

Are you saying Unplugged Performance and Randy Pobst don't know what they are doing when they selected 19" forged racing wheels for the Plaid to win their class at Pikes Peak? The Exhibition Class they entered is anything goes so they could have chosen any wheel/tire combo they wanted. Do you know why race cars that win races never have low profile tires including Formula 1 and NASCAR?

Yeah, because low profile tires don't handle better at high speed. It's for looks.