Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now you’re sounding like the tinfoil hatters you often critique…

But yes, Mr. Toyoda was a little quick to reveal his agenda, dontcha think?
Personal opinion is that Mr. Toyoda is getting a bit on in years and isn't as sharp as he was thirty years ago.

Bozos will be a footnote in history compared to Elon.

Everyone else will be a footnote compared to Elon.

Probably the 1st human to be seen as a true savior of humanity. Someone will make a church in his name and use the legal loopholes that churches for fictitious stories used to gain financial power in the past and present.

The future will be weirder than we can imagine, for sure.

.5 /s 😁

Now you’re sounding like the tinfoil hatters you often critique…

But yes, Mr. Toyoda was a little quick to reveal his agenda, dontcha think?
Ha, true. However I have never seen a company so quickly shut down an entire division not even for the right reason.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with taking shot at autonomous driving and sounds more like he never liked the idea in his own company and gave a team a very short leash..decided to pull the plug after the first sign of mistake just to prove himself right.

Ha, true. However I have never seen a company so quickly shut down an entire division not even for the right reason.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with taking shot at autonomous driving and sounds more like he never liked the idea in his own company and gave a team a very short leash..decided to pull the plug after the first sign of mistake just to prove himself right.

It could be.

I won’t go as far to suggest sabotage - though it HAS to be in the playbook for someone desperate enough, but legacy automakers are about to be obsoleted both by EV tech and autonomy and it must be clear to them they will not be able to compete with Tesla head-on.

The options are shrinking rapidly. Nothing can slow Tesla down except public policy, so almost better to try to cast doubt on safety of the tech, whether batteries or autonomy, even if it’s undermining the work of your own people. This is about survival. EVERYONE except for Tesla needs more time to survive.

An F-150 Lightning commercial popped up today on Bloomberg and I couldn't help but that to myself that no one was gonna buy it. Poorly conceived. I don't think CT is the big threat as it'll be a fringe product, but the likes of Rivian or others will likely end up crushing the F-150. Sad. (kind of)
Bookmarked, and will remind you in 1.5 to 2 years, depending on ramp speed, how your “fringe product“ comment was hilarious.

An F-150 Lightning commercial popped up today on Bloomberg and I couldn't help but that to myself that no one was gonna buy it. Poorly conceived. I don't think CT is the big threat as it'll be a fringe product, but the likes of Rivian or others will likely end up crushing the F-150. Sad. (kind of)
Both the Ford and Cybertruck will sell as many as they can make.

So Tesla paved the way and answered a lot of uncertainties. These questions below were very much debatable and heavily leaned toward NO a decade ago. Remember the higher the uncertainty, the higher the return(also higher the risk).

1. Can electric cars be profitable? YES
2. Is there a demand for electric cars? YES
3. Is the government helping the push toward EVs? YES
4. Is climate change really a big deal? Yes because everything is on fire or flooded.
Items 1 and 2 are only specific to Tesla at this point in time. This does not guarranty these statements will be true of others, now, or in the near future (will take several years if at all).

Have a good weekend y'all!!!

1630106471640.png

Items 1 and 2 are only specific to Tesla at this point in time. This does not guarranty these statements will be true of others, now, or in the near future (will take several years if at all).
Yes, however I am talking about how wall street asses risk. There was once a time when the street didn't think it was possible FOR ANY COMPANY to make a profitable EV or create enough demand. Now those are known factors (as long as they execute as well or better than Tesla). The execution part is suspect, but the risk of not knowing the possibility was taken off the table. Plus it's now easier since battery packs are much cheaper than from 2012 so as long as the companies can get mass production right, they should be able to make a profit. It doesn't take much for NIO to almost break even.

All these new start ups also have way more time with their mass infusion of cash vs Tesla of the past, plus no financial crisis to deal with. Tesla did the best with the worst possible cards they were dealt. All these new companies have it pretty easy.

Last edited:
Yes, however I am talking about how wall street asses risk. There was once a time when the street didn't think it was possible FOR ANY COMPANY to make a profitable EV or create enough demand. Now those are known factors (as long as they execute as well or better than Tesla). The execution part is suspect, but the risk of not knowing the possibility was taken off the table. Plus it's now easier since battery packs are much cheaper than from 2012 so as long as the companies can get mass production right, they should be able to make a profit. It doesn't take much for NIO to almost break even.
Wall Street doesn't think so. Revenues and Earnings trending down.
Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 7.36.49 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Wall Street doesn't think so. Revenues and Earnings trending down.
View attachment 702296
I don't see their revenue trending down for 2021. Last Q EPS, -0.07 which is the highest it has ever been, very close to breaking even.

Max pain is a crude approximation: it is skewed by including many contracts at strike prices that are outside the range of possible end-of-week SP finishes. For example, the $1 puts that show up in the 10s of thousands on big expiry dates aren't serious puts: they are created to lower the margin requirements for OTM calls, and thus are evidence of an underlying BULLISH position (not advice - ask a Pro).
And the pain associated with those $1 puts changes not at all across all closing prices ranging from the current price all the way down to $1. Thus they have no "skewing" effect at all on the max pain calculation. Owners of $1 puts will experience the full "pain" of them expiring worthless whether the stock closes at $1000, $700, $200, $5, $2, $1.5 or $1. So unless the max-pain calculation yields $1 or less (it won't ever be because there aren't any $1 calls who's pain would counter-balance the joy of the $1 put holders should the price close below $1), they have no effect at all on max pain.