Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon tweeted large pouch cells are dangerous. . This is as evident by the GM Bolt recall due to fire and explosion. I’m not sure how many OEMs are using this form factor but perhaps many.
Like I have said before, quoting Linus Torvalds:
Those who don’t understand Teslas are condemned to reimplement Teslas poorly

Which we again see here. If you don’t understand exactly why Tesla did x many years ago, you will find out in the future… Now they see why Tesla did the hard thing and went cylindrical cells rather than pouch. Like they saw with Autopilot hardware and OTA on every car, with supercharging network, with inhouse batteries… Which they will see with Radar, 4D labeling, gigacasting etc.

I can see Tesla charging €0.59-€0.79 / kWh (compared with SuC €0.40 for Teslas) as do the other high-speed providers such as Ionity or Fastned

German Pespective here - but we have the highest kwh prices worldwide anyway - so:

The latest overview of prices in Germany for all Companies is here, sorry for german, but should be understandable still:

ladekartenkompass_Juli21_horizontal-1068x624.png

"Tarif OHNE Fixkosten" means w/o subscription
"Tarif MIT Fixkosten" means with subscription charges.

The important part is the last line with EnBW offering a monthly subscription of 5,99€ for low fees per kwh below Tesla current rates in Germany.

So imho Tesla can either offer non subscription cost model with slightly higher prices per kwh or a 5-10€/month subscription with same costs as currently around 40ct/kwh.

I would personally prefer to having a subscription model of 9,99€/month with the same costs as Tesla owners per kwh - this would help Tesla build out the network and keep pricing-structure simple for all parties - I would maybe ad a sign-up fee around 20€ that gets waived if you subscribe to a 12 or 24 month term contract.

Last edited:

Which we again see here. If you don’t understand exactly why Tesla did x many years ago, you will find out in the future… Now they see why Tesla did the hard thing and went cylindrical cells rather than pouch. Like they saw with Autopilot hardware and OTA on every car, with supercharging network, with inhouse batteries… Which they will see with Radar, 4D labeling, gigacasting etc.

Elon tweeted large pouch cells are dangerous. . This is as evident by the GM Bolt recall due to fire and explosion. I’m not sure how many OEMs are using this form factor but perhaps many.
Quote from article below: “General Motors said it could cost as much as $1.8 billion.

At the time, GM had offered to replace all the battery cells in recalled cars, but that effort has been paused as the company worries that its battery supplier, LG, can't make "defect-free" products.

I take this to imply GM kind of agree that large pouch cells may be inherently dangerous.

Don't tell some posters that Elon says large pouch are dangerous. They will tell you it is dendrites or x, or y. In the meantime pouches are failing in every application ...constantly. I'm not even an engineer and I think I was able to draw that correlation and make the conclusion that all that GM investment in a large pouch battery form...is problematic. Typical GM

German Pespective here - but we have the highest kwh prices worldwide anyway - so:

The latest overview of prices in Germany for all Companies is here, sorry for german, but should be understandable still:

ladekartenkompass_Juli21_horizontal-1068x624.png

"Tarif OHNE Fixkosten" means w/o subscription
"Tarif MIT Fixkosten" means with subscription charges.

The important part is the last line with EnBW offering a monthly subscription of 5,99€ for low fees per kwh below Tesla current rates in Germany.

So imho Tesla can either offer non subscription cost model with slightly higher prices per kwh or a 5-10€/month subscription with same costs as currently around 40ct/kwh.

I would personally prefer to having a subscription model of 9,99€/month with the same costs as Tesla owners per kwh - this would help Tesla build out the network and keep pricing-structure simple for all parties - I would maybe ad a sign-up fee around 20€ that gets waived if you subscribe to a 12 or 24 month term contract.
Does Lidl provide free ccs charging in Germany?
They do here.. only 50kw max though.

Looks like you have the same mess as we do here.. price depends on charger and what app you use and how you use, and which position the moon happens to be at etc..
3rd party charging is a big mess.

Early assignment of 490C. Bullish?

Not sure if anyone came across something similar and posted here in the last several days, sharing FWIW.

I had Sep-17-2021 490C sold, IBKR assigned and took my shares.
Fortunately, most of those shares were bought this year in 6xx-7xx range.
There's more than 2 weeks to expiry, and 490C is not too deep ITM, but still someone needed shares. Maybe this is bullish?
If this information is helpful, you are welcome :p

In case you are wondering if I chose to give away shares instead of buying the call back, when you have calls sold and they get ITM, IBKR doesn't send you a notification of assignment prior to assignment, they send a notification at the end of the day, after your shares get assigned on that day.
Given an opportunity, I would've bought back those calls sold.

@Artful Dodger @generalenthu @Papafox @Curt Renz @bxr140

the net assignment is a result of the net exercises across participants at OCC, which is discovered via EOD processing. the exercise which you were assigned against may not have originated at IBKR, which is why it’s difficult to notify anyone in that scenario.

A Sep 16, 2022 $500 Call is priced at $285. I usually write puts/calls but this was too much of a bargain so I bought 2.

What are your thoughts on multiples of tech company shares, TSLA particularly, once it's clear that interest rates will start to go up soon. Likely in 1H 2022?

If US interest rates rise in 2022, then I believe Tech Stock multiples will drop; however, TSLA is at a different growth trajectory than most big cap tech stocks.
So the decrease in multiple for TSLA would mean a decrease in stock price from say $1,500 to $1,200 for example. To buy a Sep 2022 $500 call at $285, I have to believe that TSLA will be above $785 by Sep 2022 regardless of macro environment. I'm comfortable with that. If fact, my plan is to sell the Call by Q1 2022.
Not investment advice . . .I rarely buy calls and with money I can afford to lose.

If US interest rates rise in 2022, then I believe Tech Stock multiples will drop; however, TSLA is at a different growth trajectory than most big cap tech stocks.
So the decrease in multiple for TSLA would mean a decrease in stock price from say $1,500 to $1,200 for example. To buy a Sep 2022 $500 call at $285, I have to believe that TSLA will be above $785 by Sep 2022 regardless of macro environment. I'm comfortable with that. If fact, my plan is to sell the Call by Q1 2022.
Not investment advice . . .I rarely buy calls and with money I can afford to lose.
And between now and selling it, you could sell covered calls against it, $2-3 per week premium would get your money back regardless of the stock price movements

Umm - Did Anyone Notice What's Happening in Europe? 😲
For the countries where August data is available thus far, deliveries for the first 2 months are up 55% over Q2's first 2 months.
We are still missing Germany and the UK (2 of the largest EU markets); I expect the 55% growth to drop when these 2 markets report but the trend looks great so far.
Model Y is driving much of this.

1630669327324.png

Link to the data:

I'm sorry, but isn't all this info coming from Sawyer Merritt, an attention whore who's been wrong more often than he is right? Some of this news sounds like complete nonsense (no steering wheel or pedals for Model 2)

Elon specifically mentioned ditching the wheel in general back on Autonomy day so that's not nonsense at all- it's something we've been explicitly told, over 2 years ago, that the CEO wants to do- including offering to remove it from cars that already have it eventually. Being forever optimistic about FSD being nearly done it's entirely surprising he'd want to do it for a future model too, especially the one most likely to be tagged for general RT use.

Reactions: WarpedOne

The great thing about this sentiment is that every quarter we get affirmation of it’s correctness. The amazing success of first principal thinking is born out in the amazing economy of being less wrong repeatedly. It is inspiring and optimistic in a world that needs just that.

Don't tell some posters that Elon says large pouch are dangerous. They will tell you it is dendrites or x, or y. In the meantime pouches are failing in every application ...constantly. I'm not even an engineer and I think I was able to draw that correlation and make the conclusion that all that GM investment in a large pouch battery form...is problematic. Typical GM

Which EVs use pouch cells? Do we have a list?

Which EVs use pouch cells? Do we have a list?

Claims they're used in the iPace, Taycan, etron, Bolt, Kona, and Leaf.
Dunno if that's accurate or complete though.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd