Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that the application refers to the battery pack marriage. However the point I was making was that as far as I am aware model Y production has been in GA5 for several months, not GA 4/4.5. That is why I asked if anyone could confirm which GA line is being used for Model Y.

If GA4/4.5 is not being used for Model Y production then the question is battery marriage for what? Perhaps developing/refining the processes to be used for Y in Austin/Berlin?
Part of the changes are making the sprung structure permanent with a foundation and utilities. So maybe they moved into the building to allow that construction and then they'll move back.

Yeah, its got nothing to do with that. Cybertruck won't be profitable unless and until the 4680 bty supply is online at Giga Texas.

Tesla isn't going to build an unprofitable vehicle when those same 2170 cells could be put into more Models Y (which are EXTREMELY profitable).

Oh wait, here it is now: ;)

Cheers!

I speculate that the new construction between stamping and GA. with the deep strong footings is for Cybertruck Origami.
Also that the Model Y GA is complete, the Cybertruck GA is under construction, and is a lower priority than cell production.
The construction phase for Cybertruck is probably complete closer to the end of this year.

Internal dependencies:-
  • Construction
  • Equipment installation and testing
  • Staff recruitment training
  • Austin Cell production
  • HW4? (cost?)
  • Onsite cathode plant.
External dependencies:-
  • IDRA 8000 series stamping machine(s),
  • Production equipment, including folding machines.
  • Stainless Steel Alloy (new factory?)
  • General Parts - including new designs..
  • Raw materials for volume cell production
  • Computer Chips
Overall my hunch would be trail production of small volumes of Cybertrucks around the middle of 22.

Any dependency from the internal and external list above could be setting the timeline, my list might not even be complete..

Elon did make some positive comments about Doug Field.

Doug is one of the smartest managers I've had the pleasure to report to. Him going to Ford is kinda astounding me. While I wish him the best, I truly hope is given the ability to do all the things he wants, at the speed he wants without any legacy cruft getting in his way. I just don't see how that is going to happen...

Serious question and I am copying @RobStark and @jbcarioca who have some knowledge of OEM operations:

If there is truly a chip shortage creating supply issues and no demand issue, why are there still incentives offered in Sept?
View attachment 706293
Such incentives normally grow around model changeover, even for high demand models. These would disappear normally if inventory days on hand (doh)dropped below ~45 days, ~60 doh being traditional US ‘normal’. Recent reports describe average doh around 25 days. More telling is the JD Power dealer survey with August 2020 average vehicle gross margin of $2231, August 2021 of $4430.

Thus these six ought to be incentive-free unless they are in the midst of major model changeover. The Enclave is in the midst of a major changeover. The Acadia is a continuing model. The Avalon is not doing well and will be discontinued in the US after the 2022 Model. The Equinix now sold is the 2022 Model since
the end of the first quarter so the 2021’s are leftovers, thus the high cash back.
The XTS has had steadily shrinking sales for some time. It is expected to be discontinued by some, including me.
The Jeep Renegade is a badge-engineered Fiat 500X that has major deficiencies in the US market although it fares well in Fiat’s largest market, Brazil. It fits poorly in the US.

Thus there are different reasons for each of these. As usual a single cause (e.g. chip shortage) is a great cover story. Reality is not so simple. Most OEM’s made major capacity reductions in the midst of pandemic hysteria. None have preserved supply chains and updating, including BEV’s.
None prepared for raid increase of technology requirements, hence chips. Chip fabs, substrate suppliers and all the others did not prepare for the demands cars, especially BEVs would have. They also cut back on factory capacity and employees.

Right now they all have discovered a new excuse for poor preparedness, chip shortage. The absence of new production has raised used car prices. Why? Among the prime factors was the absence of the largest US manufacturer of used cars, the car rental industry. Nearly all,of them went broke last year and sold off their inventory to raise cash. They had few customers anyway. Now they haven’t new cars so car rental rates are absurdly high. OEM’s don’t have capacity to sell them.

This litany if errors produces , at the same time, some models with high incentives and few buyers, no supply for popular models and lack of innovation to meet future challenges.

Mostly journalists cannot quite handle multiple conflicting influences.

As usual, these are my opinions, not necessarily facts.

how-dare-you-greta-thunberg.gif

I wonder if they say the same thing about the 911?

"Really Porsche, we've seen this car before, its [checks notes] 50 years old and you are still trying to sell the same old car! Ok you've changed the chassis, engine, interior, all the glass, the wheels and the body (a bit) but come on, give us a new car!"
I'm stealing this and posting it on Twitter 🤫

I wonder if they say the same thing about the 911?

"Really Porsche, we've seen this car before, its [checks notes] 50 years old and you are still trying to sell the same old car! Ok you've changed the chassis, engine, interior, all the glass, the wheels and the body (a bit) but come on, give us a new car!"
The car of Theseus.