Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1631551708286.png

Holy smokes, I never thought about this. Wow yes, Tesla could create a "Google Street View", only with high resolution data that is far more up-to-date than Street View!
Remember the cars with cameras aren't the only thing. The other things are the computer that receives and crunches the images, where it now appears that DoJo will outclass Google for this purpose. And the software running on the computer, which quite obviously is capable of creating vectorised models of what it is seeing. At the moment that vector capability is concentrated on the moving stuff, and the drivable area. But in time (and running off-line) that will create a vector-space representation of everythng within viewing range of Tesla vehicles. Just imagine the uses for that, rather than simply dumb raster pixel images.

Cool.

So I keep seeing people saying Austin is ahead of Berlin. I just cant grasp why. Can someone help with this. Berlin has been nearly fully enclosed for what seems like 6 months. Now I understand the red tape is harder to get around in Germany. Has it stopped equipment from getting installed? Has the equipment been installed, but not tested because no permit yet? Yes we see Austin more active now, but that is because we can see more outside work going on. I will say it does seem that Austin is moving along outside paving more parking and logistics areas.

Sept macro fears, no other plausible explanation for this sharp break.
high p/e stocks get hit disproportionately

In May they were saying we were going down because of the good old mantra ‘sell in May and go away, but remember to be back in September’. And now it’s ‘September macro fears’? And on Friday it was ‘derisking because of the 9/11 anniversary’.

Let’s face it, we don’t know the reason. The market doesn’t even need a reason for a sell off. A sudden stampede can be caused by a butterfly flapping its wings in rural China.

I'll admit to reading every thing posted here. Even playing catch up when I let a few days lapse.

However, it seems like smiling and moving along to the next post always serves me better than getting caught up in the "this or that caused the SP to move" speculations.

With any system as complex as a stock exchange there will rarely be a single cause and effect relationship with movement. I'm in for the long haul anyway, so why get wound up over something temporary that is governed as much by Chaos Theory as any other single thing?

Remember the cars with cameras aren't the only thing. The other things are the computer that receives and crunches the images, where it now appears that DoJo will outclass Google for this purpose.

Dojo is not remotely designed or intended to do google-type street mapping, and would be a nonsensical waste of resources to try and use for that purpose.

Dojos entire point is it's REALLY REALLY great at the specific thing it's actually designed to do (AI/NN training).... rather than the more general "throw of bunch of generic GPUs at it" solutions others are using for that thing.

We saw the same done by Tesla with the HW3 system offering fantastic bang/buck compared to Nvidias generic "throw GPUs at it" HW2.x hardware- but again it meant the Tesla solution could do THAT task FAR better--- but specializing meant it gave up the much wider-purpose computing usefulness Nvidias setup hd-- hence why they're not selling that chip to a bunch of other companies for other uses as Nvidia does with theirs. It's a much better solution for that SPECIFIC job- but it doesn't seem to stop people from continually suggesting silly uses it'd be terrible at like crypto mining.

Point being It is not intended as a general purpose computing system and neither is Dojo.

That's apart from Teslas fleet of 0.9 megapixel, mounted low on the vehicle, cameras not being capable of capturing anywhere near the amount or resolution of data Googles streetview rigs do due to order of magnitude differences in the sensor suite.

Dojo, when the full thing is up and running, has a primary job of massively improving FSD training, and a secondary (and here's your added revenue stream that makes sense) job of eventually allowing AI-training-as-a-service type offers and THAT would be a legit product to take customers from google.

Street mapping, not so much.

So I keep seeing people saying Austin is ahead of Berlin. I just cant grasp why. Can someone help with this. Berlin has been nearly fully enclosed for what seems like 6 months. Now I understand the red tape is harder to get around in Germany. Has it stopped equipment from getting installed? Has the equipment been installed, but not tested because no permit yet? Yes we see Austin more active now, but that is because we can see more outside work going on. I will say it does seem that Austin is moving along outside paving more parking and logistics areas.
Berlin started something like 8 months before Austin and in this respect is 8 months behind Austin and 12 months behind Shanghai for first production. This despite that Austin had a lot of earthmoving to complete on site, Austin suffered weather-related setbacks, and this phase for Austin is substantially larger than Berlin's.

Berlin started something like 8 months before Austin and in this respect is 8 months behind Austin and 12 months behind Shanghai. This despite that Austin had a lot of earthmoving to complete on site, Austin suffered weather-related setbacks, and this phase for Austin is substantially larger than Berlin's.
Plus ya know the fact that Austin has made a few completed test vehicles and Berlin hasn't. There's no question Texas is ahead, in fact way ahead.

Depends on the definition of "ahead". The thought is that Austin will be used to manufacture Model Y before they have 4680 volume, whereas Berlin will depend on the 4680.

In May they were saying we were going down because of the good old mantra ‘sell in May and go away, but remember to be back in September’. And now it’s ‘September macro fears’? And on Friday it was ‘derisking because of the 9/11 anniversary’.

Let’s face it, we don’t know the reason. The market doesn’t even need a reason for a sell off. A sudden stampede can be caused by a butterfly flapping its wings in rural China.
Reason for market moves ? Pfffft...
1631554414676.png

Nobody has ever seen a butterfly in China