Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read my post. Correction triggered from last Friday's price action. Red days ahead for the S&P and will be red for a few weeks. However the current prediction is Tsla will be okay.
That depends. If Evergrande is actually allowed to default then we all better watch our backs. We haven't opened Austin and Berlin yet, so our factories are in Fremont and Shanghai. We're still highly dependent on China and will be until at least mid-2022 when Austin and Berlin are ramped up. All of China is so beyond over-leveraged it makes 2008 look like a small ice cube compared the China housing bubble iceberg. I want to think that surely Chairman Pooh knows that he can't let Evergrande default or he will let China crash but who knows what he will do.

I wonder if the UAW has donated to any causes these days other than buying off anti Tesla Presidents and lobbyists.

How dare you try to besmirch the philanthropy of the autoworker's union. The UAW has a long history of donating union dues to non-profit causes. If you look into it you will find they like to keep it in the family, ie, donate large amounts to charities run by union officials:

/s

That depends. If Evergrande is actually allowed to default then we all better watch our backs. We haven't opened Austin and Berlin yet, so our factories are in Fremont and Shanghai. We're still highly dependent on China and will be until at least mid-2022 when Austin and Berlin are ramped up. All of China is so beyond over-leveraged it makes 2008 look like a small ice cube compared the China housing bubble iceberg. I want to think that surely Chairman Pooh knows that he can't let Evergrande default or he will let China crash but who knows what he will do.
Evergrande defaulting is not new news. Their stocks has been in the tanker and they were talking about it since last week. Every correction is always due to something, covid, evergrande, the list goes on but a correction is a correction and will take an elevator down until it bounces. And that bounce will come from feds printing money or China not letting them default..who knows.

Reactions: The Accountant
I largely agree with this but you fail to emphasize how first principle thinking guides what sorts of things to try. Back in history there were two famous successful technical people with very different styles: Edison and Tesla. Edison was famous for "trying a lot of things" while Tesla used a scientific methodology to guide what things to try. Today Tesla the company uses Musk's strategy which is more similar to Tesla's than Edison's. When you say "Tesla tries lots of things and many times they are wrong," it makes it sound like they take an Edison-like approach throwing everything (mostly randomly) against the wall and see what sticks type of approach. Tesla doesn't do that.

Here I completely disagree. If Electrify America (EA) had a track record of competency then it might have been a sensible strategy, but they don't so it wasn't. Lucid could have partnered with Tesla (as Tesla has expressed willingness to partner on charging from the start of the supercharger network). Tesla never set out to build a proprietary network - they set out to build an effective charging network. It ended up proprietary only because all competitors actively worked to thwart Tesla at standards bodies to adopt inferior standards with hopes of sidelining Tesla. Still any competitor could have (and still can if they're serious about a real partnership) join the supercharger network.

I don't know what motivates Rivian's decision, but it could be that they think existing charging systems (including Tesla's) are technically inferior and only by building their own can they make a superior charging network that they believe is necessary/warranted. If so, that would be closer to Tesla's way than Lucid's.

The reality is probably that both Lucid's and Rivian's decisions are entirely business decisions. Lucid needs a network sooner than later but probably doesn't want to partner with a competitor and they don't have the desire or resources to make a charging network. I think that Rivian thinks it has such deep resources it can build a network to replace EA's but that is competently made and maintained and that they will use CCS so they can use EA until theirs is better and eventually other car makers will use their new network too. I don't believe they will make a proprietary network.

Tesla also makes plenty of business decisions and Musk is talented in this area too. He has a different view from most business leaders but I'm not sure you could call these first principles. They are Musk's principles but business isn't governed by the laws of physics (although it isn't exempt from them :)) but instead the laws made by humans. Most accepted business wisdom is that monopolies, rent-seeking, advertising, and government favoritism are excellent strategies. That moats and locking in your customers are very beneficial. Sadly those are the accepted "first principles" of business. It's not clear that Musk's business principals are superior in the make-the-most-money sense but they are very effective when combined with the many advantages of the first-principle technical approach.

Elon has a beef with Lucid CEO Peter Rawlinson.

Elon said Peter abruptly left Tesla after being Model S Chief Engineer for a while and left Tesla in the lurch. He throws shade at Peter every ~18 months on twitter. Peter is usually very complimentary of Tesla specifically but usually doesn't mention Elon.

I don't think a deal between Tesla and Lucid directly is realistic. Tesla allowing any CCS owner including Lucid the ability to download the Tesla app, upload a CC#, and use the Supercharger Network now looks likely.

Elon has a beef with Rivian. Tesla has filed a lawsuit alleging Rivian stole trade secrets. A direct deal between Tesla and Rivian seems unlikely as long as that lawsuit is pending.

Rivian will use the CCS standard. They said their fast charging network will be exclusively for Rivian customers and their slow charging destination chargers will be for everybody. Or at least all CCS owners.

It looks like they are already taking big steps to assure confidence:

Evergrande defaulting is not new news. Their stocks has been in the tanker and they were talking about it since last week. Every correction is always due to something, covid, evergrande, the list goes on but a correction is a correction and will take an elevator down until it bounces. And that bounce will come from feds printing money or China not letting them default..who knows.
Even if the China market crashes, production would likely not be impacted. China sales might drop, but that's of little consequence.

Deliveries would simply shift to Europe and other export markets that much faster; the China market isn't as important as one would think as Tesla is so massively production constrained globally . . . .

Talking to a new owner of a model 3, I guess Vancouver is in full delivery mode with dozens if not 100’s of new Tesla’s leaving the delivery centres everyday.

Interesting to note on auto trader, we are down to

- 3 new Leafs available in the province,
- no Bolts as there is a stop sale order
- 11 Konas
- 143 Mustang Mach E’s.

The Mach E number surprised me. I thought they were all pretty much pre-sold.

cheers.

Some dealers advertise their allocation. Mach-e they will have delivered shortly.

Some have Mach-e in stock at prices significantly above MSRP.

Other dealers just suck at selling cars. They can't quickly sell their allocation of hot sellers at MSRP quickly.

Last edited:
On the matter of Lucid Motors…

In his Ted Talk, “How great leaders inspire action”, Simon Sinek states that “people don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it.” I am advocate of Tesla based on their “Master Plan“; the advancement of sustainable transportation and renewable energy. The “Master Plan” designed to remedy climate change. This begs the question, why has Saudi Arabia invested in Lucid Motors?

The one idea where I completely disagreed with Elon, was taking Tesla private—especially when it involved Saudi Arabia. I mistrust the motives of Saudi Arabia, but I hope to be proven wrong. Could this be the greatest hedge of all time?

The Dog calculates 83,001.

Ironically, the bear is at 246K :p

Kodiak_moment.jpg

Should've been 250K at least, so they could deny 1M/yr annualized run-rate.

Before Austin+Berlin. :D

Cheers!

If the Tesla Insurance calculator wants us to use Autopilot as much as possible, then our family may have a challenge when we get The Button! Leaving home, we have to drive 16 miles of curvy mountain roads before reaching the freeway. Autopilot is not well suited for this drive, unless perhaps there's heavy traffic. Ironically, the FSD Beta software would likely do a much better job on mountain roads. Maybe we'll need to take the car somewhere else for a week.

In any event, I'm looking forward to seeing how well that calculator seems to rate us. This could end up being quite relevant to our TSLA positions.

I donated $500 yesterday and now I'm starting to feel ashamed!

Way to go Elon, $50 million!!

To be fair to myself, I would have donated more but I already feel like I'm getting a TERRIBLE value on medical here in the US. The system is hugely inefficient, expensive, rife with mistakes and broken. And these problems are not due to a lack of money but because of profit motive! And yet, ironically, it is because of this that we need to donate, especially for children whose parents cannot afford it, so I donated. St. Jude is part of that small portion that has nothing to do with profit (except for over-priced supplies, equipment and other things they must spend money on).
This is so true. Maybe the next industry Elon should disrupt is healthcare.

Classic Toyota...