Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like fun sized factories.

It seems like an odd place to put it if Nevada is maxing out on cell capacity to supply Fremont. Kato Rd is making nickel batteries afaik, which are targeted for Berlin/Austin/Semi in the short term, and are more suited to vehicle production.

Where is Tesla getting the cells for this over the medium/long term?

The megapacks are intended to use LFP cells from CATL last I heard

Hey, we're basically back to where we were last week!
🥸
snakes and ladders.png

It seems like an odd place to put it if Nevada is maxing out on cell capacity to supply Fremont. Kato Rd is making nickel batteries afaik, which are targeted for Berlin/Austin/Semi in the short term, and are more suited to vehicle production.

my question is:
How close is it to the lithium mine?

The article says its Megapack v2 using CATL LFP prismatic batteries. The factory needs to be near a port. Sealift will be essential for both inbound and outbound logistics.

my question is:
How close is it to the lithium mine?

Stationary storage isn't limited to lithium chemistries. They could do quite well with sodium ion chemistries, which are literally cheap like seawater.

The article says its Megapack v2 using CATL LFP prismatic batteries. The factory needs to be near a port. Sealift will be essential for both inbound and outbound logistics.

Stationary storage isn't limited to lithium chemistries. They could do quite well with sodium ion chemistries, which are literally cheap like seawater.
LFP is what I was thinking they would be using. It still seems a little strange to ship the cells then manufacture in the US. Why not build the megapacks in China and ship the finished product? Maybe import tariffs?

There’s actually a very large population base to support a Tesla factory in Stockton. In fact, a large percentage of Tesla Fremont employees commute from the Stockton area. Mostly assembly, construction and maintenance employees. The R&D and finance employees are from the greater Bay Area.

Also Sacramento (the state capital) is near the the Stockton factory and they have a decent population of tech labor.

This has been my experience meeting many Tesla employees in Fremont over the years.

There’s actually a very large population base to support a Tesla factory in Stockton. In fact, a large percentage of Tesla Fremont employees commute from the Stockton area. Mostly assembly, construction and maintenance employees. The R&D and finance employees are from the greater Bay Area.

Also Sacramento (the state capital) is near the the Stockton factory and they have a decent population of tech labor.

This has been my experience meeting many Tesla employees in Fremont over the years.
Stockton also has a deep water port. Though I believe ships are limited to the PANAMAX class.

LFP is what I was thinking they would be using. It still seems a little strange to ship the cells then manufacture in the US. Why not build the megapacks in China and ship the finished product? Maybe import tariffs?
CATL USA will inevitably build LFP cells in N. America. Remember, the LFP patents are coming off starting next month, and all of them by Apr 2022.

CATL is in the middle of a $9B Cap Raise for expansion with 6 more factories around the world. USA will be one, because Tesla is their BEST customer.

If we could just get some high buying volume to come into the stock tomorrow or Friday, I doubt MM's would really spend the money to protect 750 and would instead focus on 780 or 800. But volume of only 13-15 million shares just isn't going to cut it.
I'll see what I can do...😀

There could be a new Tesla record in Norway this quarter. Big deal you say? With a growing EV market everywhere it's almost hard for Tesla not to set a new record in most markets.

But in Norway the EV share is so high, possibly something like 80% this quarter, that it's not that easy. Especially since in the Norwegian market all the established brands are now actually trying for real to sell their EVs. I don't think there is any other market that has almost every important player putting in an effort.

When Tesla set the current record during the start of European m3 deliveries in Q1 2019 a lot less models were competing.

So that record is 7,174 cars. So far with seven weekdays to go Tesla is at 5,982. That is 1,192 behind. Which translates to 170 cars per weekday remaining.

Considering you have to go back almost ten days to find a day with less than 170 sold it's almost certain there will be a new record. Today was 303.

Unless of course they run out of cars to sell before the end of the month.
Current Norwegian quarterly record is 7,174 cars. With seven six weekdays to go Tesla is at 5,982 6,226. That is 1,192 948 behind. Which translates to 170 158 cars per weekday remaining. Todays sales were 303 239.

It seems like a final ship is going from Zeebrugge to Oslo arriving this weekend. If it is indeed carrying Teslas this record should get smashed.

CATL USA will inevitably build LFP cells in N. America. Remember, the LFP patents are coming off starting next month, and all of them by Apr 2022.

CATL is in the middle of a $9B Cap Raise for expansion with 6 more factories around the world. USA will be one, because Tesla is their BEST customer.

CATL sodium batteries might not be cheaper than LFP until say 2025.

But a Megapack design using CATL LFP is probably compatible with CATL sodium, and I can't see why CATL would not eventually make sodium batteries in the US.

When Tesla's lithium clay process works, the other option is in house Tesla LFP 4680 cells, Tesla may also want to put 4680 LFP cells into cars..

So why not do both, support CATL lithium/sodium cells and support Tesla 4680 LFP cells.

If the Megapack design / manufacture process was adaptable to this level of flexibility, that is ideal.

Anyone have a solid read on Fords monthly global vehicle unit sales totals? seen a few figures suggesting that deliveries have slowed so much this quarter that given Tesla’s wave style of quarterly deliveries in China & EU, that there may be an outside chance that Tesla ships more vehciles in Sep than ford does. chances much more likely if trucks/vans are excluded (So comparing cars/suvs)

Last edited: